2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, ThisIsHell said:

Has anyone here tried to bring this issue to the media?

I think those who have been waiting 60+ days should contact some reporters who specialize in immigration/homeland security as this could be quite a story. Hard to believe they are leaving people in the dark for months without any specified reason and separating them from their family. Could be worth a try to get things moving as the media has a lot of influence. 

https://www.nytimes.com/by/miriam-jordan

https://www.nytimes.com/by/eileen-sullivan

https://www.nytimes.com/by/dan-bilefsky

I know after all this is done I’d be happy to share my story, but for me I don’t have the spoons to organize. 

Timeline

Are you allowed to travel to the US on a visitor visa (B1/B2) if your case is in administrative processing and you’ve filled out the DS-5535? 

My hubby had his interview on Aug. 1 and was put into AP because he didn’t have his resume😩 Since when do they ask for a resume for a Spousal visa

8 minutes ago, roshakky said:

Are you allowed to travel to the US on a visitor visa (B1/B2) if your case is in administrative processing and you’ve filled out the DS-5535? 

My hubby had his interview on Aug. 1 and was put into AP because he didn’t have his resume😩 Since when do they ask for a resume for a Spousal visa

You need to bring a resume to your IR1 interview?? I thought it was only E class visas that require that.

There must be some way to get to the bottom of what's going on with this AP thing. I dunno if anyone would be interested or even how much it helps, but if we collected individual data for the possible reasons why people have been put into AP we might be able to get to the bottom of it. Just a suggestion. Some reasons I can think of (this applies to both the beneficiary and the sponsor):

-job type

-country of birth

-travel history

-criminal record/arrest history

-social media

-expedite request

-type of visa

-distance of family relation

-name

-ethnic origin(?)

If we found a link between all the various cases that have been put into AP, we might be able to figure out the criteria they are using.

Edited by ConsistentCut

18 minutes ago, roshakky said:

Same here ,they asked me for my resume too and luckily i had it during my interview but interviewer then told me to send via email instead .I wasnt sure that time that he is talking about DS-5535.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@A.Jon.Satko post here about your DS5535 experience...

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
3 hours ago, sky2022 said:

Same here ,they asked me for my resume too and luckily i had it during my interview but interviewer then told me to send via email instead .I wasnt sure that time that he is talking about DS-5535.

When was your interview? 
Did they keep your passport? 
Is your case still in processing? 

thank you! 

Timeline
4 hours ago, roshakky said:

Is your husband a Canadian PR? 

Our FAQ on the main Canada spousal visa thread here on VJ advises PRs to carry their resume to the interview, in case it is asked.

Regarding your question, yes, you can travel on B1/B2 visa to US while on AP, but CBP as always has discretion whether to allow entry. It is advised to carry proof of ties to Canada when travelling to improve chances of entry. In most cases, it is not an issue.

Timeline
4 hours ago, ConsistentCut said:

There must be some way to get to the bottom of what's going on with this AP thing. I dunno if anyone would be interested or even how much it helps, but if we collected individual data for the possible reasons why people have been put into AP we might be able to get to the bottom of it. Just a suggestion. Some reasons I can think of (this applies to both the beneficiary and the sponsor):

-job type

-country of birth

-travel history

-criminal record/arrest history

-social media

-expedite request

-type of visa

-distance of family relation

-name

-ethnic origin(?)

If we found a link between all the various cases that have been put into AP, we might be able to figure out the criteria they are using.

My understanding is it is mainly in the name of applicant. If the name matches (sometimes only vaguely matches) someone in their database of people suspected to be a threat to national security, they are targetted for extreme vetting. Other parameters are education/ work in technical fields, and origin from certain countries.

7 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

My understanding is it is mainly in the name of applicant. If the name matches (sometimes only vaguely matches) someone in their database of people suspected to be a threat to national security, they are targetted for extreme vetting. Other parameters are education/ work in technical fields, and origin from certain countries.

Yes you’re probably right and would explain why infants and toddlers receive it.

Timeline
9 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Is your husband a Canadian PR? 

Our FAQ on the main Canada spousal visa thread here on VJ advises PRs to carry their resume to the interview, in case it is asked.

Regarding your question, yes, you can travel on B1/B2 visa to US while on AP, but CBP as always has discretion whether to allow entry. It is advised to carry proof of ties to Canada when travelling to improve chances of entry. In most cases, it is not an issue.

Yes, he is a PR. We were unaware of the resume recommendation for PRs. 

thank you for your answer! It will make this wait a little more bearable 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.