Murph4865

I thought

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I find it funny that my wife looks at where clothes are made, for any that may be "Made in the Philippines". She say's they are much better made than the ones here in the US. But she still cant believe we pay that much for clothes.

Also, going to the big box lawn and garden for plants and laughing that people in the US will actually pay for plants that grow on the side of the road at home.

Ah, and wait till she cooks anything with "shrimp paste" as an ingredient, it take hours for the smell to go away. 

5 minutes ago, AlaMike said:

I find it funny that my wife looks at where clothes are made, for any that may be "Made in the Philippines". She say's they are much better made than the ones here in the US. But she still cant believe we pay that much for clothes.

Also, going to the big box lawn and garden for plants and laughing that people in the US will actually pay for plants that grow on the side of the road at home.

Ah, and wait till she cooks anything with "shrimp paste" as an ingredient, it take hours for the smell to go away. 

My wife has done the same thing with the clothing, but I dont think the US is a huge importer of cotton made goods from the Philippines.  It seems China, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam etc tend to be more common.  

My wife also said the exact same thing about the plants.  She has taken many photos and posted them online on why we are growing weeds in the parks and gardens :)  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline

@flicks1998

Has she asked you to stop so she can go pick someone's plants because they are very tasty in a soup? 

Speaking of pictures. My wife does not understand that you cannot just go in or around someone's house or property to take photos because they have a nice view. Also, what's with stopping in the middle of the road for a selfie? 

1 minute ago, AlaMike said:

@flicks1998

Has she asked you to stop so she can go pick someone's plants because they are very tasty in a soup? 

Speaking of pictures. My wife does not understand that you cannot just go in or around someone's house or property to take photos because they have a nice view. Also, what's with stopping in the middle of the road for a selfie? 

Exactly.  She keeps looking at the leaves very closely :)  Asking all kinds of questions on trees, flowers, plants, etc.  I had to tell her Im not a botanist.  We do have an elaborate garden though.  First time in my life I had one of those. :)  

Probably your wife stops in the middle of the road as she knows people have the right away here, unlike in the Philippines where you constantly have to dodge traffic.

The best one for me is my wife absolutely loves baseball.  I never knew this living in the Philippines as there hardly is any baseball.  She has favorite teams (basically any of the good ones) and will yell at the TV when someone makes a mistake, etc.  Basically a fanatic.  Ive had to tell her to chill out.  They play 162 games a season, they ARE going to lose some.  Its not life or death.  If they lose one its not the end of the season. :) 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

2 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

The best one for me is my wife absolutely loves baseball.  I never knew this living in the Philippines as there hardly is any baseball.  She has favorite teams (basically any of the good ones) and will yell at the TV when someone makes a mistake, etc.  Basically a fanatic.  Ive had to tell her to chill out.  They play 162 games a season, they ARE going to lose some.  Its not life or death.  If they lose one its not the end of the season. :) 

My wife is begging me to take her to a NASCAR race.  I have absolutely no idea where that is coming from.  Secondly, I'm a Gonzaga grad, and I have to keep a 10 foot buffer around her when we watch their basketball games on TV.  The jumping and flailing around is a sight to behold.  Dangerous but amusing in a scary way.  

Finally done.

4 minutes ago, Talako said:

My wife is begging me to take her to a NASCAR race.  I have absolutely no idea where that is coming from.  Secondly, I'm a Gonzaga grad, and I have to keep a 10 foot buffer around her when we watch their basketball games on TV.  The jumping and flailing around is a sight to behold.  Dangerous but amusing in a scary way.  

Yep, I never knew sports in the PI was about life and death but thats what it appears it is.  If they make it to the NCAA finals again, you better get a restraining belt attached to your couch! :)

23 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

Yep, I never knew sports in the PI was about life and death but thats what it appears it is.  If they make it to the NCAA finals again, you better get a restraining belt attached to your couch! :)

Sports? Wait until the Miss Universe pageant is showing!!!!

x

On 8/16/2021 at 9:03 AM, AlaMike said:

I like a lot of food my wife makes but when it starts to smell like decomposed dead bodies I stay away.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 8/16/2021 at 7:35 AM, flicks1998 said:

I’m just a simple immigrant, but even I knew that the Philippines sends a team (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_League_World_Series_(Asia-Pacific_and_Middle_East_Region) to the Little League World Series of baseball.  

Edited by Mike E

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’m just a simple immigrant, but even I knew that the Philippines sends a team (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_League_World_Series_(Asia-Pacific_and_Middle_East_Region) to the Little League World Series of baseball.  

Oh yeah. THAT team. :)  That’s a very long time ago and that team they sent was found to have sent teenagers and not little leaguers :)  One of the biggest cheating scandals in little league history. You’ll find a good YouTube video on it.

In country there are very very few baseball fields and if you can even find a team, they typically share gloves, bats, maybe will have one helmet. :)  Its very rudimentary and nobody really knows the rules.  But ask most Filipinos on basketball, boxing and sometimes volleyball and they are experts. 

Edited by flicks1998

8 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

Oh yeah. THAT team. :)  That’s a very long time ago and that team they sent was found to have sent teenagers and not little leaguers :)  One of the biggest cheating scandals in little league history. You’ll find a good YouTube video on it.

In country there are very very few baseball fields and if you can even find a team, they typically share gloves, bats, maybe will have one helmet. :)  Its very rudimentary and nobody really knows the rules.  But ask most Filipinos on basketball, boxing and sometimes volleyball and they are experts. 

When I was working in Saudi Arabia in 1990, I played softball a couple times a week.  My team had Americans, a couple of Brits, a rogue Australian, and 3 or 4 Filipinos.  The Filipinos had never played before and required some coaching and on-the-fly rule instruction.  Their enthusiasm and joy in being there offset any annoyance for errors.

BTW, they would shut the lights off at the start of final prayer call, so catching a flyball or a throw could be tricky.

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

Timeline
On 8/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, Scott Br said:

Sports? Wait until the Miss Universe pageant is showing!!!!

You are 100% correct. I now know how many pageants you have to win to get to the "big" one. My wife forced me to watch the entire thing, only to see Miss Philippines not get the crown. 

She was mad for the rest of the afternoon. 

On 8/17/2021 at 11:31 PM, flicks1998 said:

You can be traipsing through the jungle almost anywhere in the Philippines and stumble upon a legit concrete basketball court.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

On 8/17/2021 at 11:31 PM, flicks1998 said:

But ask most Filipinos on basketball, boxing and sometimes volleyball and they are experts. 

1 hour ago, boris64 said:

You can be traipsing through the jungle almost anywhere in the Philippines and stumble upon a legit concrete basketball court.

Basketball is a big deal in the Philippines. I have been there a few times and while I have never been to the jungle everywhere I did go I saw basketball courts. My 14 year old step son is into basketball and even plays on his school's basketball team. We live in Wisconsin and he was excited when the Bucks won the championship. I am not a big sports person myself but I support him the best I can. His goal is to make it onto a college basketball team and like I said I'm not a sports person but from watching him play I think he is pretty good. 

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.