keickhoff

Health insurance

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, form K1 P&P - as the topic of health insurance has been discussed here~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 minutes ago, keickhoff said:

Anyone with experience regarding health insurance for beneficiary until they get their residence card?

Thanks

Does the citizen petitioner have health insurance through work and does that insurance cover spouses?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Marry asap

NoA will allow her to buy through the exchange

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, keickhoff said:

No I am retired and on Medicare 

The alien spouse will have to get health insurance through healthcare.gov. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Her interview is June 28th, and our tentative wedding date is August 12th, I was hoping should get coverage through healthcare.gov but wasn’t sure

Thanks for the help

16 hours ago, keickhoff said:

Her interview is June 28th, and our tentative wedding date is August 12th, I was hoping should get coverage through healthcare.gov but wasn’t sure

Thanks for the help

Yes please let us know your experience with healthcare.gov?

After the NOA2 I-797, your fiancée should have an A-Number (above the name), which you should use for all subsequent forms like I-134, I-485, etc. If you buy temporary travel health insurance for your fiancée, the travel health insurance company will ask for the A-Number.

I had planned to add my fiancée to my work insurance after we get married, but that will take a few months to several months, which can get expensive with travel health insurance like over a thousand. I had not considered healthcare.gov, but will certainly consider it if there are positive experiences by others.

So if anyone knows of experiences or links to other experiences with healthcare.gov for K1 fiancées, please share. Thanks much!

Edited by EatBulaga

Timeline

Why the delay adding your spouse, should be quick and easy

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

21 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why the delay adding your spouse, should be quick and easy

We are not married yet, which can take a few weeks from when the K1 beneficiary arrives to marriage.

Then there is the enrollment period delay, which starts for my company in September but activated in October.

So from when your K1 beneficiary lands in the US in June to actually getting employment health coverage, there is a possible 5-month period of no health insurance coverage.

How have other K1 petitioners handled the health insurance coverage for their K1 beneficiary?

Addendum: I did a preliminary check with healthcare.gov, certain new arrivals are eligible

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

Edited by EatBulaga

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Glad I found this thread because this was exactly my 'task' for the week. From reading the healthcare.gov site, is my understanding correct that we can apply for insurance through this once the AoS process begins, but not as soon as the K1 arrives in the US? I wonder if it's logical to look for visitors insurance up until sending out the AoS documents; I recall it being fairly inexpensive and extendable. 

To use OP's case as an example, if they marry mid-August would that mean the K1 is ineligible for the exchange before then?

Edited by slavaskii

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

4 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

From reading the healthcare.gov site, is my understanding correct that we can apply for insurance through this once the AoS process begins, but not as soon as the K1 arrives in the US?

Yes, AOS applicant (ie. pending I-485) is an acceptable immigration status for getting coverage through healthcare.gov, while K1 status is not.  Healthcare.gov requires upload of proof of status (eg. I-485 NOA1) to check eligibility.

17 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

Glad I found this thread because this was exactly my 'task' for the week. From reading the healthcare.gov site, is my understanding correct that we can apply for insurance through this once the AoS process begins, but not as soon as the K1 arrives in the US? I wonder if it's logical to look for visitors insurance up until sending out the AoS documents; I recall it being fairly inexpensive and extendable. 

I was looking at Allianz travel insurance and possibly up to 5 months coverage which will run 500-1000+ depending on how much benefit and deductible that you want.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/

I didn't really shop around, but if you find something better, please share.

To follow up on what I mentioned earlier about healthcare.gov, I did a little more digging into the marketplace.

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/lawfully-present-immigrants/

If the K1 beneficiary/AOS has income below the 100% Federal Poverty Line (FPL), therefore:

"If your annual household income is below 100% FPL: If you’re not otherwise eligible for Medicaid you’ll qualify for premium tax credits and other savings on Marketplace insurance, if you meet all other eligibility requirements."

However if the K1 beneficiary/AOS is included and claimed into the K1 petitioner household, the income level is above 100% FPL, therefore:

"If your income is in this range, in all states you qualify for premium tax credits that lower your monthly premium for a Marketplace health insurance plan."

Or if above 400% FPL, there:

"If your income is above 400% FPL, you may now qualify for premium tax credits that lower your monthly premium for a 2022 Marketplace health insurance plan."

Now my question is if the K1 petitioner/beneficiary/AOS applies for the "qualify for premium tax credits that lower your monthly premium...", does that constitute "public charge" or "government assistance" and possibly a disadvantage to the I-864 Affidavit of Support for the AOS?

Edited by EatBulaga

50 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

We are not married yet, which can take a few weeks from when the K1 beneficiary arrives to marriage.

Then there is the enrollment period delay, which starts for my company in September but activated in October.

So from when your K1 beneficiary lands in the US in June to actually getting employment health coverage, there is a possible 5-month period of no health insurance coverage.

How have other K1 petitioners handled the health insurance coverage for their K1 beneficiary?

Addendum: I did a preliminary check with healthcare.gov, certain new arrivals are eligible

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

Mariage is a qualifying event, so you shouldn't have to wait.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Mariage is a qualifying event, so you shouldn't have to wait.

Yea the simple solution 

New immigrant insurance falls into the better than nothing category 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.