2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
53 minutes ago, emergence said:

Thanks for the information. We did indeed receive the DS-5535 today. 

After doing some research, I am absolutely appalled to see the DS-5535 is being used this way and with this frequency, particularly because there was a 2021 proclamation from the White House specifically mentioning that its use and efficacy should be reevaluated. 

Is there any information available on what percentage of cases are being hit with this? Is there a source on Montreal’s infamy? How much more often is it issuing DS-5535s in comparison to other consulates?

This seems like an absolutely gross misuse of a process that was designed to vet those who could present real national security issues, not infants.

Has anyone gotten in touch with a journalist who might be interested in taking on a story about this issue? 

I'm in touch with an immigration reporter at Bloomberg. They won't be able to get started on writing a story for a while though.

Through the extensive amount of research I'm done, my hypothesis is that the reason it's taking much longer than usual are because of the very large number of Special Immigrant Visas (SIV) being issued under categories SQ-1, SQ-2, and SQ-3, which are Afghan civilians that helped the US government, their spouses, and children. There was also quite a backlog of Diversity Visas (DV), which they'll be past by September 30 (when the visas become no longer valid because they have to be issued by then). The vast majority of visas under these categories end up in administrative processing, and based upon publicly available reports, the backlog is growing, not shrinking.

My wife has been in AP since May 2022 (also TAL). We'll be suing the government roundabout the end of the month.

Edited by jgauthi242

Timeline
On 8/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, roshakky said:

Do you have specific email addresses and addresses you contacted? I am unable to find this information 

https://www.state.gov/telephone-directory/

Check `Key Officers` and `Organizational Directory`.

According to Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), the processing is overseen by Bureau of Consular Affairs. Within Bureau of Consular Affairs, it's Deputy Assistant Secretary for Visa Services (CA/VO) and Office of Screening, Analysis, and Coordination (CA/VO/SAC). https://fam.state.gov/search/viewer?format=html&query=security+advisory+opinion&links=SECUR,ADVISORI,OPINION&url=/FAM/01FAM/01FAM0250.html#M254_2

Contacting them is of no use. They will feign ignorance, interrogate you about where you found their number, and be extremely unfriendly. They have no interest in helping you or doing their job effectively.

12 hours ago, roshakky said:

Montreal requested to send in my hubby’s passport today! Our interview was August 1st, 2022….exactly 6 weeks after getting 221g and sending back the DS-5535!! 

Any timeline for passport return after sending it via Canada Post? 

thank you!!!!

Wow, that was so fast. Congrats

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, roshakky said:

Montreal requested to send in my hubby’s passport today! Our interview was August 1st, 2022….exactly 6 weeks after getting 221g and sending back the DS-5535!! 

thank you!!!!

Congratulations, you are certainly one of the very lucky ones.  Could you please tell us what the 221g was for?  Was it for medical, police check or resume? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
52 minutes ago, LAMA9 said:

Congratulations, you are certainly one of the very lucky ones.  Could you please tell us what the 221g was for?  Was it for medical, police check or resume? 

The 221g was for Resume 

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, roshakky said:

thank you!!!!

We sent the second medical and police clearance along with passport last week. Approximately how long does it take to get a response from the consulate?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Marbles_ said:

No one knows and the consulate will never tell you. We're all left guessing, some people say it's because of where you have travelled or you work in STEM or you have a similar name to a known criminal. But most of us in this group, none of these apply to us and it's just bad luck. I believe it's just a random computer selection to slow down immigration for absolutely no reason, because like others in this group, we are allowed to travel as tourists to the US and we have NEXUS (which means the US border services have already verified we are not criminals or any sort of threat) so it's essentially just bureaucratic bs.

I talked to an attorney that said if you file an FOIA request, you can eventually figure out why they gave you DS-5535 and get the information they compiled.

I think once everybody's visa is cleared, they should file an FOIA request, so that we can compile this information.

The attorney did say in some cases it is entirely random.

Edited by jgauthi242

Timeline
2 hours ago, jgauthi242 said:

I talked to an attorney that said if you file an FOIA request, you can eventually figure out why they gave you DS-5535 and get the information they compiled.

I think once everybody's visa is cleared, they should file an FOIA request, so that we can compile this information.

The attorney did say in some cases it is entirely random.

That's a good idea about the FOIA, I don't know much about filing a FOIA request but as long as it didn't cost too much I would do it. With this specific group of us Canadians and the fact Montreal gives it out more than any other consulate, it seems to be entirely random! 

Timeline
On 9/14/2022 at 7:59 PM, roshakky said:

thank you!!!!

They didn’t keep the passport in the first place? 

Why would you need a resume for an ir1?

I guess I’ll be printing mine off…

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Timeline
58 minutes ago, ClemsonC said:

They didn’t keep the passport in the first place? 

Why would you need a resume for an ir1?

I guess I’ll be printing mine off…

It doesn't matter if you print the resume off.

If you work in a field on the Technology Alert List (TAL), they will send you to AP (as well as for other reasons, and sometimes for no reason at all).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_Alert_List

If you happen to work in one of those fields (or something that could be construed as being in one of those fields), I highly suggest you bring a layman's explanation of what it is you do.

1 hour ago, Marbles_ said:

That's a good idea about the FOIA, I don't know much about filing a FOIA request but as long as it didn't cost too much I would do it. With this specific group of us Canadians and the fact Montreal gives it out more than any other consulate, it seems to be entirely random! 

It's free, but don't expect a response any time soon (if ever). It's "national security".

Edited by jgauthi242

13 hours ago, LAMA9 said:

221g doesn’t necessarily mean any documents were missing.. I busted my ### making sure I was overprepared and had every document under the sun. I even paid for newer copies of older documents so they would be more presentable. Got 221g anyway 😂

Reason? “Administrative processing” with not a single request for more documents save for the beautiful 5535.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.