Livdays

Proof of intention to marry (merged)

21 posts in this topic

So me and my partner haven’t officially planned a wedding. We know what we want, but haven’t “officially” planned it. We were going to plan it while the visa is being approved because it takes forever. 
I know you should have a letter of intent to marry with signatures of us both. Is this enough proof for them? I can take a picture of the ring, and I can technically make a prototype wedding invitation, but I don’t know the dates and location because god knows whenever the visa will be approved.
I am also wondering, can the signatures on the letter be digital? My partner doesn’t have a printer, but he can go to the library if it’s necessary. 

have u file the K1 yet or not? if you havent file it, u can submit proof when u meet, pictures, boarding pass, chat log, and letter of intent to marry, if you have receipt of the ring purchase ( if any ring) u can submit that too. no need to submit any wedding plan yet since u wont know the exact date yet.

i will do wet signature and then scan it

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The letter of intent (one for each of you) is sufficient. Having an engagement ring or any wedding plans are not necessary. However, if you have any additional evidence of your intent to marry, it is fine to include it. 

We did include a receipt for the engagement ring with our packet, but it wasn't required or anything. 

Don't use digital signatures. However, it is okay if the beneficiary has to scan or copy the signed letter to get it to the petitioner. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

20 minutes ago, Livdays said:

So me and my partner haven’t officially planned a wedding. We know what we want, but haven’t “officially” planned it. We were going to plan it while the visa is being approved because it takes forever. 
I know you should have a letter of intent to marry with signatures of us both. Is this enough proof for them? I can take a picture of the ring, and I can technically make a prototype wedding invitation, but I don’t know the dates and location because god knows whenever the visa will be approved.
I am also wondering, can the signatures on the letter be digital? My partner doesn’t have a printer, but he can go to the library if it’s necessary. 

Letters of intent to marry is generally sufficient.  

15 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

have u file the K1 yet or not? if you havent file it, u can submit proof when u meet, pictures, boarding pass, chat log, and letter of intent to marry, if you have receipt of the ring purchase ( if any ring) u can submit that too. no need to submit any wedding plan yet since u wont know the exact date yet.

i will do wet signature and then scan it

The letters of intent to marry need to be submitted with the petition, or they’ll get an RFE.

this one right ? @Jorgedig

6 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

this one right ? @Jorgedig

Right.   Just clarifying that the letter in particular must  be including with the petition.   The other stuff can be, but isn’t necessary.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Livdays said:

https://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc

Your parent can hand write the above, sign, date, send you the digital photo. You can print the photo and submit. 

Why are you doing I-129F?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Just to clarify that while per instructions letter of intent is sufficient, there have been plenty of RFEs since September where much more evidence is requested. Yes, down to the circumstances of the wedding ceremony.

I guess it comes down to how convincing we can be in saying "how can I plan something with this much uncertainty with my case" :D 

47 minutes ago, Lynxyonok said:

Just to clarify that while per instructions letter of intent is sufficient, there have been plenty of RFEs since September where much more evidence is requested. Yes, down to the circumstances of the wedding ceremony.

I guess it comes down to how convincing we can be in saying "how can I plan something with this much uncertainty with my case" :D 

Also, I suspect that the beneficiary’s country of origin also can trigger RFEs for intent.

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

https://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc

Your parent can hand write the above, sign, date, send you the digital photo. You can print the photo and submit. 

Why are you doing I-129F?

Because they’re doing a fiancé visa?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Also, I suspect that the beneficiary’s country of origin also can trigger RFEs for intent.

Agreed, although I must disclose all of my sources were Russian or Russian-speaking in beneficiary origin.

Just now, Lynxyonok said:

Agreed, although I must disclose all of my sources were Russian or Russian-speaking in beneficiary origin.

Probably much more common for Russia.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Probably much more common for Russia.

Agreed.

I just wanted to disclose that my source data is language- and geography-limited.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
20 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Interesting...

I've seen some sources online saying different things, so I just want some clarifications.

When making the letter of intent to marry, can I use a already made sample and fill out our names in the respected areas?

Does the letter of intent to marry need to include how we met, when we met, etc. or is that done on a separate, declaration letter?

Do both parties need to make declarations of how we met, or just the petitioner should make one?

I've also seen sources say I (the petitioner) need my birth certificate, drivers license, and passport. Do I need all of these? I've seen other sources say I only need a birth certificate. What about the beneficiary? Will he need to provide his passport, birth certificate, etc.?

Also, we aren't "officially" fiancés yet, he told me he will propose to me whenever he comes back to the US in April-July. The ring he wants to use is passed down from family in WW2, so there's no receipts. We obviously DO intend to get married, I just want to get this form in as soon as I can since the wait times are ridiculous. Is it still okay to send it now? I don't want to send it while he's in the US because I don't want to fill out I-94.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to make sure I get everything right and that I understand fully 😭 I tend to misunderstand what I read so I just want clarification.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Have you read the K-1 guide here on VJ?  

K1 Fiance Visa Step-by-Step Guide on Filing an I-129F for a Foreign Fiance - US Immigration & Visa Guides - VisaJourney

Here is the example they use. 

[PETITIONER’S OR BENEFICIARY’S NAME]
[PETITIONER’S OR BENEFICIARY’S ADDRESS]

United States Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

[ADDRESS OF FILING LOCATION]

or when submitting for interview

United States Department of State
United States Consulate,
[name of country where Embassy is located]
[Embassy Address]

(Date mm-dd-yyyy)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I, (applicant’s or beneficiary’s name), do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (petitioner’s or beneficiary’s name), and intend to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa.

Yours truly,

(Signature)

(Print name)

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.