ecy_go

Extension of tourist stay after Filing i-130/i-485

40 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ecy_go said:

Hello, I am new here. I am currently on a tourist visa until Sep 2022.

I got engaged with my Boyfriend of 3 years last April and we plan to get married this May 2022. I have few questions below, hope you could give light to it.

- Is it true that we could not get married within 90 days from the date i have arrived here (90 day rule, i heard) or it only apply that i could not file AOS within 90days but we could marry soon?

- Do i need to file for extension of tourist visa after filing i-130 and i-485 AOS? will they approve if they know we have filed i-130 and i-485?

-Can i do concurrently filing of i-130 and i-485 ? 

Thank you, Hope you could all help me.

1. 90 day rule is DOS, USCIS doesn't abide by it, so no.

2. No, once you file I-485 you remain in a period of authorized stay and no longer have to maintain your non-immigrant status. You remain in US legally by the virtue of having a pending I-485.

3. Yes.

3 hours ago, ecy_go said:

Thank you Dashinka for your quick reply :)

oh i read about the 90-day rule in other websites.. nevermind 

Also,i am kinda worried because when i arrived here, the immigration asked me who am i gonna visit here? i mentioned that i have my family coz i have relatives here like my aunt cousins but i did not mention that i have a bf do you think they will take it against me for not telling them? And in all honestly, we do not have plan to get married im surprised he just proposed to me last April.

Won't be an issue, coming to US on a tourist visa with the intent to adjust status can constitute fraud, but what happened in your case - you came to visit, had no plans to get married, had no plans to adjust, got proposed to, and decided to go ahead and do it, is perfectly fine.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Holly&Andreas said:

Anyway, long story short, if you'd been honest about your intentions when entering, they may have denied you entry

That’s my fear too. If OP had disclosed the fact that they had a SO that they were visiting, the outcome might have been different. Or it might not. I think it’s one of those cases where it definitely depends on the officer on the one hand, and the OP’s profile on the other. I doubt that they will connect the dots later on though.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
29 minutes ago, ecy_go said:

aww so he just applied for K1 VISA

thank you on your reply 

No, we didn't file anything because at that time immigration was not our intention. I went to his country and we got married after a 3 year engagement. Now we're going on 3 years of marriage and I moved back to the US in October last year and just filed the I-130 in April. 

Petition Filed: 04/06/2022
NOA1: 04/06/2022
Notice of Active Review: 06/28/2022
NOA2: 04/03/2023
NVC Case Created: 04/06/2023
NVC Documentality Qualified: 08/09/2023
NVC Scheduled appointment at Bucharest Embassy for 10/17/23

44 minutes ago, Adventine said:

You're in the US already and others have already explained that intent was determined at the border.

The choice is now up to you.

Option A: Marry and adjust status. You have to be financially and mentally prepared to not work and possibly have issues with getting a driver's license and not being able to freely enter/exit the US until you get your work/travel permits. This is taking around 8 months according to VJ timelines. If there is an emergency in the Philippines and your travel permit hasn't been granted yet, you cannot simply fly back and return to the US on your tourist visa.

Option B: marry, go home at the end of your authorized stay, and process the spousal visa in the Philippines. You can use your tourist visa to keep visiting your husband. This allows you to wrap things up properly in the Philippines and say goodbye to your loved ones.

Thank you so much for your insights. appreciate everything

45 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

That’s my fear too. If OP had disclosed the fact that they had a SO that they were visiting, the outcome might have been different. Or it might not. I think it’s one of those cases where it definitely depends on the officer on the one hand, and the OP’s profile on the other. I doubt that they will connect the dots later on though.

Thank you soo much for all your help

24 minutes ago, Holly&Andreas said:

No, we didn't file anything because at that time immigration was not our intention. I went to his country and we got married after a 3 year engagement. Now we're going on 3 years of marriage and I moved back to the US in October last year and just filed the I-130 in April. 

oh wow! good luck!

58 minutes ago, Holly&Andreas said:

Years ago before I got married, my then fiance (now husband) tried to obtain a tourism visa to come spend Christmas with me. We did not (at that time) have intentions for immigration and had not filed a K-1 since our plan was that I would go to his country for a few years. At the visa interview they asked him why he was visiting, and for how long. He told them he was visiting his fiancee for Christmas. They denied his visa and told him to file a K-1 instead, and said he was unable to show sufficient ties to his home country. At the time, I was crushed. I didn't realize they were concerned he'd adjust status and marry here since I didn't even know that was a thing you can do. 

Anyway, long story short, if you'd been honest about your intentions when entering, they may have denied you entry. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt you at a later date. Good luck and I hope things work out.

One can be denied at a visa interview, border crossing or at the airport but that did not happen to OP.

OP was asked some questions in what I think was CBP agent making conversation and watching her body language.

In most cases nothing additional or special is entered in the record for the visitor. She was not limited in anyway.

Regardless, she is here, her situation has changed.

I say get married and adjust or return and wait (I would not recommend but your call to make)

From what OP has said so far, I would call this a DIY case. No lawyers needed.

16 hours ago, Adventine said:

Option A: Marry and adjust status. You have to be financially and mentally prepared to not work and possibly have issues with getting a driver's license and not being able to freely enter/exit the US until you get your work/travel permits. This is taking around 8 months according to VJ timelines. If there is an emergency in the Philippines and your travel permit hasn't been granted yet, you cannot simply fly back and return to the US on your tourist visa.

With a real risk of increasing, too. Since the EAD/AP decoupling in February it seems like EADs are speeding up, and APs are slowing down. A pretty regular post on the AoS forums right now is along the lines of "EAD finally showed up, anybody have any idea where the AP is??".

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 5/3/2022 at 1:28 PM, ecy_go said:

- Do i need to file for extension of tourist visa after filing i-130 and i-485 AOS? will they approve if they know we have filed i-130 and i-485?

why pay extra money for extension if you are planning for AOS? just get married, and sent your AOS concurrently before your I94 expired, therefore you won't be out of status (if this is what you fear of).

I also doing my AOS from B2 visa since last October 2021. I was just planning to stay for 3 months visiting my bf when my country close it border due to delta got very bad last year. So we decided to get married not even know about the 90 days things (it's just something people said that USCIS will consider its a visa fraud if its too soon from entry?) we got married 14 weeks after i arrived and 2 months after marriage i sent my AOS. I will do my interview next week. I did everything myself without lawyer help.

If your marriage is genuine, if you didn't plan to do visa fraud it's all just change during your visit, i think its fine to do adjustment of status, and you don't need to worry about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.