medic5678

Bringing wife's sister to America, for a visit

55 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

I think you're misunderstanding this.  We're not doing anything of this sort.   It's just a visit.  And why not?  Is there anything inherently wrong with this?  Of course, we can go to Thailand any time we choose.  We'd just like to have her come here because we're family and would enjoy that.  She'd love it as well.  Funny that the government is so absolutely suspicious about this, while allowing MS-13 gang members to just waltz over the border at Texas.  

The forum is overly negative. There is a chance your sister-in-law gets a B1/B2 but there is also a chance she doesn't. The application is only $160 and there is no harm in trying. I applied for my visa in a country  where  was not a citizen, on a visa (in said country) that was just about to expire and told the CO I was planning on going to the States "between contracts". If I had come to this forum for advice, I know I would've been told categorically I had no chance of obtaining my tourist visa.  

Edited by Kor2USA

3 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

The forum is overly negative. There is a chance your sister-in-law gets a B1/B2 but there is also a chance she doesn't. The application is only $160 and there is no harm in trying. I applied for my visa in a country I was not a citizen on a visa (in said country) that was just about to expire and told the CO I was planning on going to the States "between contracts". If I had come to this forum for advice, I know I would've been told categorically I had no chance of obtaining my tourist visa.  

Agreed.  Some here are uber negative, although I can't see how it benefits them.    Let's say we try (we can't do it now, my wife's mother is dying of cancer and we will have to wait until that resolves).   We try it, they say no.  I don't think $160 will put much of a dent in us.  I can send her $10,000 with the click of a mouse, so she'll have plenty of money to show.  Is that fraud?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
13 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

It might also mean finding a suitable husband, who is a good man who truly loves her.  It doesn't mean fraudulently creating one for immigration purposes.  You're reading a bit too much in this.

You used the word “manufacture”, not me. Anyhow, I do agree that sometimes the forum can be quite negative. There’s no harm in trying! Worst case scenario she is out of $160. Just ask her to show strong ties to Thailand, be truthful and go from there.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

59 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

I can send her $10,000 with the click of a mouse, so she'll have plenty of money to show.  Is that fraud?  

If it’s a true gift to her, no. If it’s window dressing to try get her a visa, yes.

Thailand only has a B visa refusal rate of 24%. That’s not too bad compared to many other countries. She should try, for sure. I agree that many here are overly pessimistic about people’s B visa chances, but you also need to reframe it from “we want to bring her” to “she wants to visit”. The implication of those two sentences is different.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, medic5678 said:

It might also mean finding a suitable husband, who is a good man who truly loves her.  It doesn't mean fraudulently creating one for immigration purposes.  You're reading a bit too much in this.

Hi,

I see some red flags from what you posted.  Mentioning that your wife is about to be a citizen, "bringing your SIL over", finding/manufacturing a suitable husband for your SIL, having her stay for 3 months, your SIL taking care of your wife's house...

What does your SIL want?  Does she want to visit you? And if so, how long?  Is the 3 months for visiting all the great sites, or just to help your wife take care of your house?  Who will look after your SIL's children for those 3 months?

This forum tends to embody "hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst".  It may seem negative, but it provides good and practical information...mostly.

17 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If it’s a true gift to her, no. If it’s window dressing to try get her a visa, yes.

Thailand only has a B visa refusal rate of 24%. That’s not too bad compared to many other countries. She should try, for sure. I agree that many here are overly pessimistic about people’s B visa chances, but you also need to reframe it from “we want to bring her” to “she wants to visit”. The implication of those two sentences is different.

Is that for the embassy or for nationals of Thailand and how to you find those stats?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

your wife is about to be a citizen

Agree. This is irrelevant for a family member applying for a tourist visa.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

11 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Hi,

I see some red flags from what you posted.  Mentioning that your wife is about to be a citizen, "bringing your SIL over", finding/manufacturing a suitable husband for your SIL, having her stay for 3 months, your SIL taking care of your wife's house...

What does your SIL want?  Does she want to visit you? And if so, how long?  Is the 3 months for visiting all the great sites, or just to help your wife take care of your house?  Who will look after your SIL's children for those 3 months?

This forum tends to embody "hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst".  It may seem negative, but it provides good and practical information...mostly.

I feel like sometimes some users forget the "hope for the best" and jump straight to the negative/it's impossibe... but maybe that's just me... 

If she is responsible for watching a family with two kids, how is she going to be able to come to the US for three months? Where is the tie to her home country there?
I would expect that question.

7 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

If she is responsible for watching a family with two kids, how is she going to be able to come to the US for three months? Where is the tie to her home country there?

Our home is next door to her cousin's house, my wife's aunt lives on the property behind our house.  They can schlep through for 3 months without her.  She's not coming until after her mom passes, which simplifies things considerably.  I think leaving her 12 and 14 year old children there will pretty well guarantee her return.  Let them ask whatever question they choose.  We are also starting a commercial greenhouse operation behind our house.  So she will have a business.  The bottom line is they can think whatever they want to think, ask whatever they want to ask.  She's coming back to Thailand after 3 months.    She's already living a good life, driving a nice car, living in a great house.  Locals think my wife's family is rich.  People driving by stop and take pictures of our house and ask questions.   She will never have a worry for money in her life.  This, as my wife's sister.   I just don't see what the big deal is, really.  Let's assume I do it and lose $160.   Put yourself in her shoes.   Wouldn't you want to come to America and see your sister and all her Thai friends?   After her mother dies, she is going to need to get away to clear her mind.  

31 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

3 months is nothing with two teenagers... ESTA allows someone to visit for up to 3 months, B1/B2 allows someone to visit for up to 6 months. If the States really thought 3 months was an issue they would issue visas with smaller time frames. I know when I apply for a visa to Japan they only ever give me 15 days... 

Timeline
2 hours ago, medic5678 said:

Agreed.  Some here are uber negative, although I can't see how it benefits them.    Let's say we try (we can't do it now, my wife's mother is dying of cancer and we will have to wait until that resolves).   We try it, they say no.  I don't think $160 will put much of a dent in us.  I can send her $10,000 with the click of a mouse, so she'll have plenty of money to show.  Is that fraud?  

Still fail to see what $10,000 have to do with her coming here.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A singe parent leaving a 10 and 12 year old for 3 months to vacation seems odd, but may be a cultural factor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.