xkomunikado

Next steps and precautions for US Tourist Visa Holder (merged)

37 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, xkomunikado said:

Yes. She has a return ticker. I was wondering if there is any other documents she can prepare for herself upon departure? Or to present to the port of entry. 

The return ticket and evidence of ties to home (does she have a job?  Employer letters detailing expected return date for work can help) are your best bets.  

Edited by SalishSea

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

If she is a senior citizen, honestly the return ticket should be fine. Just make sure she has a notebook/piece of paper  with your contact information (and maybe one other person in the states), your address and maybe your job name and your title. Don’t depend on phones as they can die, lose power. 

You haven’t said the country you are from and I don’t know if she speaks English but if she doesn’t you could always tell the airline in advance that she may need assistance. This is what I used to do when my grandmother travelled. 

Having the contact info/address  handy is important. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kanja said:

If she is a senior citizen, honestly the return ticket should be fine.

Health insurance, especially for an 11 week visit.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline
Just now, mam521 said:

Health insurance, especially for an 11 week visit.  

This is a new one for me.

I don’t know anyone that secured health insurance for a tourist visa. I’ll definitely put that in my toolbox and advise folks to secure that. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Definitely health insurance/travel insurance.  They're generally bundled together for a trip like this, and fairly cost effective.  I don't think anyone should come on a visit to the US without health insurance.  No matter how young or healthy you are, you never know what accidents might occur.

Edited by kiwibean

On J visas.  Spouse won DV lottery while in US.  Did AOS from the US.

Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

Spouse received citizenship in 2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

its always good to have a 2nd photo ID like a National ID card if country has this

but other documents?   no , it could look like the person intends to stay and adjust status which is fraud if planned

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Visitors buy Travel Insurance, Medical Expenses is part of the cover, arguably the most important section.

I am assuming she has a 10 year multi entry visa bit not all are issued that way. I have seen them issued with a trip time restriction, but that is advisory to the PoE.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
17 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Based on CBP officer's discretion not a specific policy, which is exactly what I said in my initial post. 

The length of both the visa and stay are defined case by case, not per country. 

6 hours ago, Boiler said:

Visitors buy Travel Insurance, Medical Expenses is part of the cover, arguably the most important section.

I am assuming she has a 10 year multi entry visa bit not all are issued that way. I have seen them issued with a trip time restriction, but that is advisory to the PoE.

It would require a tedious survey of the reciprocity schedule, but it is not hard to find countries where State says will issue only single entry short validity visas. For example:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Bhutan.html

Visa
Classification
Fee Number
of Entries
Validity
Period
B-1 None One 3 Months
B-2 None One 3 Months
B-1/B-2 None One 3 Months

Perhaps the visa validity is 3 months and OP is mis-interpreting that as the authorized stay

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
17 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

That's not an official source. Is there a policy that states so? 

You will get a stamp, in your passport, this tells you how long you can stay. Overstay, no more visa. Seems some people never travelled.

Timeline
13 hours ago, MaxP22 said:

The stamp can be wrong, always go by the online i94, not the stamp.

Always go by the soonest of:

* when you told CBP you would leave

* what the stamp says

* what I-94 says

Edited by Mike E

30 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Always go by the soonest of:

* when you told CBP you would leave

* what the stamp says

* what I-94 says

Err no, the i94 is what matters.

Not what you told CBP, or what the stamp says.

You can say whatever you want to CBP then change your plans, means nothing. Stamp can be wrong. I've personally had the wrong date stamped by CBP due to human error.

Best to not give advice about things you have no experience with.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, MaxP22 said:

Err no, the i94 is what matters.

I-94 is rope one can use to hang oneself.

Just because I-94 authorizes you to stay  90 days, 180 days or 6 months or (even 12 months as the FAM authorizes, and at least one CBPO claims to have done so), does not mean you should. There are no shortage of posts here that talk about B visa holders who spend too much time in U.S. and get a warning, asked to withdraw their application, canceled visa  or expedited removal plus a  ban.

Not what you told CBP,

What you told CBP can be recorded in notes in your online record. Then the next time when you apply at the port of entry to enter the U.S., the CBPO can compare what you said with what you did.  If the CBPO believes you fibbed then that is enough to deny entry. 

or what the stamp says.

The stamp represents the decision of CBPO and it is recorded on the passport. The next CBPO on the next trip can note that the visitor willfully ignored the stamp and take appropriate action.

You can say whatever you want to CBP then change your plans, means nothing. Stamp can be wrong. I've personally had the wrong date stamped by CBP due to human error.

You’ve been fortunate. Coming from you, with  a previous comment like,

your comments are surprising.

Best to not give advice about things you have no experience with.

1. On this site, it is best to not tell people to not comment 

2. I am curious what you think you know about my experience.

As this thread has degraded to a personal attack, I am out.  

18 hours ago, Mike E said:

It would require a tedious survey of the reciprocity schedule, but it is not hard to find countries where State says will issue only single entry short validity visas. For example:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Bhutan.html

Visa
Classification
Fee Number
of Entries
Validity
Period
B-1 None One 3 Months
B-2 None One 3 Months
B-1/B-2 None One 3 Months

Perhaps the visa validity is 3 months and OP is mis-interpreting that as the authorized stay

@Allaboutwaiting, this is what I was trying to explain to you about the policy for B validity/duration of stay and reciprocity.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.