healthteacher

Can you delay paying immigrant fee until after arrival in US

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Can someone immigrating to the US on family (f2a) delay paying the immigrant fee of $325 until after they arrive in the US and start working?

Sure, the best way is to pay it as soon as possible, but there may only be enough funds to pay for the Medical Exam and other mandatory consular fees first.

I have read that an I-9 form and an I-551 visa stamped passport can be used for up to 1 year in place of a permanent resident card and social security card in order to prove legal resident status for employment.

Any other downsides to waiting a few weeks to pay the fee?

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You can pay after arrival, but you will still need a SSN along with your endorsed visa to apply for a job.  You can apply for an SSN soon after arrival at an SSA office as it is free, and it may take a few weeks before you get your SSN.

Good Luck!

Who Pays the Fee

We strongly encourage you to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee after you pick up your immigrant visa from the Department of State and before you depart for the United States.

If you cannot pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee, a family member, friend, employer, attorney, or accredited representative can pay for you. If someone pays the fee for you, they will need your Alien Number (A-Number) and Department of State (DOS) Case ID.

You may also pay the fee after you arrive in the United States. If you choose this option, we will send you a notice requesting payment with instructions on paying your fee. You will not receive your Green Card until you have paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-fees/uscis-immigrant-fee

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

*** Removed related thread in a different sub-forum.  Please post your related questions/updates in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

9 minutes ago, healthteacher said:

Is it mandatory to pay the immigrant visa fee at the time of consulate interview?

Will I be denied a visa or refused entry if I cannot pay it at the interview?

2 hours ago, healthteacher said:

Can someone immigrating to the US on family (f2a) delay paying the immigrant fee of $325 until after they arrive in the US and start working?

Sure, the best way is to pay it as soon as possible, but there may only be enough funds to pay for the Medical Exam and other mandatory consular fees first.

Immigrant Visa (IV) fee paid to NVC is different from the immigrant fee paid to USCIS.  You must pay the $325 IV fee for your case to proceed with NVC review and consulate processing.  No IV fee = no visa interview.  You won't even be able to upload the required civil documents if you don't pay the IV fee first.

The $220 immigrant fee is only required after the visa has already been issued.  It may be paid either before or after US entry.  The CBP officer at POE won't care or even know whether you already paid the fee or not.

4 minutes ago, healthteacher said:

Well the interview at the embassy has been scheduled, does that mean the $325 fee has already been paid if the interview is scheduled?

Yes.  So it's the $220 immigrant fee that you will need to pay after getting the visa.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, healthteacher said:

That helps. On a related note, could someone work for a few weeks or months without paying the $220 fee immediately,

by using an I-9 and a copy of the I-551 in passport?

You keep saying I-9, but that is a form an employer fills out related to a new employee.  For the employer to fill that out, you will need your stamped/endorsed visa which shows employment authorization and if you want to be paid your social security number/card (SSC/SSN).

image.thumb.png.eff08f404bb1f56c70c10aa57b9f7b21.png

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-9-paper-version.pdf

Edited by Dashinka

Just now, healthteacher said:

could someone work for a few weeks or months without paying the $220 fee immediately

Yes.  As soon as you get the CBP entry stamp on your immigrant visa, you are authorized to work.  You will need your SSN to get paid, though.  If you selected the SSN option on your DS-260 form, your SSN card should arrive within 2 weeks or so of your US entry.  If you don't get it after 1 month, go to an SSA office to apply in person.  Then after you get your SSN card, go to a DMV office to apply for a state ID or driver's license.  Valid state ID/DL + unrestricted SSN card is an acceptable combination of documents for the I-9 requirement.  No need to present a plastic green card or endorsed visa to your employer.

I think I read somewhere you do not need a social security number right away to be hired as long as you show a valid I-551 and fill out employer's I-9 form.

You still need to apply for SSN of course, also the employer should also have an application for a social security number for the employee to fill out.The immigrant may continue to work until documentation arrives in the mail.

5 minutes ago, healthteacher said:

yes, when going through the DS-260, SSN was checked. So  The SS card will also arrive without paying the $220 first?

Yes -- SSN card should arrive, even if you don't pay the $220 fee.  Sometimes it doesn't arrive, even for those who already paid the $220 fee.  If you don't get it after 1 month, apply in person at the SSA office.  Your employer will not apply for it on your behalf, nor give you the SSN application form.

Edited by Chancy

Timeline
12 minutes ago, healthteacher said:

I think I read somewhere you do not need a social security number right away to be hired as long as you show a valid I-551 and fill out employer's I-9 form.

You still need to apply for SSN of course, also the employer should also have an application for a social security number for the employee to fill out.The immigrant may continue to work until documentation arrives in the mail.

The employer will not have the SS-5 form for you to fill out for an SSN.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 hours ago, healthteacher said:

Hi,

I have read that an I-9 form and an I-551 visa stamped passport can be used for up to 1 year in place of a permanent resident card and social security card in order to prove legal resident status for employment.

Any other downsides to waiting a few weeks to pay the fee?

thanks

No issues. We did that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, healthteacher said:

I do not know of any US employer who will employ a person that does not have a SSN.  This has nothing to do with immigration.  It has everything to do with the IRS. 

I found this on the internet so I do not know if it is true.

Apparently it is completely acceptable and legal for an employer to hire a legal resident (or citizen) awaiting their social security card in the mail. You just cannot pay them like a regular w2 employee until the SSN arrives.

According to this article, a letter from social security may help to put the employer more at ease. 

Can I Start Working While I Wait to Receive My Social Security Card?

Yes, you can start to work before you receive your social security number.

To start working, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will require your employer to use your Social Security number to report your wages once you receive your card. While you wait, your employer should request a letter from the Social Security Administration that states you requested a number, and the employee is authorized to work in the United States.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.