Josef161

Removal of contitions after divorce.

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I've been married since 2018, and i received my green card in september 2019. Now I got divorced. My I-751 petition is in progress. 

What do I need to do? Withdraw my current I-751 petition including the final divorce decree. Should I add a statement on why we got divorced? File it again with a waiver. Add tons of evidence that the marriage was bona fide (including that we have a son together). Should I add that I've a Job (and can sustain myself), I've savings, I'll graduate with an A.A. after this semester and go for a BA degree. Anything else I should add?

Also, should I send the withdrawel of the old petition on the same day or should I send the withdrawel a couple days earlier?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You don't need to withdraw anything/ start a fresh. 

Did you file your I-751 jointly with your ex?

Your education level isn't important to USCIS. 

You don't need to mention why you divorced. Divorce happens all the time. What you need to do is prove that it was legitimate marriage. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you return to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Timona said:

You don't need to withdraw anything/ start a fresh. 

Did you file your I-751 jointly with your ex?

Your education level isn't important to USCIS. 

You don't need to mention why you divorced. Divorce happens all the time. What you need to do is prove that it was legitimate marriage. 

We filed jointly.

It won't be hard to prove that it was a legit marriage. 

How does it work without filing again?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Josef161 said:

Hello, I've been married since 2018, and i received my green card in september 2019. Now I got divorced. My I-751 petition is in progress. 

What do I need to do? Withdraw my current I-751 petition including the final divorce decree. Should I add a statement on why we got divorced? File it again with a waiver. Add tons of evidence that the marriage was bona fide (including that we have a son together). Should I add that I've a Job (and can sustain myself), I've savings, I'll graduate with an A.A. after this semester and go for a BA degree. Anything else I should add?

Also, should I send the withdrawel of the old petition on the same day or should I send the withdrawel a couple days earlier?

If u have final divorce decree then u need to call USCIS or get online talk to EMMA and update ur petition to divorce waiver. They will tell u where to mail a copy of ur decree.

But u need to change ur petition to divorce waiver. Not withdraw. Not start all over.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

32 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

If u have final divorce decree then u need to call USCIS or get online talk to EMMA and update ur petition to divorce waiver. They will tell u where to mail a copy of ur decree.

But u need to change ur petition to divorce waiver. Not withdraw. Not start all over.

Ok thank you.

Should i pretend it was a mutual divorce? My wife battered me and used "extreme cruelty". I don't want her to get in drouble but I would like to get my green card renewed, and she did what she did and i can prove it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, Josef161 said:

Ok thank you.

Should i pretend it was a mutual divorce? My wife battered me and used "extreme cruelty". I don't want her to get in drouble but I would like to get my green card renewed, and she did what she did and i can prove it.

They don't need to know why you got divorced. Just contact them to change the petition to divorce waiver. That's it, don't overthink it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
10 hours ago, Josef161 said:

Ok thank you.

Should i pretend it was a mutual divorce?

You should not lie if asked.  

10 hours ago, Josef161 said:

My wife battered me and used "extreme cruelty". I don't want her to get in drouble but I would like to get my green card renewed, and she did what she did and i can prove it.

You can convert this to a waiver based on both divorce  and cruelty.  Some (good) lawyers recommend it.  

Advantage: if the case is denied, the cruelty angle gives you a second basis for an appeal. For examine if denied on the basis of divorce because marriage didn’t look bonafide  enough until the divorce filing, you can say that’s because of the cruelty.  

Disadvantage: you need evidence of cruelty 

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

You should not lie if asked.  

You can convert this to a waiver based on both divorce  and cruelty.  Some (good) lawyers recommend it.  

Advantage: if the case is denied, the cruelty angle gives you a second basis for an appeal. For examine if denied on the basis of divorce because marriage didn’t look bonafide  enough until the divorce filing, you can say that’s because of the cruelty.  

Disadvantage: you need evidence of cruelty 

Thank you. Is there any downside for my ex if i file for both? I just do not want to have a negative effect on her. Also, we have a child together, so she would pull stuff off if something falls back to her.

I've lots of evidence of a bona fide marriage and also for cruelty. 

So, I would do 1 waiver that does both (bona fide marriage that got divorced, and just in case I mention cruelty?).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Josef161 said:

Thank you. Is there any downside for my ex if i file for both?

If you document  that  she committed a felony against you or your child, you can’t assume no one in USCIS won’t send an anonymous tip to the local police.  

I just do not want to have a negative effect on her. Also, we have a child together, so she would pull stuff off if something falls back to her.

Battered and abused spouses sometimes  feel this way.  It comes down to your security and safety. And part of your security safety includes getting a 10 year green card.  

I've lots of evidence of a bona fide marriage and also for cruelty. 

So, I would do 1 waiver that does both (bona fide marriage that got divorced, and just in case I mention cruelty?).

It’s up to you as it is your petition.  I’ve given you an advantage and disadvantage.  You’ve noted that you are afraid of reprisals from your ex spouse against you and your child.    

Personally, as I believe in Murphy’s Law, I would check  both boxes on the waiver as it costs nothing (in terms of dollars) to do so. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
17 hours ago, Josef161 said:

Ok thank you.

Never, ever pretend. ALWAYS tell the entire truth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.