az_jared

Is a fiance or marriage visa a better path if getting pregnant during the application process?

55 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2023 at 3:55 PM, medellingringo said:

I would say that having a child that is a US citizen and has a US passport before the wife's visa interview is a positive overall. Our child was born when my wife was 30 and I was 56. When our daughter was a about 9 months old we went to the US embassy and got her a US passport. Then about a year and a half later we applied for my wife's visa. Took about 14 months to get the visa.  Very easy interview. Considering the age gap and the fact that I had been married a few times before to younger foreign women. 

On a side note I had to get a DNA test to prove the child was mine. I was told by the embassy that they probably wouldn't have required the DNA test if I had been married to my wife at the time the our child was born. Also I moved to and  lived with my wife and child in Colombia shortly after our child was born and stayed there until my wife got her immigrant visa. 

Thank you very much for sharing. I am happy to hear of your success. Do I  understand you correctly that you were not yet married when your child was born? What embassy did you go through?

Edited by az_jared
Typo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

I would think the child born abroad would have no issue as the child would be provided a passport. The mother would have to go to the US Embassy or Consulate to report the birth from my understanding.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html

On 6/11/2023 at 10:01 PM, az_jared said:

My fiance and I are both almost 43 and want a child very much. By the time a visa is given, it may be too late to start a family. How does getting pregnant/having a child during the application process affect the process? Does anyone have experience with this? Would it be better to apply for a fiance or a marriage visa if we may get pregnant/have a child during the process?

We both got residency in Spain, and waited there during our years-long spousal visa application.  (My spouse cannot enter the US without a visa, and so we could not do AOS as suggested by some of our confused European friends.) 

Spain has great IVF clinics.  

Edited by erika86
clarify

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My wife got pregnant with our first child right before we started the K1 visa process.  Did it complicate the process for K1?  No, but it adds stress to everyone.

Did I sweat bullets having to do CBRA + K1 Visa interviews 2 days in a row?  Heck yes.  I was worried the consulate would force us to do DNA testing to verify the child was mine since we weren't 'married' at the time.  Funny enough, the consulate officer had me hold up my 1 month old daughter next to me, saw she REALLY looked like me, and then had me lower her and continued with the interview.

I honestly think it may had helped the K1 visa approval that we had the CBRA interview the day before my wife's K1 visa interview.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Both are major life decisions, child and immigration.  If you wait with having a child there's a strong chance you will not be able to conceive.  Having a child before you actually travel may add a delay to the process, but you'll still be able to get the visa.  That way you have both a child and your visa.  Don't wait with having the child.

Edited by Maxheadspace

On 6/20/2023 at 8:56 PM, CarlosV said:

I would think the child born abroad would have no issue as the child would be provided a passport. The mother would have to go to the US Embassy or Consulate to report the birth from my understanding.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html

No US embassy in Iran. They'd have to go through Protecting Power which is Swiss embassy for CRBA and to Turkey for IV appointment.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 6/18/2023 at 9:21 PM, Boiler said:

Wow I do not think I have seen a K3 here in a decade

Back in 2006 was when K3 was truly popular since it took years to get spouse here. Man they filed a minute ago.  WOW.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 6/12/2023 at 5:43 PM, Dashinka said:

OP is short for “original poster” of the thread, in this case you.  I agree with the others that suggest given the country of your girlfriend, I would also recommend the spousal visa route.  You can do the Utah online Zoom wedding when you are next together in Turkey.

Good Luck!

Just FYI the two people getting married don;t have to be in same place. But they do have to "Consummate" meet up after the ceremony and before filing I-130. I know a few coupes who have done the UTAH zoom wedding and both parties were in different countries all approved and living in US. This zoom thing getting popular in these had to marry places and especially for those condemned to get married in certain countries so they keep it on the low low.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.