mrssurman

Going back to Aus after permanent residency in US

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I’m a US citizen married to an Australian citizen, living in the US. He originally came here on K1, and we’re now waiting for his 10 year green card. However, we are now expecting our first baby & are looking towards the future. We’d like to go back to Australia by the time our bub is school-aged, because we feel Australian education is superior to what our child could obtain here in the US.

What does the process look like in reverse? I am getting the impression that he may need to move back ahead of me to re-establish home & income there, which is obviously not ideal with a child. Is there any way for me to come with him? I do realize that leaving the US will mean abandoning his future green card, but we are pretty set on this being the eventual path we want to take… just not sure how far in advance we need to plan to start the process.

Thanks for any info you can share!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
35 minutes ago, mrssurman said:

I’m a US citizen married to an Australian citizen, living in the US. He originally came here on K1, and we’re now waiting for his 10 year green card. However, we are now expecting our first baby & are looking towards the future. We’d like to go back to Australia by the time our bub is school-aged, because we feel Australian education is superior to what our child could obtain here in the US.

What does the process look like in reverse? I am getting the impression that he may need to move back ahead of me to re-establish home & income there, which is obviously not ideal with a child. Is there any way for me to come with him? I do realize that leaving the US will mean abandoning his future green card, but we are pretty set on this being the eventual path we want to take… just not sure how far in advance we need to plan to start the process.

Start with this.   https://gettingdownunder.com/the-9-ways-to-emigrate-to-australia/

And here:  https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/bringing-someone/bringing-partner-or-family

If your spouse gets US Citizenship, then you would be free to go back and forth if you change your mind.

My spouse is Australian, and I have Australian Permanent Residency.  We are both US Citizens as well.  We live in both countries, going back and forth.  Also, Australia has folks called "Migration Agents" who can help.  Maybe your spouse's family can locate one to help you.

Good luck on your journey!

Sukie in NY and on the Gold Coast

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
48 minutes ago, mrssurman said:

He should naturalize before you go .. also valuable getting at least 40 SS quarters ss that sets him up for US Social security and US medicare if you come back to US   .. and he can receive SS income in Australia. Unless he surrenders his GC you will both need to continue to file US tax returns and declare your Aus income. .. you will always need to file .. But the tax treaty avoids double taxing ( there is an upper limit)   Be aware if the differences in how the 2 countries tax superannuation etc .. not a show stopper but better to know in advance 

Aus spouse visa is explained on the Aus website ..   you can apply from outside or when already in  Aus 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/bringing-someone/bringing-partner-or-family

significantly more expensive .. currently $7500 AUD ish..  but a similar process    Remember that Aust does not have the parent visa category like the US… 

Timeline

Hi! Similar situation with, I am US citizen, husband is Australian and got US Citizenship in 2021.  We are planning on moving back to Aus in about 3 years.  I have researched a bunch and from what I can tell- if we all (we are family of 6) go back then myself, and the older kids couldnt work until the application is completed.  If my husband goes back, had a job, gets a bank account etc, myself and the 2 older kids can still work here in the US.  So for us, thats how we will do it bc we cannot make it on just 1 income.  I also read that sometimes when you are applying for the Aus visa and have been married a while with kids, they will grant both the temporary one and the permanent one at the same time. :)

I do agree with the other person that advised your husband to get his US citizenship.  

Also, from my research, to buy a house in Melbourne, they look at income, debt ratio.  So thats why my husband would go back first.  We want to buy a house instead of renting if possible.  

Happy to see you on here in similar circumstamces! 

K-1 Visa -  Date of arrival to US  Aug 30, 2014

Married September 26, 2014

AOS: SEPT 24th, 2015 GREEN CARD RECEIVED !! 

ROC:  Oct 10, 2018    Approval of ROC via online USCIS site.  

Naturalization: March 26th, 2021 Approved!!

As of 2022, we are working towards moving back to Australia likely in 2025. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
5 hours ago, mrssurman said:

and we’re now waiting for his 10 year green card.

Means he’s probably eligible to apply for naturalization in a few months (3 years from when first green card was issued). That means in about two years max from now he could be an American, solves a lot of issues.

My $0.02

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

8 hours ago, mrssurman said:

Yeah I agree with everyone saying to file for naturalization as soon as your husband is eligible, which is most likely soon. Once he is a citizen, you won't have to worry about his status and he'll be able to go back and forth without any issues. Obviously, make sure to get your child's US passport as well. I can't advise on the Australian side of things...that requires its own research, but for the US side of things, naturalization is the smartest thing to do and ASAP since you'll want to head to Aus in like 2-3ish years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I’m not from Australia however like some others, we don’t plan to remain the US for the rest of our days.

And for the reasons given by others, I also applied for my US citizenship (never know what the future brings, 10 quarters for working and ease of travel back to the US). 

with regards to researching our future home, we’re about 5-7 years away from making that move but I research everyday (joined Facebook groups to understand the process, purchased books, have been learning the language for past 2 years). Good luck 

Lover and hubby to 1, Daddy to 2. I do enjoy growing older but not growing up.

A filthy, dirty oilfield engineer.

N400 through marriage to another filthy dirty oilfield engineer.

We also plan on possibly leaving the US. My husband does not want to become a US citizen, but will likely apply to naturalize just so we can go back and forth without ever having to deal with immigration. If you aren't plan on moving until your child is school age, you should be able to complete that process well within the time frame. Congratulations, by the way!

Timeline

We've been looking into this as well. My husband is Australian, waiting on his 10 year green card. He can apply for citizenship in October. So we are currently planning on waiting for I-751 and N-400 approval, then consider whether to apply for the Aussie Partner visa. Please may change in a few years but I certainly like to keep my options open. 

This is a link to the Partner visa to apply for if you will be applying from the U.S.: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/partner-offshore/provisional-309#Overview

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Immigrating Outside the US, from the Regional forum~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's been years since I have been on this forum! Glad I came back and searched for information. We are contemplating doing this so I have just filed for my US Citizenship to make things easy. We do have (2) children that are US citizens so I'd like to be able to travel freely in the future. I'll probably go ahead while he continues to work here to get things set over there. Holy Moly on the cost, I forgot what an expensive exercise this is.

Best of luck to all. 

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.