Inveigh

Iran Protests, Humanitarian Reasons and Expedite

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Before someone jumps in and goes on the Prawl, let me just say I GET IT.

I get that everyone has to wait their turn when it comes to immigration,

I get that IT SUCKS for everybody and that USCIS denies expedites regularly for reasons that aren't seen as not serious enough. 

and I get that no one likes somebody being impatient

So let me just say thats NOT why im asking this question and I GET IT.

-

It sucks for all of us, and thats not why I'm here and I know we can only hope for the backlog cases to go down in the near future. But here is where my lack of understanding is

-

My main concern in posting this is I (as long as many others) have little to NO understanding for what qualifies as a Humanitarian Crisis.

And it seems as if the people on the other end of the USCIS help line dont seem too either.  

And although one perfect example right now would be the Ukraine situation (rest in peace to everyone that has passed while awaiting their immigration cases), does anyone know if the Iranian Protests right now with regards to Mahsa Amini, and the government essentially:

-Shutting the whole country down,

-Closing internet access indefinitely 

-Killing, Detaining, and Arresting whoever they dont see fit in jail

Be a serious enough undertaking?

And before someone thinks I am exaggerating or trying to cheat the system: No

I get it, we all have our issues and we all hate waiting

And this is something my fiancé and I are trying to figure out without sympathy so if this doesn't apply, fine we will move on without question, and do our casual meetups overseas.

But

---------->IF NOT<---------

1) What other examples of a Humanitarian Crisis besides a WAR, be so that I may know of and not waste USCIS' time and resources (and so that others may see this post and be informed)

2) Would an Atheist living in a country that KILLS Atheists be considered.

3) (If applicable) What have you heard/what is your experience. 

Please only comment if you are open to having a discourse.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are talking in the general, you need to focus on how any situation particularly impacts the individual.

If you are theist for example and expect you would be killed if you said so why say so?

With Iran you would need to leave for the interview so maybe leave a bit earlier?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There are some countries that get special attention while others won't be granted such, despite underlying factors being the same. So, I don't see you getting any help with regards to Iran. Sorry.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
18 hours ago, Inveigh said:

1) What other examples of a Humanitarian Crisis besides a WAR, be so that I may know of and not waste USCIS' time and resources (and so that others may see this post and be informed)

Expedites are such a hot topic that most people who succeed with one stay quiet as to their details and circumstances.

About one in 75-100 apply for one; about one in 50 of those succeed, but you won't see it in progress reports: An approved expedite is promptly replaced with an RFE that takes place way sooner than the rest of the cohort or with an approval.

There's no rhyme and reason as to which ones get approved. Sometimes it's a Gumball-style "what the what" moment.

Here's what some people (claim to) have used to succeed:

- beneficiary's hometown was declared a disaster zone after a typhoon

- petitioner was excessively haggled during passport control when going to visit beneficiary

- beneficiary required medical assistance not available in their home country

The sad part is that USCIS manual is indeed very vague. And I would imagine most officers have led lives where they had not been exposed to any true emergencies themselves. When asking for an expedite, you get to use 1,000 characters - not word, just characters. And you are not the one typing them in; you even don't get to see what was submitted on your behalf.

And I wouldn't put it past USCIS to have internal memos singling out one group of people over the other. As an example, take a look at I-485 processing data. One group of people has the highest processing speed out of everyone else. And who knows how many surprises are there just like that.

22 hours ago, Inveigh said:

Before someone jumps in and goes on the Prawl, let me just say I GET IT.

I get that everyone has to wait their turn when it comes to immigration,

I get that IT SUCKS for everybody and that USCIS denies expedites regularly for reasons that aren't seen as not serious enough. 

and I get that no one likes somebody being impatient

So let me just say thats NOT why im asking this question and I GET IT.

-

It sucks for all of us, and thats not why I'm here and I know we can only hope for the backlog cases to go down in the near future. But here is where my lack of understanding is

-

My main concern in posting this is I (as long as many others) have little to NO understanding for what qualifies as a Humanitarian Crisis.

And it seems as if the people on the other end of the USCIS help line dont seem too either.  

And although one perfect example right now would be the Ukraine situation (rest in peace to everyone that has passed while awaiting their immigration cases), does anyone know if the Iranian Protests right now with regards to Mahsa Amini, and the government essentially:

-Shutting the whole country down,

-Closing internet access indefinitely 

-Killing, Detaining, and Arresting whoever they dont see fit in jail

Be a serious enough undertaking?

And before someone thinks I am exaggerating or trying to cheat the system: No

I get it, we all have our issues and we all hate waiting

And this is something my fiancé and I are trying to figure out without sympathy so if this doesn't apply, fine we will move on without question, and do our casual meetups overseas.

But

---------->IF NOT<---------

This website has a TON of naysayers and users with negative attitudes. The majority of advice I received on here was incorrect; one being that “expedites are denied all the time. You can try, but they probably will deny it.” Well, we were approved two days after submitting the request. 

We contacted our congressman’s office, and they are the ones who requested the expedite on our behalf. I’d highly recommend you do so. Best of luck to you both, and God bless the poor innocent people facing such violence in Iran. I can’t imagine it. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, ilikepotatoes said:

This website has a TON of naysayers and users with negative attitudes. The majority of advice I received on here was incorrect; one being that “expedites are denied all the time. You can try, but they probably will deny it.” Well, we were approved two days after submitting the request. 

We contacted our congressman’s office, and they are the ones who requested the expedite on our behalf. I’d highly recommend you do so. Best of luck to you both, and God bless the poor innocent people facing such violence in Iran. I can’t imagine it. 

For some reason I thought your Husband was Ukranian.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Boiler said:

For some reason I thought your Husband was Ukranian.

I believe the husband is Ukrainian. There's actually a post pinned to the front of the K1 forum directing everyone to the R/U/B forum with the explicit statement that Ukrainians are eligible for - and have been granted - expedites. That was back in March, nobody was discouraging Ukrainians from trying expedites. But that was, admittedly, a rare circumstance where a general event established everyone's eligibility.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Timeline
2 hours ago, ilikepotatoes said:

He isn’t. 

Studying in Ukraine it seems

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
22 hours ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Thank you for your personal experience on this, if you dont mind helping clear the air as to the humanitarian circumstances of what you went through so many can get a better understanding of how extreme something needs to be (and what country is your fiancé from) and can you please leave a comment. I also sent you a message if you dont feel comfortable discussing it in the open like this

Edited by Inveigh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.