2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, F3MTL said:

Oh wow, that’s pretty quick. Looks like you’re almost there, as I’m assuming they’re ready to issue your visa. What’s your category if you don’t mind me asking? Ours was F3.

I don't understand though how the officers work updating caae once a week...I don't know why they can't. Make 1 final review of everything in one day and move to next case

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, Fna786 said:

Mines ir1 spouse visa.. my husband's case was complicated but finally we are in the last stage hopefully...the part that really socks is I lost my mom during the process in January and she was my main reason to move back 💔 I'll still move back to be near siblings though 

May I ask what made his complicated? We are ir1/ir2 as well

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Timeline
31 minutes ago, ClemsonC said:

It's a really long story but nothing too horrible just my husband doing something foolish before we met...booking a one way ticket because he wasn't exactly sure when he planned to go back to his home country...I still risked everything and married him but I sponsor him to Canada also since i was born here which he got approved for...but I'd prefer any day for us to live near family in Texas 

34 minutes ago, ClemsonC said:

What stage are you in?

Timeline
22 hours ago, F3MTL said:

Oh wow, that’s pretty quick. Looks like you’re almost there, as I’m assuming they’re ready to issue your visa. What’s your category if you don’t mind me asking? Ours was F3.

I don't understand though how the officers work updating caae once a week...I don't know why they can't. Make 1 final review of everything in one day and move to next case

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have had the same opinion of everything you said and completely agree. Once I found out how simple a Writ of Mandamus is, I was shocked at these law offices charging so much for a simple filing. They use a template and just change out some specifics. They don’t have to put in any effort and don’t expect to fight it in court or even appear before a judge. I guess the way to become a millionaire out of law school is to be an immigration lawyer preying on desperate people. 

The ones that trawl immigration forums and telegrams are the worst, encouraging people to file writs for normal wait times, for cases they have no standing in. The worst of them charge more money as time goes on, there are multiple examples of this in Diversity where they charge more the closer it gets to the Sept 30 deadline. 

Goldstein specifically seems to make mistakes pretty regularly looking at Pacermonitor; having to file corrections on many of the cases attached to his name. 

I’m in a 5535 group chat and Nimer has the best reputation, but I believe they’re around 7k. 
The next would be Raju, he’s cheap/the cheapest at 3.5k but seems to be pretty simple - pay for the filing, but don’t expect much else in terms of explanation or communication. 

I don’t think we’ll ever find out what is going on at Montreal to cause the noticeably higher rate of AP/5535. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Siarg said:

I have had the same opinion of everything you said and completely agree. Once I found out how simple a Writ of Mandamus is, I was shocked at these law offices charging so much for a simple filing. They use a template and just change out some specifics. They don’t have to put in any effort and don’t expect to fight it in court or even appear before a judge. I guess the way to become a millionaire out of law school is to be an immigration lawyer preying on desperate people. 

The ones that trawl immigration forums and telegrams are the worst, encouraging people to file writs for normal wait times, for cases they have no standing in. The worst of them charge more money as time goes on, there are multiple examples of this in Diversity where they charge more the closer it gets to the Sept 30 deadline. 

Goldstein specifically seems to make mistakes pretty regularly looking at Pacermonitor; having to file corrections on many of the cases attached to his name. 

I’m in a 5535 group chat and Nimer has the best reputation, but I believe they’re around 7k. 
The next would be Raju, he’s cheap/the cheapest at 3.5k but seems to be pretty simple - pay for the filing, but don’t expect much else in terms of explanation or communication. 

I don’t think we’ll ever find out what is going on at Montreal to cause the noticeably higher rate of AP/5535. 

All the points about unsavoury or tacky marketing tactics by lawyers are well-taken, and no doubt some are likely more questionable in their ethics than others, however I still think blaming of immigration lawyers for making money in the situation is like blaming auto body shops for charging money to fix cars damaged in accidents. This is their business. The problem is not really the lawyers, they are merely opportunists doing what they do. What is unconscionable is the government failing to deliver services for which they are tasked to provide.

In regards to WOM in specific, the practical question that I think still has not been answered one way or another on this forum is whether it is possible and economical (within reason), with some sweat and research, to prepare and file a writ of mandamus suit without a lawyer doing it, in order to save the non-trivial amount of dollars that are involved. 

Some have suggested against this only in vague terms, but I don't think I have seen a concrete argument yet as to why it can't be done or why it would be undesirable.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, ice-qube said:

All the points about unsavoury or tacky marketing tactics by lawyers are well-taken, and no doubt some are likely more questionable in their ethics than others, however I still think blaming of immigration lawyers for making money in the situation is like blaming auto body shops for charging money to fix cars damaged in accidents. This is their business. The problem is not really the lawyers, they are merely opportunists doing what they do. What is unconscionable is the government failing to deliver services for which they are tasked to provide.

In regards to WOM in specific, the practical question that I think still has not been answered one way or another on this forum is whether it is possible and economical (within reason), with some sweat and research, to prepare and file a writ of mandamus suit without a lawyer doing it, in order to save the non-trivial amount of dollars that are involved. 

Some have suggested against this only in vague terms, but I don't think I have seen a concrete argument yet as to why it can't be done or why it would be undesirable.

I think the main reason is that appearing “pro se” has the risk of a mistake being made in filing or a response and the case being dismissed. The filing fee is $400 USD, and most of the paperwork is received and sent through the legal system you have to pay for (or may need to be a lawyer?). From your end it might need to be paper and mail for filing the case, receiving approved summons, getting summons approved, sending the summons to the individuals, paying for a process server if you want a summons received notice. After all of that (barriers that are nothing to a lawyer but might prove very frustrating for a normal person without access) it takes up to two months for them to look at it. It’s very possible they may choose to fight it after seeing self representation, especially if they think you aren’t able to travel to appear in court. They could file motion to dismiss or transfer the location, file extensions, all of which are just delays or run the risk of an incorrect response with docket filing or summons. 

It’s also possible they just resolve it as normal, because to be honest they hardly ever do anything with a Writ of Mandamus, it’s just filed and then they fix the issue before the 60 days. 

It just isn’t as simple as writing the court letter and submitting it. I think you could do it, I considered it myself, I just realized that there are many artificial hurdles that are difficult to find out about in advance, and some of them give you less than 24 hours to resolve before automatic dismissal. 

If you haven’t already, check out pacermonitor, look up a name that appears on many WoM like Blinken, set the case type to Immigration- Other immigration actions and have a look at them. You can pay to see more than the 20ish cases a day, and you can pay to see some of the documents filed. 

Also RE: lawyers making money, I don’t hate that they’re making money, it seems like a great gig! It even crossed my mind to start an immigration firm and hire a lawyer as an employee to file them because you could churn these out for cheaper than everyone and still be making money hand over fist. I hate that I’ve seen them encourage people to file when they don’t have standing. In my opinion, encouraging a lawsuit for $5k or more when you know legally there is no standing, have previous dismissals stating so, and you’re recommending a lawsuit to everyone complaining without knowing any details of the case- that’s the kind of slime I’m complaining about. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Fna786 said:

How long is medical valid for...my hubby did his in march

6 months

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Timeline

i met with my congressman, so useless. same BS political jargon. he said he would write a letter to montreal to see if they can give him answers but said we are stuck with government bureaucracy, blah blah blah. useless.

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
On 8/18/2022 at 11:36 AM, Ap 5535 said:

Yes sorry it get posted here . This post was belong WOM group. As lama mention hep b is new requirement i strongly suggest please to all of you . Please check your  immunity against hep b. If you do not have immunity against it. Please start working on it as there is long duration between vaccines. Rest of it in my post it was just a rant against consulate . They should have issued visa first place without being so late and filing a wom. It doest not seem its a lengthy procedure it took them 10 days after summon to work on my file. Its sad.

Absolutely get checked for immunity, find your records, or get the shots! They WILL however, accept just the first shot in the immunity series, with the understanding you’ll eventually get the rest 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is not the same situation as this guy is doing ROC but the FOIA made me think just maybe it can help with Montreal too. Might be something to try.  If you click on Villanelle's name it will take you to her post. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.