ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone has the link handy where we can make the request for asking for the passport back? 

thank you 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Hi Everyone, I've been a silent spectator on this group over the past few months.
I did my undergrad and masters in the states (total 8 years, on 2 different F1's - almost 400k USD spend on this...) and went in for a B1/B2 visa interview at Calgary on January 15 2022. The consular said my visa was approved and collected my passport. 3 days later I got my passport returned to me with no visa and an email asking me for additional information (DS-5535). I have over 250 stamps on my passport so it was a pain filling it up. But I still anticipated that I would be given a visa within the next 20 days. 

It has now been over 5 months and no movement yet.

I would also like to join if we are doing something as a group!

Thanks!

Timeline

officially asked for my mom's passport back. Hopefully its returned soon.

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, herecomestherain said:

What method did you use to ask for it back?

Just submitted a public inquiry request. Not sure if there’s another method 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

Timeline
1 hour ago, BatmanFlow said:

Just submitted a public inquiry request. Not sure if there’s another method 

How long it take for a response? Luckily I kept my passport, who the f would have guessed it would be like this.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

How long it take for a response? Luckily I kept my passport, who the f would have guessed it would be like this.

I just sent it yesterday, so let’s see how long it takes. Hopefully get a response this week

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

Timeline
53 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

I just sent it yesterday, so let’s see how long it takes. Hopefully get a response this week

Hopefully soon. I sent them an email about my case last week; based on response rate and time, I surmise I have a 33% chance of receiving a copy-paste email back some time next month.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good Morning everyone.

Thank you to everyone who sent me a message over the weekend expressing your interest in a Q&A for a group WOM.  We have 11 families interested so far.  I have followed up with my lawyer already this morning and am awaiting her response.  I will keep everyone posted.  If you haven't sent me a DM yet and are interested, please do so.  I won't be posting any meeting links or any other logistical details on this forum, only through DM.  

Have a great day.  

Timeline
On 5/29/2022 at 9:10 PM, BatmanFlow said:

officially asked for my mom's passport back. Hopefully its returned soon.

I recently requested my passport back, it took them about a week to respond to the request, but once they responded they processed the request immediately and i received the passport within 2 business days. The sad part is, that was the only real update on my file in months. 

Going to start reaching out to lawyers and proceeding with WOM next week. 

2 hours ago, LAMA9 said:

Good Morning everyone.

Thank you to everyone who sent me a message over the weekend expressing your interest in a Q&A for a group WOM.  We have 11 families interested so far.  I have followed up with my lawyer already this morning and am awaiting her response.  I will keep everyone posted.  If you haven't sent me a DM yet and are interested, please do so.  I won't be posting any meeting links or any other logistical details on this forum, only through DM.  

Have a great day.  

I am interested in WOM

On 5/28/2022 at 8:06 AM, AJ! said:

Hi Everyone, I've been a silent spectator on this group over the past few months.
I did my undergrad and masters in the states (total 8 years, on 2 different F1's - almost 400k USD spend on this...) and went in for a B1/B2 visa interview at Calgary on January 15 2022. The consular said my visa was approved and collected my passport. 3 days later I got my passport returned to me with no visa and an email asking me for additional information (DS-5535). I have over 250 stamps on my passport so it was a pain filling it up. But I still anticipated that I would be given a visa within the next 20 days. 

It has now been over 5 months and no movement yet.

I would also like to join if we are doing something as a group!

Thanks!

WOM for a visitor visa?   That will not end favorably for you.

Timeline
36 minutes ago, deep2ca said:

recently requested my passport back, it took them about a week to respond to the request, but once they responded they processed the request immediately and i received the passport within 2 business days. The sad part is, that was the only real update on my file in months. 

That’s awesome! Did you just do the public inquiry form and selected the “passport return” drop down?

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

I let my employer know about my intent to eventually move U.S. and they told me they don’t want to lose me and are considering helping me get an L-1 visa.

I am currently in AP (DS-5535) for my K-1.

Can I apply for the L-1 while I wait?

Do I have to cancel the K-1 and transfer to L-1?

Would my L-1 be hit with the same DS-5535 and delay me further? I work in STEM and would be doing a STEM job.

1 hour ago, deep2ca said:

I recently requested my passport back, it took them about a week to respond to the request, but once they responded they processed the request immediately and i received the passport within 2 business days. The sad part is, that was the only real update on my file in months. 

Going to start reaching out to lawyers and proceeding with WOM next week. 

I am interested in WOM

I feel like before you do that, on your next follow up just be like hey, I’m hoping to have some answers soon. I am planning to file WoM on this date. Maybe it would get it moving?

2 hours ago, herecomestherain said:

I let my employer know about my intent to eventually move U.S. and they told me they don’t want to lose me and are considering helping me get an L-1 visa.

I am currently in AP (DS-5535) for my K-1.

Can I apply for the L-1 while I wait?

Do I have to cancel the K-1 and transfer to L-1?

Would my L-1 be hit with the same DS-5535 and delay me further? I work in STEM and would be doing a STEM job.

Contact a lawyer and get a proper response.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.