Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Gurpreet01 said:

DQ’ed feb 13th, still waiting for an interview letter. CR1 category 

Wow and here I thought everyone in February that was under CR1 got their letters last month lol but fingers crossed you’ll get yours in the next few days!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, bobo123 said:

DQed, 19th Jan and still hasn’t received interview letter . 

You will want to follow the thread below. As this one is for IR1/CR1 things will be slightly different. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Is there any issue with my husband being physically in Canada while I attend my interview in Montreal? I remember we each read somewhere that that wasn't the best idea or that we just had to ensure he crossed the border before me or something but I can't find info on that anymore.. would love any personal experiences & whether it was ok. Thank you!

Timeline
48 minutes ago, terter22 said:

Is there any issue with my husband being physically in Canada while I attend my interview in Montreal? I remember we each read somewhere that that wasn't the best idea or that we just had to ensure he crossed the border before me or something but I can't find info on that anymore.. would love any personal experiences & whether it was ok. Thank you!

No problems for me. I had my interview in Montreal while my spouse was in Canada too. 

They do however have to confirm a US address and phone number that you used on your application so make sure you provide that. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, terter22 said:

I agree. My husband was living in Canada with me at the time of my interview and he entered the US with me when I finally got my green card. Your husband has to enter the country either before or at the same time as you, he just can't stay behind and enter later. 🙂 As for a US address and phone number, we used my in-laws’, as we were planning on living with them for a little while before finding a place of our own. Good luck!

Timeline

I feel like we have heard from some, but did anyone get an interview letter this past week? I have a feeling the next one will come out this week coming. I'm interested to see how far out people are getting their letters. I hope some people with March DQs will see some movement. April 5th over here and am thinking I won't get an interview until September-ish if it stays at the slug pace it's been.

Best of luck to everyone!!

On 5/8/2023 at 8:52 AM, Murse10 said:

Hello all, 

I recently had my interview and wanted to share my experience. 

My interview was May 2 at 8:15 AM. We stayed at the Comfort Inn on Rue Crescent and would recommend. It was a 5 minute walk to the embassy and was in a good part of town.

I had arrived 20 minutes early and only had to wait about 5 minutes before being let in. Once I was through security I went upstairs and waited for my ticket number to be called.

It took approximately 40 minutes until I was called to the window to supply my documents. 

They requested my original birth certificate (long form), my marriage certificate, photos, passport, my police check, and my joint sponsor's most recent tax return (they had asked for 2022 but I had told them that I didn't have it since they just filed their tax return, and the officer were fine with that). They also collected my fingerprints and handed me the pamphlet on domestic abuse. 

They then told me to be seated and after 20 minutes they called me up for my interview. The person I had was very pleasant. She asked me some of the following questions.

Where do I intend to live in the US?

What do I do for work?

Is my daughter already a US citizen (she was born in Canada)?

Why did I have a joint sponsor?

- I explained that my wife had no US income for the last five years since she has been living in Canada. That seemed to be enough of an explanation for them.

Had I ever been convicted of a crime in Canada or any other country?

Have I travelled outside of Canada within the last 5 years?

After asking me these she said that she was going to approve my application. She said that I could expect my passport back within 2-3 weeks. 

The next day I was driving home and got a notification that they were going to ship my parcel (passport). I was able to pick it up on May 4!! All that was in my package was my passport and an information sheet that explained how to activate my visa and pay my green card fee. 

I crossed the boarder to activate my visa package yesterday May 7. The process went very smoothly and the officer welcomed me into the country. 

One thing to note. When I activated my visa the officer said that I should avoid traveling outside of the US until I had my green card. He said that I could still leave and come back, but I may get called in to secondary since I don't have my green card yet. 

It's  a long process but thankfully it is over! For all those that are still waiting keep your spirits up! It is totally worth the wait!

Question: 

It looks like your petitioner is spouse and  is living in Canada. What document did you submit to nvc  and bring with you to Montreal embassy to prove your spouse US domicile?

Edited by Leo The Great

Timeline
3 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

Question: 

It looks like your petitioner is spouse and  is living in Canada. What document did you submit to nvc  and bring with you to Montreal embassy to prove your spouse US domicile?

The question wasn't addressed to me, but we were in the same situation. As my husband and I are freelancers and because of our intention to homeschool our children, we didn't have any “easy” proof, like a job offer or registration in schools. Here are the documents we sent the NVC initially to prove his intention to reestablish US domicile (included with his I-864):

• Bank statements proving that we moved a big chunk of our savings to our American bank account;
  • Bank statements proving that we had been using our American credit card for six months in order to build credit;
  • Proof that we were acquiring land to build a house on, a quote from our builder, and a copy of our email exchanges with the bank concerning our construction loan;
  • Proof that my husband had voted in previous general elections, with screen captures going as far back as the electronic system allowed.  

I wasn't asked any more questions about this at our interview, it seems like that was proof enough. But we did have a joint sponsor living in the US, I don't know if that changes anything.

7 hours ago, llcoolwil said:

I feel like we have heard from some, but did anyone get an interview letter this past week? I have a feeling the next one will come out this week coming. I'm interested to see how far out people are getting their letters. I hope some people with March DQs will see some movement. April 5th over here and am thinking I won't get an interview until September-ish if it stays at the slug pace it's been.

Best of luck to everyone!!

I was wondering the same, I didn’t see any individuals who had posted that they received letters last week. 

We were DQ’d March 16th as I mentioned before and I’m hoping we’re part of this batch but who knows. I think from this batch you’ll have a rough idea when to expect your IL/Interview. 

I imagine letters will go out this week. 

10 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

Question: 

Like EC&IC said, sounds like you have a similar situation to us: my spouse and I were living in Canada until I got my residency. My spouse is a homemaker and hadn't lived in the US for 6+ years, no tax returns etc.... We had a joint sponsor. All we submitted to NVC on this regard was a letter from my spouse, explaining that she planned to domicile in the US once I got my residency. Nothing more than that.

29 minutes ago, thenextman said:

Like EC&IC said, sounds like you have a similar situation to us: my spouse and I were living in Canada until I got my residency. My spouse is a homemaker and hadn't lived in the US for 6+ years, no tax returns etc.... We had a joint sponsor. All we submitted to NVC on this regard was a letter from my spouse, explaining that she planned to domicile in the US once I got my residency. Nothing more than that.

Our case is for IR5 visa. My son (Born in U.S) is dependent on us (student) and is living with us in Canada and will move to U.S. with us. Never filed U.S tax return (unemployed). We submitted his U.S bank account opening and his state ID card paper to nvc as a proof of intention. He is using his joint sponsor (relative) 2nd home address and we will be living there for few months after immigration.   He has recently done voter's registration but proof was not submitted to nvc.  Basically he started the process of establishing U.S. domicile before submitting our applications to NVC. I still believe we need to do more before visa interview in term of establishing his domicile. He will apply for Fall admission (He is planning to take some courses) and transfer some money to his U.S. account. 

Edited by Leo The Great

7 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

Our case is for IR5 visa. My son is dependent on us (student) and is living with us in Canada and will move to U.S. with us. Never filed U.S tax return. We submitted his U.S bank account opening and his state ID card paper to nvc. He is using his uncle's home address and we will be living there for few months after immigration.  Uncle is also our joint-sponsor. He has recently done voter's registration but proof was not submitted to nvc.  Basically he started the process of establishing U.S. domicile before submitting our applications to NVC. I still believe we need to do more before visa interview in term of establishing his domicile. May be apply for Fall admission (He is planning to take some courses) and transfer some money to his U.S. account. 

I don't know about IR5. For our IR1, we just used the guidelines on the I864 instructions which say: "You intend in good faith to reestablish your domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission or adjustment of status." And we wrote a letter to that affect and uploaded to the NVC.

It sounds like you are on the right path with opening a bank account, registering for school....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.