Elle Worth

N400 Interview coming up. Informally Separated for 7 years.

29 posts in this topic

Hi ,Beautiful People! Is there anybody here that have similar situation as mine or knowledge about my situation? I will have my interview at the end of the month. I wonder if they still ask about my marriage if I have been here since 2012 . Thank you for all your help.

Elle

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

I would  disclose at the interview or consult with an immigration attorney 

Yes, I will honestly share it if I'm asked. Funny you mentioned about an immigration attorney coz i tried calling one and still waiting for a call back. Thank you for all your help.

3 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Your marriage is applicable to the three year rule.  After five years it’s all you.  Congrats 👍

3 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Your marriage is applicable to the three year rule.  After five years it’s all you.  Congrats 👍

Thank you! I'm a good LPR so i hope that will be enough for them 🙂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Elle Worth said:

Yes, I will honestly share it if I'm asked. Funny you mentioned about an immigration attorney coz i tried calling one and still waiting for a call back. Thank you for all your help.

I think you should volunteer the information.  

4 minutes ago, CMJuilland said:

If there is nothing “compromising” in your background (i.e. criminal record or the like), you don’t need an attorney. You are allowed to get divorced or separated, so that’s nothing to be worried about, and the fact that you got divorced/separated from your spouse alone won’t work against you. If you’ve had your GC since 2012, your marriage doesn’t factor in anymore for your naturalization. Good luck with the interview! 

Thank you for all your help. truly appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, iwannaplay54 said:

That’s not entirely correct. I got naturalized on a 5 year rule and was still asked questions about my previous marriage even though I was divorced. They made a copy of my present marriage certificate also.They can ask questions to that direction. It all depends on the interviewing officer I guess. 

12 minutes ago, Okboy said:

That’s not entirely correct. I got naturalized on a 5 year rule and was still asked questions about my previous marriage even though I was divorced. They made a copy of my present marriage certificate also.They can ask questions to that direction. It all depends on the interviewing officer I guess. 

Thank you for sharing 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I think you should volunteer the information.  

Yes I will do this. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
9 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

That’s factually inaccurate and misleading. At your N400, your last step in your immigration journey, they have the right to probe into everything in your history including the marriage that gave you permanent residency. Five year qualification criteria simply means unlike under the 3 year criteria, the focus won’t be on your marriage so you won’t have to carry along evidence of you being in marital union.

However if there’s any illegality or non admissibility somewhere in your case all the way back to even a visitor visa you received, they can go back in time and revoke.

Nothing to fear if you don’t have any skeletons. Good luck!

PS: I am just seeing the other responses similar to mine

Edited by African Zealot

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi there! I have been looking at your timeline and saw that you're an F2A. I am just asking these questions to make sure I understand the process. 

1) Did you not have to file for ROC?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

42 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Hi there! I have been looking at your timeline and saw that you're an F2A. I am just asking these questions to make sure I understand the process. 

1) Did you not have to file for ROC?

Hi! I was married in the Philippines 2008 .Went to nursing school there and got here 2012. The ROC doesn't apply in our case . 

3 hours ago, African Zealot said:

That’s factually inaccurate and misleading. At your N400, your last step in your immigration journey, they have the right to probe into everything in your history including the marriage that gave you permanent residency. Five year qualification criteria simply means unlike under the 3 year criteria, the focus won’t be on your marriage so you won’t have to carry along evidence of you being in marital union.

However if there’s any illegality or non admissibility somewhere in your case all the way back to even a visitor visa you received, they can go back in time and revoke.

Nothing to fear if you don’t have any skeletons. Good luck!

PS: I am just seeing the other responses similar to mine

Thank you for responding. We got married in the Philippines 2008. Got here 2012.Been a good LPR.  No, skeletons here. 🙂 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.