KateD

Difficulties Receiving SSN for K-1

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My fiancé interviewed for his SSN 15 days after his arrival in the US on a K-1 visa. Everything at the interview went fine and the SSN official said he would get the approval in the mail in 2 weeks and the SSN card in a month. A month came and went and we thought maybe there was a delay due to the holidays. After the holidays, we checked in with our local SSN office and they informed us that Dept. of Homeland Security found an error on our application and it was still pending. SSN office couldn't say what the error was, but they would check and get back to us. After a week of calls with our local SSN office, we were told the error was fixed (SSN office said they were never informed what the error was) and we would be receiving the letter of approval in 2 weeks.

Well, another two weeks went by and we never received the letter. I called the SSN local office and it was back to the story of there was an error on our application (again couldn't say what said error was) and because the K-1 visa was about to expire in a couple of weeks, my fiancé would not receive a SSN. The SSN office informed us we could reapply once my fiancé's visa was renewed or extended.

I am pretty confident there was no error on his SSN application/supporting documents (we checked everything over multiple times and the SSN officer we interviewed with also confirmed that the SSN application was filled out correctly and  matched the supporting documents). I'm not sure what we could have done differently except checked in earlier when we didn't receive our letter within 2 weeks, but not sure it would have made a difference anyways.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone else experienced this particular issue? Does this happen frequently? (From reading here on VJ, I know many people have issues arise when dealing with the SSA)

2.  Any ideas what the error could be that Dept. of Homeland Security was referring to? Just wondering if this issue will pop-up again when he reapplies. 

3.  From everything that I have read, it seems he will have to wait for his EAD/AP to reapply for his SSN (contrary to what the local SSN officer said) but I wanted to confirm.

Thanks for any insights,

KateD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
39 minutes ago, KateD said:

1. Has anyone else experienced this particular issue?

We see it every week.  

Does this happen frequently? (From reading here on VJ, I know many people have issues arise when dealing with the SSA)

2.  Any ideas what the error could be that Dept. of Homeland Security was referring to? Just wondering if this issue will pop-up again when he reapplies.

No idea.  I assume incompetence in SSA, CBP, and/or USCIS.    There is no-re-apply.  76 days after the K-1 arrives in the USA it is over. 

3.  From everything that I have read, it seems he will have to wait for his EAD/AP to reapply for his SSN (contrary to what the local SSN officer said) but I wanted to confirm.

EAD or green card.  

You can file federal suit to compel SSA to issue an SSN under the administrative procedures act but that’s a 5 figure action. 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

We see it every week.  

No idea.  I assume incompetence in SSA, CBP, and/or USCIS.    There is no-re-apply.  76 days after the K-1 arrives in the USA it is over. 

EAD or green card.  

You can file federal suit to compel SSA to issue an SSN under the administrative procedures act but that’s a 5 figure action. 

Thanks, Mike! We'll try round 2 once he gets his EAD. Hopefully, whatever the issue was won't happen again. Unfortunate it happens with such frequency since not having a SSN makes life that much more complicated. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to SSN, from AOS Family K1/K3 - as the topic is about SSC~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Most likely you went too soon.

It's advised you wait 14 business days after arrival for your entry to be recorded through DHS (which is not the same as being able to generate your I94).

If there was no record of your entry on the DHS end, SSA can't process your SSN.

Why did they tell you two times that there was an error?

Because if they can't determine your status with DHS the first time, your case will sit in a pile until someone actually works on it. Ie. The second time was likely just an excuse and they didn't bother to process it and let your I94 expire.

Resolution (for others, not you as it's too late): always give DHS time to update your record. 14 business days seems to be the magic number with positive initial results.

Another issue is applying in another name not recorded on your I94 and passport or applying as married.

That will confuse them also and they will give you indirect excuses of why one cannot be processed.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Most likely you went too soon.

It's advised you wait 14 business days after arrival for your entry to be recorded through DHS (which is not the same as being able to generate your I94).

If there was no record of your entry on the DHS end, SSA can't process your SSN.

Why did they tell you two times that there was an error?

Because if they can't determine your status with DHS the first time, your case will sit in a pile until someone actually works on it. Ie. The second time was likely just an excuse and they didn't bother to process it and let your I94 expire.

Resolution (for others, not you as it's too late): always give DHS time to update your record. 14 business days seems to be the magic number with positive initial results.

Another issue is applying in another name not recorded on your I94 and passport or applying as married.

That will confuse them also and they will give you indirect excuses of why one cannot be processed.

Thanks for the insight. I thought it only had to be 14 days since arrival not 14 business days! We did have the interview before 14 business days. You would think the SSA would know this rule ---I know asking a lot! And here we thought we were being good by being proactive and getting it done right away!

Names match on all documents and we weren't married when he applied so I don't think that's it.

Like you said nothing to do now except wait for his EAD. We'll pay for this mistake, hopefully someone else will benefit and learn from us. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I went back and looked a the Step-by-Step Guide to getting a Social Security Number and it does say 14 days after arrival and not 14 business days. Maybe an update to 14 business days?

:: For K1 Visa Holders ::

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either. You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

It's not a rule.

It's a recommendation as above as magic number that seems to work.

14 days isn't enough a lot of the times but 14 business days seems to work.

Speak to the writer of that post yourself if you think it needs a change.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

It's not a rule.

It's a recommendation as above as magic number that seems to work.

14 days isn't enough a lot of the times but 14 business days seems to work.

Speak to the writer of that post yourself if you think it needs a change.

14 business days sometimes doesn’t work when you need to get a drivers license or state ID before day 30. 

OP did nothing wrong by applying 14 days after POE. We applied 2 days after.  

The problem is DHS / SSA incompetence and the tolerance of it.  

“We are what we tolerate”

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

14 business days sometimes doesn’t work when you need to get a drivers license or state ID before day 30. 

OP did nothing wrong by applying 14 days after POE. We applied 2 days after.  

The problem is DHS / SSA incompetence and the tolerance of it.  

“We are what we tolerate”

I'm not arguing.

I'm telling a recommendation that works and I've seen work over and over again.

14 days is often not enough.

Not getting a DL or ID is just an unfortunate part of the K1 process. In many states you can't drive at all until EAD.

If needing to drive, one should file spousal.

Timeline

@K1visaHopeful   and @Mike E I appreciate your feedback.

@K1visaHopeful My apologies if I offended. Didn't mean to insinuate that you should change the SSN guidance. Only that maybe it should be considered if it is a better guideline. I realize there are no hard and fast rules for when to apply for SSN and the 14 day rule is only an estimate based off of other VJers experiences. 

It is unfortunate and unacceptable that whatever the so-called "error" was couldn't be fixed in 2 months. 

4 minutes ago, KateD said:

@K1visaHopeful @Mike E

@K1visaHopeful My apologies if I offended. Didn't mean to insinuate that you should change the SSN guidance. Only that maybe it should be considered if it is a better guideline. I realize there are no hard and fast rules for when to apply for SSN and the 14 day rule is only an estimate based off of other VJers experiences. 

It is unfortunate and unacceptable that whatever the so-called "error" was couldn't be fixed in 2 months. 

You didn't offend me.

As you can see, my recommendation is not popular, lol but I assure you I've been here long enough to see it be true and not false.

Getting an SSN as a K1 isnt a straightforward process due to SSA employees being ignorant so there is no given procedure that 100 percent works everytime.

You'll find that is a common thread for all K1s.

You just try and understand that you may or may not get one and if getting one was important, going the Spousal route is much better.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
10 hours ago, KateD said:

My fiancé interviewed for his SSN 15 days after his arrival in the US on a K-1 visa. Everything at the interview went fine and the SSN official said he would get the approval in the mail in 2 weeks and the SSN card in a month. A month came and went and we thought maybe there was a delay due to the holidays. After the holidays, we checked in with our local SSN office and they informed us that Dept. of Homeland Security found an error on our application and it was still pending. SSN office couldn't say what the error was, but they would check and get back to us. After a week of calls with our local SSN office, we were told the error was fixed (SSN office said they were never informed what the error was) and we would be receiving the letter of approval in 2 weeks.

Well, another two weeks went by and we never received the letter. I called the SSN local office and it was back to the story of there was an error on our application (again couldn't say what said error was) and because the K-1 visa was about to expire in a couple of weeks, my fiancé would not receive a SSN. The SSN office informed us we could reapply once my fiancé's visa was renewed or extended.

I am pretty confident there was no error on his SSN application/supporting documents (we checked everything over multiple times and the SSN officer we interviewed with also confirmed that the SSN application was filled out correctly and  matched the supporting documents). I'm not sure what we could have done differently except checked in earlier when we didn't receive our letter within 2 weeks, but not sure it would have made a difference anyways.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone else experienced this particular issue? Does this happen frequently? (From reading here on VJ, I know many people have issues arise when dealing with the SSA)

Thanks for any insights,

KateD

Sadly we have a lot of jerks in the agency.

When someone applies for a SSN in the FO they use a program name SNAP that communicates with SAVE from USCIS.

Most of the time the app goes smoothly then the Social is issue, but sometimes the app does not get an instant response from SAVE and the person must either re trigger the app or confirm manually with the evidence that the applicant provided on the interview.  In really weird cases it must be done by mail and this my friend is awful.

So next time you call. You can tell them this. Did the system requested additional evidence?  if so, did you guys did it? 

Hopefully this helps.  

We had this problem too. Someone suggested calling up deferred inspection to find whatever error is on the record. 

i don't know if that will work, but you could try it.

Also, most people on the site seem to suggest going to the SSA as soon as possible to avoid cutting into your window for SSN assignment. The 14 days seems to be largely viewed as out of date with current electronic records. But who knows. From what I've read, application date doesn't seem to be related to who has problems or not. (I think that whether you go before or after the 14 days, if you have a problem, someone on this site will tell you it's your fault for not doing it the other way.)

We just pestered the guy at the SSA until time ran out, and nothing happened. We checked the box on EAD for a number, but didn't get one in a reasonable amount of time, so we went back to the SSA to get a number issued, and he ended up with two SSNs which freaked out the people at the SSA. So fyi, your adventures with the SSA could go on a while. It was annoying and difficult. And my credit card still won't upgrade his status on the account with his new SSN.

Edited by green_rabbit

The SAVE database never did update for us. We even had a knowledgeable person at the SSA helping us. Sometimes it just happens that way. We ended up waiting until after AOS. It was quick for us and my wife didn't need to work right away anyway.

Edited by Carpe Vinum

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.