14 posts in this topic

Hello,
I would like to know my status towards the United States of America as a 23 year old young man, born in France to a French mother and a father with dual citizenship, French and American, but who has never lived on American territory, otherwise he has an American mother, my grandmother who lived there for decades. I was born 2-3 months before my parents wedding but my father legally recognized me within the hour of my birth. I also would like to know about the status of my little brother, who is 20 years old and who has the same things as stated above but who was born after the marriage of our parents.

Thanks for your infomations. 

8 minutes ago, Lugia said:

Hello,
I would like to know my status towards the United States of America as a 23 year old young man, born in France to a French mother and a father with dual citizenship, French and American, but who has never lived on American territory, otherwise he has an American mother, my grandmother who lived there for decades. I was born 2-3 months before my parents wedding but my father legally recognized me within the hour of my birth. I also would like to know about the status of my little brother, who is 20 years old and who has the same things as stated above but who was born after the marriage of our parents.

Thanks for your infomations. 

Unfortunately, you do not qualify to have US citizenship, since your father never lived here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Lugia said:

my American great-grandfather was a decorated World War II soldier does not change anything?

Why would it?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

5 hours ago, Lugia said:

the presence of my American grandmother for years and years or the fact that my American great-grandfather was a decorated World War II soldier does not change anything?

Still no, sorry to say.

10 hours ago, Lugia said:

the presence of my American grandmother for years and years or the fact that my American great-grandfather was a decorated World War II soldier does not change anything?

Nope.  Doesn't change a thing.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Acquisition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html#:~:text=For birth between December 24,acquire U.S. citizenship at birth.

A person born abroad in wedlock to a U.S. citizen and an alien acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen parent has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions prior to the person’s birth for the period required by the statute in effect when the person was born (INA 301(g), formerly INA 301(a)(7)). 

For birth on or after November 14, 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years prior to the person’s birth, at least two of which were after the age of 14.

For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for 10 years prior to the person’s birth, at least five of which were after the age of 14 for the person to acquire U.S. citizenship at birth. In these cases, either the U.S. citizen parent or their alien spouse must have a genetic or gestational connection to the child in order for the U.S. parent to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.

Filed: Timeline
15 hours ago, Lugia said:

Unlike some countries, the US does not have any provision for automatic acquisition of US citizenship through ancestral history, only through parents.

The closest the US comes to this is in a provision of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.  It provides a direct path to expeditious naturalization -- not direct acquisition of US citizenship at birth -- through a grandparent who meets the physical presence requirement.  It requires an application for a Certificate of Citizenship to USCIS.  Unfortunately, this pathway to US citizenship closes once a child turns 18, so it is not a means for either you or your brother to acquire US citizenship.

See https://fam.state.gov/fam/08fam/08fam030110.html#M301_10_5 to confirm the requirements of this provision of the law.

What the other posters have all said sounds correct in your circumstances.  However, if you want to come to the US, your father can still petition you.  The first step would be to file an I-130 petition (one for you, one for your brother).  See, for example: https://www.boundless.com/blog/average-processing-time-unmarried-children-over-21/

Edited by Gabriel5454

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Gabriel5454 said:

However, if you want to come to the US, your father can still petition you.

The father has never lived in the US.  This would work only if the father re-located to the US.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 hours ago, Gabriel5454 said:

What the other posters have all said sounds correct in your circumstances.  However, if you want to come to the US, your father can still petition you.  The first step would be to file an I-130 petition (one for you, one for your brother).  See, for example: https://www.boundless.com/blog/average-processing-time-unmarried-children-over-21/

As it would be for the purpose of family reunification, the father  would need to move to the US and establish domicile.

Edited by Jorgedig

4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

As it would be for the purpose of family reunification, the father  would need to move to the US and establish domicile.

13 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The father has never lived in the US.  This would work only if the father re-located to the US.

The I-130 can be filed now, with the US citizen sponsor living abroad.  Once a visa becomes available, 3-4 years later, the petitioner will have to show intent to establish domicile in the US in order to qualify as the sponsor for the I-864.  So yes, you are correct that the sponsor must have domicile in the US, but this is not required to file a I-130.  One US embassy explains it very well here and I am sure there is similar information posted on the relevant embassy website.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
18 hours ago, Gabriel5454 said:

The I-130 can be filed now, with the US citizen sponsor living abroad.  Once a visa becomes available, 3-4 years later

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-august-2022.html

OP’s category is 

First: (F1) Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens:  23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.”

The current final date for rest of world (RoW) is: 

01DEC14

The current filing date is 08AUG16

Realistically it will be at least 10 years before OP gets an immigration visa. If OP marries, it will be closer to 20 years.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.