MrTee12

US Man’s wife stuck in Mexico and cannot return

25 posts in this topic

This is a story that was published in my local news.  I know the family.

Mexican National cannot legally return to US with Husband and kids

Long story short:

-She arrived in the USA at 4yrs old illegally and has lived here most of her life 

-At 22yrs old, she married a US citizen (2012) in the States 

-They have 5 children together 

-She wanted to file legal documents to become a legal resident, obtain a license, etc

-She was advised to fly to Mexico to start the process

- She was denied Re-Entry to the USA

- Its been 18 months since her denial and she has been stuck in Mexico ever since

-Family is desperate for solutions 

-Lawyer states she may have to stay in Mexico (separated from her husband 5 kids for up to 10 years)

Does anyone have any advice? Any sort of help is appreciated!

Thanks

K1 Visa Process -> 12/09-06/10 Married -> 09/10/10 AOS Process -> 09/10-12/10 Removal of Conditions-> 09/12-07/13

U.S. Naturalization -> 7/8/20

***What To Do After NOA2 (The Dominican Way) Wiki Page:

https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/dominican_republic_after_receiving_the_noa2/***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sympathies, but this is the law.

Try to involve husband's Congressman.

Can't make additional recommendations that wouldn't violate Terms of Service.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

According to the article all she needs is a waiver, I 601, for the ban and the article implies it has been filed. So a pretty straightforward case. Most waivers are approved and it should be pretty straightforward assuming nothing has been left out.

Born in Puebla, Mexico, in 1991, Roberts, 31, was brought to the States when she was 4 without legal documents, she said. For part of that trip, she said, “I was in the airplane with strangers. I was traveling with a white couple.”

This is intriguing, often this implies a false claim to US Citizenship but presumably not in this case. If she had been inspected, assuming not using a US Passport, then she could have adjusted and avoided all this.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

And if you are wondering how this happened.

My wife has been stuck in Mexico for several months now because the lawyer that we have paid (for Immigration services) did not know what he was doing. This Lawyer separated my wife from her kids and husband due to negligence and a lack of understanding of the job he was hired to do. As time progressed, we noticed imperfections and inconsistency in his work, along with lies repeatedly told to my wife and I which has put us in this current situation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, MrTee12 said:

Does anyone have any advice? Any sort of help is appreciated!

This is sad.  Had they asked here or  any of dozens of immigration websites they would have been told to not not leave the USA.  They need to fire their lawyer and get a competent  one. Sounds like they have done that.  The new lawyer will file for a waiver to overcome her 10 year ban.  Hopefully he has done that.

However think in terms that  coming back to the USA in 2-3 years. Which is better waiting 10 years.  but when she fiend back she will be an LPR.  Sounds like they are 18 months into process.  So hopefully 6-18 more months.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

This is sad, but let it be a learning experience for the rest. If you’re in this situation DONT LEAVE THE STATES. And if your attorney is telling you to do consular processing, Ditch that attorney and , if you can, report him to the AILA for being an incompetent 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

And if your attorney is telling you to do consular processing, Ditch that attorney and ,

Why?  A person who enters without inspection cannot adjust status. She had to do consular processing, didn't she?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Sadly it is a very badly written piece but certainly seems that she entered without inspection, had no other issues and the I 601A coupled with Consulate Processing would have been the solution.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Why?  A person who enters without inspection cannot adjust status. She had to do consular processing, didn't she?

How did she enter without inspection if she was on a plane…?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Rocio0010 said:

How did she enter without inspection if she was on a plane…?

"-She arrived in the USA at 4yrs old illegally..."  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Timona said:

How'd she enter without inspection yet she was on a plane? 

The only thing I could think of is an internal flight, sounded like she did not have a Passport.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Ok I see what you’re saying. If she entered without inspection then yes, consular processing with a waiver, which apparently attorney did not prepare. So still, ditch that attorney. 
but if she flew, then she’s not EWI, so she shouldn’t have left… and again , ditch the attorney if that was the advice

Just now, Crazy Cat said:

"-She arrived in the USA at 4yrs old illegally..."

Read the article. She remembers having been flown with white people

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

The only thing I could think of is an internal flight, sounded like she did not have a Passport.

Yeah, she sounds… misinformed

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Read the article. She remembers having been flown with white people

Bottom line:  EWI = adjustment of status

EWOI= Consular Processing +waiver

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I deleted my post because I read the article. Seems they flew to Tijuana then crossed over by car. That might answer the reason for lack of uninspired.

I couldn't understand how she flew in the US and passed customs uninspected. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.