nhossai9

Grandma's Name Change

15 posts in this topic

My Mom wants to bring my uncle to the USA from Bangladesh. When I try to start the application process, I realized that my grandma's name is different. Now, when my Mom came to the USA all the supporting documents have the same name throughout (F K). However, all of my uncle's ID cards have F N. My mom has 9 siblings and their ID has the same name. It is going to be difficult to change all of the IDs. My mom recently got her u.s. Passport, and on that application my grandma's name is F K. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do in this case?

Edited by Ontarkie
edited to removed personal information

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

How does your mom want to bring your uncle? Are you referring to a petition or B-2?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

this is for I 130 to permanently live here?

it will take well over 10 years for it to process

grandma's name?   

last name on birth certificate or marriage documents?    that would be maiden name i assume same as here

my maiden name is on birth and marriage but my kids have my hubands last name

Enlighten us

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I assume you are referring to an F4 which is currently taking a little more than 15 years right now.  If this is correct, your mom will need to show both her and her brother's birth certificates, so I would use your grandmother's name as it appears on the birth certificates.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

"bring" family member as a tourist to visit ? if yes, there's no such thing. he need to apply himself

or family member F4 visa to live in US?

That's why I was asking OP...most think you can come and stay on B-2, per USC invitation. 

35 minutes ago, nhossai9 said:

My mom wants to bring my uncle.

How? 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

46 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

I assume you are referring to an F4 which is currently taking a little more than 15 years right now.  If this is correct, your mom will need to show both her and her brother's birth certificates, so I would use your grandmother's name as it appears on the birth certificates.

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

this is for I 130 to permanently live here?

it will take well over 10 years for it to process

grandma's name?   

last name on birth certificate or marriage documents?    that would be maiden name i assume same as here

my maiden name is on birth and marriage but my kids have my hubands last name

Enlighten us

My grandmother has only two names. When my mom came to the USA (11 years ago) all of her documents had my grandmother's name as first name: "F" and last name: "K". For the last five years or Bangladesh is digitalizing everything. When my uncles got their digital IDs, all of my uncles put my grandmother's name as first name: "F" and last name "N." So, in order to update My grandmother's name in my mom's document which forms I need to fill up. 

Edited by Ontarkie
edited to removed personal information

7 minutes ago, nhossai9 said:

My grandmother has only two names. When my mom came to the USA (11 years ago) all of her documents had my grandmother's name as first name: "Fouzla" and last name: "Khatun". For the last five years or Bangladesh is digitalizing everything. When my uncles got their digital IDs, all of my uncles put my grandmother's name as first name: "Foziron" and last name "Nesa." So, in order to update My grandmother's name in my mom's document which forms I need to fill up. 

any reason why the name is so different?

how bout ur uncle birth certificate? what is the grandma name on that birth certificate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Two posts edited to remove names. Please do not post anything personal.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
40 minutes ago, nhossai9 said:

So, in order to update My grandmother's name in my mom's document

No need to update or can't update. Legal name was used at the time.

40 minutes ago, nhossai9 said:

all of my uncles put my grandmother's name as first name: "Foziron" and last name "Nesa."

So your uncles created your grandma's new name just like that.

Check your grandma's name  on your mother's and uncle's birth certificates. If it's same, it should be good to go but the problem may arise when your uncle's police certificate or any recent document that the CO will ultimately see lists your grandma's latest name. In that case the CO may want to see the evidence of your grandma's name change to make sure Mrs X and Mrs Y whom two siblings are claming to be their mother are the same person.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

I’m assuming it’s obviously F4 because the difference in grandmother’s name makes zero difference for a B visa.

Worst case they’ll ask for other evidence to support the sibling relationship, if they can’t reconcile the birth certificates. 

Ensure your mom knows it will likely be at least 15 years before your uncle can come. 

20 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Is OP referring to an F4 sibling visa or a different one? She said that her grandma wants to bring her uncle..which would be a son/daughter type (the kind of which depends on the uncle's age and marital status) unless I've missed something.

1 minute ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Is OP referring to an F4 sibling visa or a different one? She said that her grandma wants to bring her uncle..which would be a son/daughter type (the kind of which depends on the uncle's age and marital status) unless I've missed something.

Read again, she said her mom wanted to bring her (op’s) uncle. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.