Esterlyn

Hiring a Lawyer for K1

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
28 minutes ago, brevig said:

WOW, a broken system has become even more broken.  INSANE.  We might as well white out the 14th amendment.

LOL! How does that violate your right? Why should USCIS have to hand hold when you forget to sign a form? If you can’t follow instructions -denied- feel free to apply again-that’s what I would do 😆 move the process along faster for those that can follow instructions. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

LOL! How does that violate your right? Why should USCIS have to hand hold when you forget to sign a form? I

I meant about this part "USCIS no longer HAS to send a RFE- they have the option of straight out denying ".  I mean they need to send RFE not just deny, as you paid money.  I do agree though, they don't need to hand hold you, but they have to send you an RFE or refund you.  I mean if the form is not signed, how can they accept the fee?

1 hour ago, brevig said:

I meant about this part "USCIS no longer HAS to send a RFE- they have the option of straight out denying ".  I mean they need to send RFE not just deny, as you paid money.  I do agree though, they don't need to hand hold you, but they have to send you an RFE or refund you.  I mean if the form is not signed, how can they accept the fee?

The "Blank Space Criteria" was a USCIS policy under the previous administration but was rescinded in April 2021. Source: https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-confirms-elimination-of-blank-space-criteria

I also personally never read about the Blank Space Criteria applied to fiance and spousal petitions. Only to the forms listed in the link above.

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Adventine said:

The "Blank Space Criteria" was a USCIS policy under the previous administration but was rescinded in April 2021.

I don't think this applies to missing signatures, as none of the forms listed are K1 related.  Plus I still think a signature is a very basic requirement that they can't deny and keep the money paid (as you never signed it).

However, I do HIGHLY DOUBT that the petitioner will be able to fill out the forms properly, and with enough info to prove everything needed, without having a lawyer, if after 2 tries he couldn't get the signature right, hehehe.

Anyways, my advice to the petitioner's friend is to have the petitioner hire a lawyer to help with the forms if he is still within the 2 year requirement.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, brevig said:

I mean if the form is not signed, how can they accept the fee?

The fee is to pay for processing......not approval. It takes time & money to review forms for accuracy, signing, etc.  It isn't a free service.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, brevig said:

Plus I still think a signature is a very basic requirement that they can't deny and keep the money paid (as you never signed it).

Sure, they can.  USCIS has the discretion to deny cases which were sent prematurely......as placeholders.   If you send an incomplete package (in any way), you are risking a denial.  Clearing the system of placeholder cases, helps to reduce the backlog.

Placeholder:  Any incomplete package which was intentionally sent just to establish a place in line. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

Sure, they can.  USCIS has the discretion to deny cases which were sent prematurely......as placeholders.   If you send an incomplete package (in any way), you are risking a denial. 

I see, but don't they have to send you an RFE asking for you to correct it?  Or I guess in this case they sent it and he messed up a 2nd time and then I got side tracked (my initial intent on the whole due process thing is if they don't give you a chance to respond, which it seems he got and then messed up again).  I just think this way stronger because without the signature it's like he never filed in the first place.

Timeline
Just now, brevig said:

I see, but don't they have to send you an RFE asking for you to correct it?  Or I guess in this case they sent it and he messed up a 2nd time and then I got side tracked (my initial intent on the whole due process thing is if they don't give you a chance to respond, which it seems he got and then messed up again).  I just think this way stronger because without the signature it's like he never filed in the first place.

The fact that he sent the form establishes the intent to have the form processed.  Unless it was changed, USCIS was given wider discretion to deny rather than send RFEs.   

3 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

USCIS no longer HAS to send a RFE- they have the option of straight out denying.

That policy change was recently rescinded.  USCIS reverted back to their old policy for "agency officers to issue an RFE or NOID when additional evidence could potentially demonstrate eligibility for an immigration benefit." -- https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-updates-policies-to-improve-immigration-services

Note that this doesn't mean USCIS will now tolerate obvious placeholder submissions.  The policy is meant to give petitioners/applicants "an opportunity to correct innocent mistakes and unintentional omissions."

Edited by Chancy
clarification

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Chancy said:

agency officers to issue an RFE or NOID

I see, I  think my issue was I was thinking nothing came back.  But if an NOID came back instead of RFE then you still have a chance to respond, so it's fair.  My issue is that if you pay, and they deny without any chance to respond (like what happened to me) then it is not fair, there IS NOT due process.

Anyways, in this situation he did respond and sent a copy instead of the original, so he got his chance and messed up, and has shown his inability to do the simplest thing so for sure a lawyer would help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, brevig said:

It is not a denial, but rather a rejection of the submission.  I don't believe they cash the check/MO when an incomplete form is submitted (forms that lack the minimum required documents), they simply reject it, send it back and let the filer re-submit.  In the case of the friend of the OP, they filed right at the end of the 2 year in-person meeting requirement, but USCIS would not even look at that until they received a complete package which took several months for the filer to complete.  At this point, it is only a guess, but I think the actual denial of the I129F was most likely the 2 year rule timeframe expiring by the time the filer actually had a complete package submitted.  We will see.

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

That policy change was recently rescinded.  USCIS reverted back to their old policy for "agency officers to issue an RFE or NOID when additional evidence could potentially demonstrate eligibility for an immigration benefit." -- https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-updates-policies-to-improve-immigration-services

Note that this doesn't mean USCIS will now tolerate obvious placeholder submissions.  The policy is meant to give petitioners/applicants "an opportunity to correct innocent mistakes and unintentional omissions."

Thanks. They really should update their policy as this says otherwise and is “current” as of 8/12… https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-e-chapter-6

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

36 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

They really should update their policy as this says otherwise and is “current” as of 8/12… https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-e-chapter-6

That manual page seems updated.  USCIS still has discretion to issue outright denial in certain cases where "the officer determines that there is no possibility that additional information or explanation will establish a legal basis for approval."

Can't think of a good example applicable to K1 right now, but for CR1, say, a case where the couple's wedding date on the marriage certificate is after the date on the divorce decree for the petitioner's previous marriage.  No amount of RFE responses can fix that, so it merits outright denial.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Chancy said:

That manual page seems updated.  USCIS still has discretion to issue outright denial in certain cases where "the officer determines that there is no possibility that additional information or explanation will establish a legal basis for approval."

Can't think of a good example applicable to K1 right now, but for CR1, say, a case where the couple's wedding date on the marriage certificate is after the date on the divorce decree for the petitioner's previous marriage.  No amount of RFE responses can fix that, so it merits outright denial.

The only example I can think of for a K1 is not meeting the 2 year in-person requirement.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We have had a few K1’s who were married, sometimes to the beneficiary.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.