Gaps0214

State Department Has Not Returned My Certificate of Naturalization

32 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I would like to get your suggestion on what I can do to follow up the return of my original Certificate of Naturalization from the State Department.

I received my passport last March 2023 and now it has been 2 months since and there is no sign of the CON in the mail whatsoever.

I think we deserve to have our original CON document back not only for all the financial resources we had to invest to obtain it but also its value and importance as the culmination of our long and significant journey and proof of our commitment to the United States .

I wrote to NPIC@state.gov and the reply I got is:

Thank you for contacting the National Passport Information Center. All  the information you need about current passport operations and services is conveniently located on our website at travel.state.gov. 

Note: If you are sending this e-mail to cancel your appointment at a passport agency, we will cancel it immediately. Thank you for making it available to another customer.

This is the only reply you will receive to your email.

It's almost unbelievable to note the absurdity of their auto-reply. Not very helpful at all.

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

G&A

Contact your senator. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

28 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

Hello everyone, 

I would like to get your suggestion on what I can do to follow up the return of my original Certificate of Naturalization from the State Department.

I received my passport last March 2023 and now it has been 2 months since and there is no sign of the CON in the mail whatsoever.

I think we deserve to have our original CON document back not only for all the financial resources we had to invest to obtain it but also its value and importance as the culmination of our long and significant journey and proof of our commitment to the United States .

Thank you for contacting the National Passport Information Center. All  the information you need about current passport operations and services is conveniently located on our website at travel.state.gov. 

Note: If you are sending this e-mail to cancel your appointment at a passport agency, we will cancel it immediately. Thank you for making it available to another customer.

It's almost unbelievable to note the absurdity of their auto-reply. Not very helpful at all.

Cheers,

G&A

Why in the world did you send the original???

11 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Why in the world did you send the original???

I don't know about you but to apply for a US passport as a naturalized citizen you have to submit the original Certificate of Naturalization together with your application form.

Thanks for your comment, I'd welcome a more helpful one though. So thanks, but no thanks.

26 minutes ago, discoverusa said:

Contact your senator. 

Excellent idea 😀 I just did that with Patty Murray. 

Do you think I should write to the other one as well?

We all get two US senators to ask for help. Have you had any experience getting help from them with your immigration issues with federal agencies?

Thanks again.

In fairness to OP, the state.gov instructions and application form do state that originals should be submitted and will be returned: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/citizenship-evidence.html

"Separate mailings: You may receive your newly issued U.S. passport book and/or card and your citizenship evidence in two separate
mailings. If you are applying for both a book and card, you may receive three separate mailings: one with your returned evidence, one
with your newly issued book, and one with your newly issued card. All documentary evidence that is not damaged, altered, or
forged will be returned to you. Photocopies will not be returned."

There's a phone number to call on the passport application form. Talking to a human would be better at this point.

If all else fails, file N-565: https://www.uscis.gov/n-565

Edited by Adventine

9 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

I don't know about you but to apply for a US passport as a naturalized citizen you have to submit the original Certificate of Naturalization together with your application form.

Thanks for your comment, I'd welcome a more helpful one though. So thanks, but no thanks.

Per the site's TOS, anyone may comment.

It is VERY unusual that an original document of any type would be required.  Even natural born USCs applying for passports send certified copies of birth certificates.  If, however, that was required, then it sounds like they have no standard means of returning them to the thousands of people who do the same thing, so you'd be out of luck.

Edited by SalishSea

18 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

Excellent idea 😀 I just did that with Patty Murray. 

Do you think I should write to the other one as well?

We all get two US senators to ask for help. Have you had any experience getting help from them with your immigration issues with federal agencies?

Thanks again.

I only dealt with one at the time. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

Apparently this is the director of the passport agency:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/orlando-l-rivera-a0917242  

I would try writing that person or Secretary Blinken. I would also try calling the passport agency phone number and request to speak to a manager.

says the passport agency will pay for a replacement.

42 minutes ago, manyfudge said:

This what the DOS says,

74ED5BFA-4F3F-46BB-8A37-4CEB82A7C88C.png

Thank you for this information. I will contact my passport processing center as indicated in the website.

Cheers,

G&A

5 hours ago, Gaps0214 said:

Hello everyone, 

Cheers,

G&A

Did you call any of those numbers?

Ask them for a tracking number of your Certificate.

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

Need Help?
Status Checks
General Questions
Technical Issues

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Gaps0214 said:

Original is required for passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Calicolom said:

Original is required for passport.

In general.

But then there is this well documented counter example:

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.