FarahS

CEAC Status REFUSED / Interview said APPROVED

57 posts in this topic

Hello,

My husband had his IV interview on April 3rd, the consular officer took his passport at the end of the interview and told him she will be submitting his visa, she also gave him 2 documents that said "Congratulations your visa has been approved." but now I was randomly checking the case status on the CEAC website and it says status updated on April 3rd: REFUSED.

I'm so confused!! Has this happened to anyone before? Is this an error or did they change their minds? They literally gave him documents that SAY his visa is approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes,   Refused is the term they post on CEAC site while case is in AP after interview

it will show as issued when the AP is complete 

unless they find an issue not disclosed in documents and/or interview   and at any time understand it can go to denied 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, FarahS said:

Hello,

My husband had his IV interview on April 3rd, the consular officer took his passport at the end of the interview and told him she will be submitting his visa, she also gave him 2 documents that said "Congratulations your visa has been approved." but now I was randomly checking the case status on the CEAC website and it says status updated on April 3rd: REFUSED.

I'm so confused!! Has this happened to anyone before? Is this an error or did they change their minds? They literally gave him documents that SAY his visa is approved. 

What country?  Please fill in your time line.  It wll help other members answer your questions.  Thanks.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Yes,   Refused is the term they post on CEAC site while case is in AP after interview

it will show as issued when the AP is complete 

unless they find an issue not disclosed in documents and/or interview   and at any time understand it can go to denied 

What do you mean by AP? And also, they gave him 2 documents that say "Your visa has been approved", can they still change their mind and require more time to decide?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, FarahS said:

Egypt. I thought I am posting in the Egypt forum but it seems I made a mistake.

There is no Egypt forum.  There is a MENA subforum. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, FarahS said:

What do you mean by AP? And also, they gave him 2 documents that say "Your visa has been approved", can they still change their mind and require more time to decide?

Administrative Processing.

And yes, of course they can.  A verbal approval is not an approval until CEAC says "ISSUED."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, FarahS said:

Ap is administrative processing 

can be processing the visa

can be extra security checks 

but yes,  they even issued a visa and then had the man bring back his passport to cancel it

that is why USCIS says don't sell any property / don't quit a job /don't buy airline ticket  till you have the visa in hand

they say approved and you;re probably fine so i didn't mean to worry 

Timeline
1 hour ago, FarahS said:

can they still change their mind and require more time to decide?

Visas are approved ONLY after the interview and all administrative processing is complete....regardless of what the CO says.  Your only real indication of approval is when the CEAC status changes to "issued" as @Jorgedig said. 

Unfortunately, for some cases (especially cases from North Africa and the Middle East), administrative processing can take some time.  Good luck.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Administrative Processing.

And yes, of course they can.  A verbal approval is not an approval until CEAC says "ISSUED."

Indeed! In fact you can't really be sure it is approved until you have the stamped passport in your hand. We have seen a case at Montreal consulate recently where an applicant was approved at interview, and the CEAC status even changed to Issued. Then it suddenly changed to Refused and they were sent DS-5535. Turns out when the status changed to issued MTL had even stamped the applicant's passport with the visa, and then put another stamp on it revoking it. Took a few months for DS-5535 to process after that, and eventually they got their visa issued.

In OP's case though, in all likelihood, it is just regular AP, which usually only take a few days to a few weeks. No reason to panic just yet. It will likely turn to issued soon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

but yes,  they even issued a visa and then had the man bring back his passport to cancel it

that is why USCIS says don't sell any property / don't quit a job /don't buy airline ticket  till you have the visa in hand

Woah, that's a whole new level. Why didn't this person not rush to the US border with the stamped passport instead of returning it?

"Awww... I didn't see your message... too late now..."

10 hours ago, Ahmed Nashat said:

Hello Farah may I know if there is any update please ?? I am from Egypt had the exact same situation here , did my interview April 11 and consular said congratulations and he had my passport but checked after interview it said refused till now didn't have a call or any email from them 

Hello Ahmed,

The embassy sent us an email one week after the interview to inform us that his case is going through Administrative Processing and that they do not know how long that would take. And then the very next day the mailed back the passport via SLS and sent an email for us to pick it up and it was empty, as in no visas stamped or a denial letter attached. So I am being told that this means they know the AP will take a long time and do not want to keep the passport with them during the process and when/if the visa is issued, they will send to us so we can send them the passport back. Please keep me posted via this thread if anything new happens with you case and I will update you too. E7na keda sab2inak be esboo3 ta2riban.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.