wildefanforever

K1 visa income requirement (Merged threads)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

u say K1  so its 100% at the embassy interview

125% when you marry and go thru the AOS process

its not just u alone /K1  includes the bene so its for 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
10 minutes ago, wildefanforever said:

I need to be at 125% ?

For K-1 / I-134, 100 percent

For I-485 / I-864, 125 percent

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

But really the point is that you should aim higher than the minimum because interviewing officers look at the totality of circumstances in your case.  So, 125% of the HHS guidelines is a better target to aim for than hoping to squeeze by with the minimum.

43 minutes ago, wildefanforever said:

Thanks guys! Ok so for the I134/K1 embassy interview 100%   $19,720 .......got it

Yes. But... Be aware that when your fiancé(e) is approved, moves to the US, and you marry, they will have to go through the Adjustment of Status process to apply for the green card. This needs to be done within 90 days after entering the US. This process comes with an I-864, which will require you to be at 125%. So yes, the visa may be approved if you are just at 100%, but you need to plan for what comes after that if you want to eventually get the green card.

Timeline

It is best  to use 125 percent because IMO, few K-1 petitioners can magically increase their income by 25 percent when their betrothed moves to U.S.  

My problem is that I stated my job in May of 2023. I had no income for the since late 2022.  Basically I didn't work a full year.

So I know next year my income would be well above the 125%.  I was just worried about doing K1/I134 in 2023.

Edited by wildefanforever

• powerpuff changed the title to K1 visa income requirement (Merged threads)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 hours ago, wildefanforever said:

My problem is that I stated my job in May of 2023. I had no income for the since late 2022.  Basically I didn't work a full year.

So I know next year my income would be well above the 125%.  I was just worried about doing K1/I134 in 2023.

You need paystubs and/or a letter (on letterhead) from your job to demonstrate your current income. If your current income will equate to more than 125% of the poverty guidelines after 1 year, you will most likely be fine. Past income (from tax returns) doesn't matter as much but keep in mind that it is at the discretion of the officer to determine whether your income is sufficient. Some consulates are more strict than others.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline

If your current income will equate to more than 125% of the poverty guidelines after 1 year, you will most likely be fine.

Thanks beloved_dingo for the reply. So are you saying that if my employer provides a letter with my salary info, etc. for a year period, I should be ok?

Sorry I get confused. If I worked the full year and knew I made ex. $40000, I'd know all is fine.    But I only worked since May 2023.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.