mikeco

N-400 uncertain answer

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, I am currently filing out my N-400 online and for one of the questions, I'm uncertain what to answer and I wanted to know if I can change my answer later on at the interview.

The question relates to the exact day my wife became a US Citizen (I'm applying with the 3 years rule). 

She became a citizen when she was a child through her mother who got naturalized. She doesn't have her own naturalization certificate (only her mom has it). The problem is that her mom is traveling and will only get home in two months (that's when she can look at the certificate).  She can't remember exactly when she got naturalized (she knows it was in 1996 though).

Would it be a problem if I just put a random date in 1996 and then at the interview change the date?

Thanks in advance for your help. I just don't want to wait two more months in order to apply because of this.

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 7.41.17 PM.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I know it's a long shot, but do you guys know if there are pictures of when she naturalized? You might be able to guess the season at least judging by the clothes.

If not, you can put in a random day and month and correct it at the interview.

But regardless, when she comes home your wife needs to have her certificate with her.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

They are asking for MM/DD/YYYY. I think if you put just the year the system will not accept. There is no other person that can check this information? Or you will need to wait until your Mother in Law returns 

Filed: Timeline
22 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

I know it's a long shot, but do you guys know if there are pictures of when she naturalized? You might be able to guess the season at least judging by the clothes.

If not, you can put in a random day and month and correct it at the interview.

But regardless, when she comes home your wife needs to have her certificate with her.

I've just asked her mother if she remembers the approximate month so I can put a date that's as close as possible.

So in your opinion, I won't have any problems editing it at the interview, right? I don't think this should affect my eligibility as my wife has been a US citizen for way more than the 3 years required. 

23 minutes ago, PaulaCJohnny said:

They are asking for MM/DD/YYYY. I think if you put just the year the system will not accept. There is no other person that can check this information? Or you will need to wait until your Mother in Law returns 

Yes definitely. I need to put a date. I'm just wondering if there will be a problem for me to edit that date at the interview with the IO?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Personally, I think I would wait until I had a better date.  That being said, you can probably put in a guess, and correct it when you have a better date at the interview.  Too bad your MIL did not submit an N600 to get your wife a certificate.  @Mike E can add this to his list of reasons to do this.

Good Luck!

1 minute ago, mikeco said:

I've just asked her mother if she remembers the approximate month so I can put a date that's as close as possible.

So in your opinion, I won't have any problems editing it at the interview, right? I don't think this should affect my eligibility as my wife has been a US citizen for way more than the 3 years required. 

Yes definitely. I need to put a date. I'm just wondering if there will be a problem for me to edit that date at the interview with the IO?

The IO will review the N400 application at the interview, and ask for any changes, or clarifications.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 minutes ago, mikeco said:

I don't think so, but I myself haven't had my interview yet as to give you a pulse. 

Does mom live far away? Is there no way someone can enter her house and look for her document?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Personally, I think I would wait until I had a better date.  That being said, you can probably put in a guess, and correct it when you have a better date at the interview.  Too bad your MIL did not submit an N600 to get your wife a certificate.  @Mike E can add this to his list of reasons to do this.

Ok. 

1 hour ago, mikeco said:

She became a citizen when she was a child through her mother who got naturalized. She doesn't have her own naturalization certificate (only her mom has it). The problem is that her mom is traveling and will only get home in two months (that's when she can look at the certificate).  She can't remember exactly when she got naturalized (she knows it was in 1996 though

I can’t imagine not keeping a copy of my naturalization certificate and my wife’s naturalization certificate on my phone. Ditto our GCs, DLs, birth certificates, passports, etc.  And I am an old man. 

Anyway. Since you are filling online, if the form won’t let you enter blank, unknown, or just the year, the way to handle this is to identify  your wife  is certain she became a U.S. citizen. Since your wife is certain it was 1996, then enter 12/31/1996 as the year.  

Then add an attachment in the supporting  evidence that is a letter signed by your wife stating the facts as she knows them:

* She recalls becoming a U.S. citizen in 1996 when her mother naturalized 

* Her A number is (if known)

* She does not know the precise day 

* The number of the oldest   passport  she has in her possession  is XXX issued on yyyy-mm-dd

* Her address, phone number, and employer 

* Date she married you 

Add a letter from you stating that 12/31/1996 is a best  estimate of when your wife became a U.S. citizen and you intend to provide a better date when you can access your mother in law’s naturalization certificate 

You should also attach images of all her U.S. passport books and cards that were issued 3 or more years ago.  

Meanwhile you wife should open an FOIA case on her own USCIS file.  

When your mil returns, she should give her daughter a photocopy of the  naturalization certificate. Then

* you add unsolicited evidence including a letter correcting the date your wife became a U.S. citizen and her mother’s naturalization certificate 

* your wife opens an online N-600 case to get her certificate of citizenship using her mother’s naturalization certificate and her FOIA file. Add the N-600 receipt as evidence to your N-400 case.  

With all this information USCIS has no reason to review how your wife became a citizen or where she has been a citizen for at least 3 years prior to filing. Best case her N-600 case completes before your interview and yoy can bring her certificate of citizenship to the interview. 

And for those LPR parents with LPR kids  watching and naturalizing: this is why you get your kid a certificate of citizenship. So that when your kid grows up and marries an immigrant, your kid can help pass the gift of early U.S. citizenship to your kid’s spouse and foreign born child. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
5 hours ago, mikeco said:

The question relates to the exact day my wife became a US Citizen (I'm applying with the 3 years rule). 

She became a citizen when she was a child through her mother who got naturalized. She doesn't have her own naturalization certificate (only her mom has it). The problem is that her mom is traveling and will only get home in two months (that's when she can look at the certificate).

Did your wife get a certificate of citizenship when becoming a citizen? If not, you may not be able to file under the 3-year rule because many USCIS agents require it during the n400 for a spouse under the 3-year rule. 

You should check with your mother-in-law that your wife has a certificate of citizenship (filed an n600 for her back in 1996) and if so, provide a copy of it for your n400 application, it is a required document. 

You should not file under the 3-year rule without 1st knowing she has her certificate of citizenship and providing a copy of it in the application. 

If she does not have her certificate of citizenship you may wish to wait and file under the 5-year rule. 

Edited by da95826

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, da95826 said:

If not, you may not be able to file under the 3-year rule because many USCIS agents require it during the n400 for a spouse under the 3-year rule. 

I know at least one ISO has stated he has required it at times. But I can’t think of a reported example where it was enforced. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

I know at least one ISO has stated he has required it at times. But I can’t think of a reported example where it was enforced. 

I wonder if USCIS takes a cursory look at the circumstances of the parent's naturalization and if they suspect that they did not meet all the qualifying requirements for citizenship by law for their children at the time i.e. minors living in the care and custody of US citizen parent, did the minor have LPR status at the time, or the minor being too old, they require the certificate of citizenship to force proof of citizenship. 

They should be constant on the requirements for proof of citizenship for the sponsoring US citizen spouse.

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This is good question, my son got citizenship through me, I applied his  passport and it was approved.  I also applied N600 still pending.  So out of curiosity,  I call the passport office to confirm the date my son became citizen, the lady told me is the date the passport was issued,  the following day, I call USCIS and the guy told me my son became citizen the same day I was citizen. A week later, I call USCIS again and asked to speak with Tier 2, he told me legally, it's the date the passport was issue so am just 😕 confuse. I intend to go by the date on his passport 

Timeline
22 hours ago, Free Man said:

I also applied N600 still pending.  So out of curiosity,  I call the passport office to confirm the date my son became citizen, the lady told me is the date the passport was issued,  the following day, I call USCIS and the guy told me my son became citizen the same day I was citizen. A week later, I call USCIS again and asked to speak with Tier 2, he told me legally, it's the date the passport was issue so am just 😕 confuse. I intend to go by the date on his passport 

You are getting bad information from people who you don't know. 

A minor under 18 will become a citizen the moment they meet all the conditions to become a US citizen by law.

So, the moment they ---

Child has LPR status, has a green card

Under 18 years old

In the care and custody of a US citizen parent (must live with US citizen parent)

Child and parent resides is in the USA

The minor child is a bio child or adopted child of the US citizen parent

At least one legal parent become a US citizen

So the moment when a qualified minor meets all the requirements above, they become a US citizen by law automatically, that would be the date they became a US citizen.

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

On 3/7/2023 at 10:47 PM, da95826 said:

You are getting bad information from people who you don't know. 

A minor under 18 will become a citizen the moment they meet all the conditions to become a US citizen by law.

So, the moment they ---

Child has LPR status, has a green card

Under 18 years old

In the care and custody of a US citizen parent (must live with US citizen parent)

Child and parent resides is in the USA

The minor child is a bio child or adopted child of the US citizen parent

At least one legal parent become a US citizen

So the moment when a qualified minor meets all the requirements above, they become a US citizen by law automatically, that would be the date they became a US citizen.

This is really interesting that brings alot of questions for anyone in the same situation. For example my wife received derived citizenship through her mom but she found out she was an citizen as an adult at the age of 27 after asking questions here some of the member of VJ gave me the idea of submitting for us passport as a cheap and easy method of finding out if she was truly a citizen and it work she received a US passport. After reading this post it also raised the question of since when she has been a citizen. 

• 9 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 8:51 AM, mikeco said:

Hello everyone, I am currently filing out my N-400 online and for one of the questions, I'm uncertain what to answer and I wanted to know if I can change my answer later on at the interview.

She became a citizen when she was a child through her mother who got naturalized. She doesn't have her own naturalization certificate (only her mom has it). The problem is that her mom is traveling and will only get home in two months (that's when she can look at the certificate).  She can't remember exactly when she got naturalized (she knows it was in 1996 though).

Would it be a problem if I just put a random date in 1996 and then at the interview change the date?

Thanks in advance for your help. I just don't want to wait two more months in order to apply because of this.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:51 AM, mikeco said:

Did you ever get this figured out? I am in the exact same position as you. Wife got citizenship through her mother and has no idea when her date of citizenship was and her mother doesnt either.

1 hour ago, killadocg23 said:

Did you ever get this figured out? I am in the exact same position as you. Wife got citizenship through her mother and has no idea when her date of citizenship was and her mother doesnt either.

@mikeco last visited March 6, 2023. Don't expect a quick answer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.