Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, bobo123 said:

hello I was DQed Jan 19th 2023, and still haven’t gotten an interview letter. My visa class is f2b. 
what’s yours if you don’t mind sharing. 

thanks 

My visa class is IR-1. 

And I'm not sure how processing times compare among the different classes.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all, 

I recently had my interview and wanted to share my experience. 

My interview was May 2 at 8:15 AM. We stayed at the Comfort Inn on Rue Crescent and would recommend. It was a 5 minute walk to the embassy and was in a good part of town.

I had arrived 20 minutes early and only had to wait about 5 minutes before being let in. Once I was through security I went upstairs and waited for my ticket number to be called.

It took approximately 40 minutes until I was called to the window to supply my documents. 

They requested my original birth certificate (long form), my marriage certificate, photos, passport, my police check, and my joint sponsor's most recent tax return (they had asked for 2022 but I had told them that I didn't have it since they just filed their tax return, and the officer were fine with that). They also collected my fingerprints and handed me the pamphlet on domestic abuse. 

They then told me to be seated and after 20 minutes they called me up for my interview. The person I had was very pleasant. She asked me some of the following questions.

Where do I intend to live in the US?

What do I do for work?

Is my daughter already a US citizen (she was born in Canada)?

Why did I have a joint sponsor?

- I explained that my wife had no US income for the last five years since she has been living in Canada. That seemed to be enough of an explanation for them.

Had I ever been convicted of a crime in Canada or any other country?

Have I travelled outside of Canada within the last 5 years?

After asking me these she said that she was going to approve my application. She said that I could expect my passport back within 2-3 weeks. 

The next day I was driving home and got a notification that they were going to ship my parcel (passport). I was able to pick it up on May 4!! All that was in my package was my passport and an information sheet that explained how to activate my visa and pay my green card fee. 

I crossed the boarder to activate my visa package yesterday May 7. The process went very smoothly and the officer welcomed me into the country. 

One thing to note. When I activated my visa the officer said that I should avoid traveling outside of the US until I had my green card. He said that I could still leave and come back, but I may get called in to secondary since I don't have my green card yet. 

It's  a long process but thankfully it is over! For all those that are still waiting keep your spirits up! It is totally worth the wait!

19 minutes ago, Murse10 said:

Hello all, 

My interview was May 2 at 8:15 AM. We stayed at the Comfort Inn on Rue Crescent and would recommend. It was a 5 minute walk to the embassy and was in a good part of town.

I had arrived 20 minutes early and only had to wait about 5 minutes before being let in. Once I was through security I went upstairs and waited for my ticket number to be called.

It took approximately 40 minutes until I was called to the window to supply my documents. 

They requested my original birth certificate (long form), my marriage certificate, photos, passport, my police check, and my joint sponsor's most recent tax return (they had asked for 2022 but I had told them that I didn't have it since they just filed their tax return, and the officer were fine with that). They also collected my fingerprints and handed me the pamphlet on domestic abuse. 

They then told me to be seated and after 20 minutes they called me up for my interview. The person I had was very pleasant. She asked me some of the following questions.

What do I do for work?

- I explained that my wife had no US income for the last five years since she has been living in Canada. That seemed to be enough of an explanation for them.

After asking me these she said that she was going to approve my application. She said that I could expect my passport back within 2-3 weeks. 

The next day I was driving home and got a notification that they were going to ship my parcel (passport). I was able to pick it up on May 4!! All that was in my package was my passport and an information sheet that explained how to activate my visa and pay my green card fee. 

I crossed the boarder to activate my visa package yesterday May 7. The process went very smoothly and the officer welcomed me into the country. 

One thing to note. When I activated my visa the officer said that I should avoid traveling outside of the US until I had my green card. He said that I could still leave and come back, but I may get called in to secondary since I don't have my green card yet. 

It's  a long process but thankfully it is over! For all those that are still waiting keep your spirits up! It is totally worth the wait!

Congratulations! Your experience at the consulate reflects mine almost exactly.

Timeline
54 minutes ago, Murse10 said:

Hello all, 

What do I do for work?

So glad your interview went well! When you say they requested photos, do you mean your passport-style photos or photos for evidence of relationship? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, llcoolwil said:

So glad your interview went well! When you say they requested photos, do you mean your passport-style photos or photos for evidence of relationship? 

Passport style photos

Timeline
Just now, Murse10 said:

Passport style photos

Thanks! It's interesting because I feel like it's a while since I heard them ask for additional photo evidence of relationships. It used to be pretty common. Again, Congrats!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats, @Murse10.  Make sure you go into your profile and update your information and you may want to provide a review of the Montreal Consulate for other VJ members to view.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

I’m looking to receive information on whether travel to the US Or international destinations should be avoided after submitting my DS 260? 

Since information regarding my 5 most recent visits to US and any international travel was listed when submitting, would I need to revise my DS 260 if I were to travel to the US, or abroad?

I became DQ on April 5th, and am awaiting my interview letter and date. Would travel at this point be acceptable? Or does it complicate the visa process, as the information listed on my DS 260 would be considered outdated?

thanks! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, CB1987 said:
I’m looking to receive information on whether travel to the US Or international destinations should be avoided after submitting my DS 260? 

Since information regarding my 5 most recent visits to US and any international travel was listed when submitting, would I need to revise my DS 260 if I were to travel to the US, or abroad?

I became DQ on April 5th, and am awaiting my interview letter and date. Would travel at this point be acceptable? Or does it complicate the visa process, as the information listed on my DS 260 would be considered outdated?

thanks! 

From what I understand, it should be an issue. You can just bring your information with you to your interview. If you are travelling, just make sure you are proving a return ticket and ties to your home country such as work and what not. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, CB1987 said:

thanks! 

Regarding if you should avoid travel or not, I’d recommend to avoid international destinations if you can. 

It’s not explicitly stated you’re not allowed to, but does have potential to delay the process after your interview, as I’ve seen with other applicants that had excessive travel history.

for myself I only had a few trips to the US between my DQ and interview, no issues.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.