Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/3/2021 at 10:08 PM, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

From a US Gov/Employment perspective, you're absolutely fine with an endorsed IV. I've never had to go into secondary when re-entering with the endorsed IV, no holdups either. CBP sometimes get curious about my LPR status with off hand remarks ("Oh you're a CR-1...good for you", and questions about who petitioned me etc). I still have my Canadian PR status, and I've not had issues with either country, except for the CBSA thinking that I'm entering as a visitor until I show them my Canadian PR card.

I have, however, had issues with my bank wanting proof of my LPR status and they explicitly won't accept my endorsed IV (yes, I argued with them till I was blue in the face, they would not do it), they wanted the physical GC. This was Chase btw. They did take my SSN and my accounts are working properly, I've no idea what they needed the GC for.

The other potential snag is trying to set up a mortgage, again, Caliber Home Loans seem to want a physical GC but I'm hoping they'll accept the endorsed IV.

I've also had issues with WA DOL who initially didn't want to accept my endorsed IV, but I was able to argue it with them and they eventually did. Because DoL appts are so backed up, I had to drive 6 hours out to Moses Lake so I don't think they get many immigrants there.

Once you cross and activate your IV, you are considered a permanent reside of the USA, correct? I’m curious bc you mentioned you still have your PR status in Canada but from my understanding you can only be considered a permanent reside of one country. Could you clarify? 

1 minute ago, YYZ&MIA said:

Once you cross and activate your IV, you are considered a permanent reside of the USA, correct?

Correct

1 minute ago, YYZ&MIA said:

I’m curious bc you mentioned you still have your PR status in Canada but from my understanding you can only be considered a permanent reside of one country.

Depends on the requirements of Canada to maintain Canadian PR.  Every county can be different.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, YYZ&MIA said:

Once you cross and activate your IV, you are considered a permanent reside of the USA, correct? I’m curious bc you mentioned you still have your PR status in Canada but from my understanding you can only be considered a permanent reside of one country. Could you clarify? 

Canada allows their PR to keep Canadian PR when moving abroad. The do have some requirements they have to follow but it doesn't just cancel when they get US PR. 

Not sure if it applies but if you have a Canadian spouse you move out of Canada with Canada still counts that as a way to satisfy the residency rules. 

Anyway I don't want to derail this thread further so I will stop. 

Edited by Ontarkie
mentioned wrong user
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, YYZ&MIA said:

There are absolutely no restrictions on keeping your Canadian PR once you become a US PR. The only, ONLY, requirement to keep Canadian PR is to be physically present in Canada for 2 years in every rolling 5 year period. If you have a pending naturalization application in Canada, chances are you'll be granted citizenship long before the Canadian residency obligation becomes a problem. If you're married to a Canadian cit spouse and living with them abroad, the residency obligation doesn't apply.

For US PR, the requirement is for you to be domiciled in the US and treat your US home as your primary residence, you are allowed to have a secondary residence outside of the US...as I do. I'm frequently up in Canada given that I have a Canadian employer, but at the end of the day my trips are short, temporary and my home, husband and doggo live in the US.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Just want to double check.... once I cross at Poe how long until I can return back to canada to visit? Sadly my mom was told today they are selling her rental and has 60 days to move.. she has lung cancer and needs all the help packing ect. I’m booked to move on the 16th of this month so I’m wondering if I could maybe fly back to canada for a week or so next month to help out. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Twiz&Toz said:

Just want to double check.... once I cross at Poe how long until I can return back to canada to visit? Sadly my mom was told today they are selling her rental and has 60 days to move.. she has lung cancer and needs all the help packing ect. I’m booked to move on the 16th of this month so I’m wondering if I could maybe fly back to canada for a week or so next month to help out. 

Sorry to hear. I guess you know already, but make sure your mom collects the one month rent she is entitled to. Also I believe if she pays rent on the first of the month, she has until end of February to move.

To answer your question, I think you are free to return to Canada whenever. There is no restriction. It's only when you stay away for more than 6 months that your residency in the US is called into question.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Twiz&Toz said:

Sorry to hear about your mom. I returned to Canada 6 days after activating my visa and it was not an issue entering Canada or returning to the US! 

Timeline

Question about security at the consulate security when you enter. Do you need to remove your jewellery including your wedding ring when going through the metal detector?

2 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Question about security at the consulate security when you enter. Do you need to remove your jewellery including your wedding ring when going through the metal detector?

No didn’t need to remove my rings ect or shoes :) just put ur folder in the bucket and they X-ray it 

Timeline
On 12/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, Redie said:

Good morning, is there any change in your status? I am have been waiting since 11/02/21 and my status still shows refused! So frustrating!

Hi @Redie, I read somewhere on an older post that you could send your inquiry to  https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/public-inquiry-form/  about your visa update. Apparently the montreal-iv-dv@state.gov  has a low response rate but you may get lucky with the former email. I've sent an inquiry to both emails in hopes to get at least some news of my status. Best of luck!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, CAN_PA said:

Hi @Redie, I read somewhere on an older post that you could send your inquiry to  https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/public-inquiry-form/  about your visa update. Apparently the montreal-iv-dv@state.gov  has a low response rate but you may get lucky with the former email. I've sent an inquiry to both emails in hopes to get at least some news of my status. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for that information.Very much appreciated. I will definitely send an inquiry. I will keep you updated if I hear anything. Best of luck to you as well!  

Timeline

Hi so I had my interview Dec 1 . It was very easy , they asked for my passport and photos at the first window . then I sat down and waited maybe 20 min and then got called to the second window and they asked for my original birth and marriage certificate and my police certificate which was older than 1 year and then another passport size photo which luckly I had. He scanned the photo and gave it back to me. and he also took my finger prints and wondered if I had my medical and I said I didnt. I then sat down and waited 20 min and then got called to another window for my interview. the officer was very nice and friendly .  asked how I met my wife and if i ever had problems crossing the boarder which I have not. and then he wondered when I got my medical and I said 2 days ago. He was like oya of course it hasnt had time to come here then and acted like that wasnt a big deal . Then he said, its telling me we need more information. So the embassy will send you a email in 2 to 3 days and youll have to answer the questions and email it back . he said he had been doing this for years and it wasnt uncommon for people to have this happen but the more details you put on the email the better. He then gave back my passport and said that after I replied to the email and my medical results came back they would email me and ask for my passport when they were ready and I should mail it to this adress. So I got the email and it asks for the times I have left my country of residence in the last 15 years , my addresses in the last 15 years , employment history and all my immediate relatives names. So I am wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and if it caused significant delays and also how detailed you responded to the email. because I live close to the US boarder so there is no way I can remember all the times I have left canada in the last 15 years

Timeline
39 minutes ago, MarioAllison said:

Hi so I had my interview Dec 1 . It was very easy , they asked for my passport and photos at the first window . then I sat down and waited maybe 20 min and then got called to the second window and they asked for my original birth and marriage certificate and my police certificate which was older than 1 year and then another passport size photo which luckly I had. He scanned the photo and gave it back to me. and he also took my finger prints and wondered if I had my medical and I said I didnt. I then sat down and waited 20 min and then got called to another window for my interview. the officer was very nice and friendly .  asked how I met my wife and if i ever had problems crossing the boarder which I have not. and then he wondered when I got my medical and I said 2 days ago. He was like oya of course it hasnt had time to come here then and acted like that wasnt a big deal . Then he said, its telling me we need more information. So the embassy will send you a email in 2 to 3 days and youll have to answer the questions and email it back . he said he had been doing this for years and it wasnt uncommon for people to have this happen but the more details you put on the email the better. He then gave back my passport and said that after I replied to the email and my medical results came back they would email me and ask for my passport when they were ready and I should mail it to this adress. So I got the email and it asks for the times I have left my country of residence in the last 15 years , my addresses in the last 15 years , employment history and all my immediate relatives names. So I am wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and if it caused significant delays and also how detailed you responded to the email. because I live close to the US boarder so there is no way I can remember all the times I have left canada in the last 15 years

Did you get a 221G? What did it say? Did the words "supplementary questions" or "DS-5535" ever get mentioned. Does the questionnaire also ask about your social media accounts? 

You can find your travel history to teh US on your I94. But I think it only goes back about 5 years. 

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
58 minutes ago, bkoz said:

Just had my interview, officer said he intends to approve.  Was really nervous about the recent reports of DS-5535 requests, so that was a big relief.

Hopefully the passport gets returned quickly... need to get back to my one-month old son as soon as possible

Congratulations!

Yes, I can imagine what a relief that must be. I am interviewing on Wednesday and the thing most concerning me is a possible DS-5535.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.