Girly Gorilla

Will divorce affect anything at this point?

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I got married in 2014 to an American citizen. Almost two years ago I moved out and went to live to another state.

I have a ten year green card, and I want to get divorced. I've got a couple of questions, and I really appreciate anyone answering or helping.

1) Since I've the ten year green card, will getting a divorce affect my immigration status at all? Or will I still be able to maintain the green card and apply for citizenship?

2) Will my current spouse have to still be responsible financially for me after we divorce? I've read somewhere that this is the case, but it just doesn't sound right?

3) He will be the one to file from the state he's in, IL, i am in California. I know there is no waiting period in the state of IL but would me being a green card holder as opposed to a US citizen affect any of this? Will it affect the simplicity and time frame of the divorce? We've no kids, no debts, no assets, no properties. 

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. No. Divorce won't affect immigration. 

2. Yes. 

3. Being GC holder nor USC has no impact on divorce.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

5 minutes ago, Timona said:

1. No. Divorce won't affect immigration. 

2. Yes. 

3. Being GC holder nor USC has no impact on divorce.

Thanks for your answers!!

Regarding number 2, what happens if I get married to someone else shortly after divorce? Wouldn't the new spouse be responsible for me then, or would it at least wave my then ex spouse from being responsible for me financially? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of major Family Changes, from AOS from K1/K3 - as similar topics are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Girly Gorilla said:

Regarding number 2, what happens if I get married to someone else shortly after divorce? Wouldn't the new spouse be responsible for me then, or would it at least wave my then ex spouse from being responsible for me financially? 

Depending on the divorce settlement then maybe

Has no impact on the I 864

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Girly Gorilla said:

Only person responsible is whoever petitioned for you, ex in this case..

When did you get your 10 year GC?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 minute ago, Timona said:

Only person responsible is whoever petitioned for you, ex in this case..

When did you get your 10 year GC?

I don't really remember, where can I find this out? Because I am looking at my green card right now and it says "resident since 2016", and expires in 2029. So...that's more than ten years. So now I'm wondering if this is correct and that is when this permanent one was issued or if that's the date I intiially became a resident with the temporary GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

2 plus 10 presumably 

You can naturalise and that would kill the I 864

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Girly Gorilla said:

the i 864 is the one that makes him responsible for me financially?

Responsible to pay back the government if you obtain public benefits. 

If you make less than $1468/ month (2021 figure) he may be responsible for the difference up to $1468 in a divorce settlement if you choose to sue him personally based on his I864 responsibility.

If you make more than that, you cannot sue in relation to the I864.

2 minutes ago, Girly Gorilla said:

and once i get my citizenship, then thats waived yeah? :)

The I864 responsibilities to the government and you (as described above) end at citizenship. 

Thanks for everyone replying!

I've one more question. I am currently with my new partner and we do want to marry shortly after getting divorced with m current spouse. 

Would that raise any suspicious or am I overthinking since I already have the ten year green card, can get citizenship and obviously my new marriage wouldn't benefit me in any way (just in case they get suspicious, idk? they must be other people that have done this)

Also, would it be better to divorce, then get my citizenship and then re-marry, or it doesn't matter and i can divorce, re-marry and then get citizenship?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

@Girly Gorilla

1. Have you both working during the marriage?

2. If so how many social security credits did each of you earn during the marriage?

3. How many social security credits do you have now? 

Edited by Mike E

8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

@Girly Gorilla

1. Have you both working during the marriage?

2. If so how many social security credits did each of you earn during the marriage?

3. How many social security credits do you have now? 

Yeah we've both worked. And still do now.

Not sure what you mean by social security credits?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Girly Gorilla said:

Yeah we've both worked. And still do now.

Not sure what you mean by social security credits?

Generally each full year of work is 4 credits, though this  depends on how much is earned.  Create an account on SSA.gov and determine how many credits you have.  If you have 40 credits, your spouse’s I-864 obligation has concluded.  

If not, if during the marriage as a couple you two earned a combined 40 credits, your spouse’s I-864 obligation has ended. 

Finally if you are married 10 years to your spouse, if your  spouse has 40 credits, then some lawyers contend  your spouse’s I-864 obligation has concluded.  

Once someone can be credited with 40 SS credits one qualifies for social security. 

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.