Visitor User

Please help me with replacing my Social Security Card?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello. I have a 10 year Permanent Resident card along with a valid Texas Driver License (REAL ID-compliant) and a Social Security card that says ‘VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION’. This was issued after I had my EAD but have not got a chance to update my Social Security Card to the unrestricted due to Social Security Administration being closed due to COVID-19. I went to the SSA website and answered a few questions and it showed me a result that I can apply for a replacement card online. Should I go ahead and do that and then I can go to my local SS office and submit my current SS card? 

Note: I will be eligible to apply for N-400 this November of 2023 on a 5 year rule so I am looking forward to that as well.

Edited by Visitor User

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Just go to SSA with your green card and order a new SS card 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Just go to SSA with your green card and order a new SS card 

Right but my question is that I can start this process online right?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

Right but my question is that I can start this process online right?

It doesn’t buy you anything AFAICT. Nothing happens if don’t follow through after the online stuff. It’s just theatre.   Doesn’t hurt to do it. Doesn’t hurt to not do it.  

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

It doesn’t buy you anything AFAICT. Nothing happens if don’t follow through after the online stuff. It’s just theatre.   Doesn’t hurt to do it. Doesn’t hurt to not do it.  

It says to visit SSA within 45 days. So go ahead and apply online? Back then, non citizens couldn’t do this online.

~~ Topic moved to SSN sub-forum ~~

7 hours ago, Visitor User said:

It says to visit SSA within 45 days. So go ahead and apply online? Back then, non citizens couldn’t do this online.

he already answered this: makes no difference if you apply online or not. You still have to go to the office after. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved to SSN sub-forum ~~

he already answered this: makes no difference if you apply online or not. You still have to go to the office after. 

Right but I wanted to make sure I could start the process online.

Just now, Visitor User said:

Right but I wanted to make sure I could start the process online.

If it gives you that option I don’t see why you can’t start online 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

If it gives you that option I don’t see why you can’t start online 

It does. Back then, I couldn’t for non citizens. It’s a new feature.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
15 hours ago, Visitor User said:

Hello. I have a 10 year Permanent Resident card along with a valid Texas Driver License (REAL ID-compliant) and a Social Security card that says ‘VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION’. This was issued after I had my EAD but have not got a chance to update my Social Security Card to the unrestricted due to Social Security Administration being closed due to COVID-19. I went to the SSA website and answered a few questions and it showed me a result that I can apply for a replacement card online. Should I go ahead and do that and then I can go to my local SS office and submit my current SS card? 

Note: I will be eligible to apply for N-400 this November of 2023 on a 5 year rule so I am looking forward to that as well.

You have to go to SS office,  its  just like your driver's license when you have a green card, you cannot renew or even update your home address with Texas DPS online, you have to go there to the office. 

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
12 hours ago, Visitor User said:

You're overthinking it for no reason. Go to your nearest SSA with your green card, your old SS card and that's it.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

any special reason u need the card right now?

if not and u know your # and have kept the notice the card was attached to,   wait till u take the oath and update it with naturaliization certificate by taking the notice of the card.

you have to update it at that time reguardless to show you r a citizen

Timeline
1 hour ago, Beth & Achraf said:

You have to go to SS office,  its  just like your driver's license when you have a green card, you cannot renew or even update your home address with Texas DPS online, you have to go there to the office. 

I know I have to go there but wanted to make sure I can start the process online first.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Rocio0010 said:

You're overthinking it for no reason. Go to your nearest SSA with your green card, your old SS card and that's it.

I will do that but wanted to make sure I can apply online. It’s a new process for noncitizens.

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

any special reason u need the card right now?

if not and u know your # and have kept the notice the card was attached to,   wait till u take the oath and update it with naturaliization certificate by taking the notice of the card.

you have to update it at that time reguardless to show you r a citizen

No special reason but will I get any in any trouble when I apply for N-400? Will they ask why I have not changed it to the unrestricted card yet? I have the SS card. What notice? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.