NoMansLand2020

K1 vs CR1

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What is the price difference between K1 and CR1 when taking into consideration my fiancée has two small children that will accompany her to the US and AOS/ other misc. fees when going the K1 route? 

3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Also, is your fiancee planning to work soon after entering the US?  I ask because opportunity cost from lost income may also be a major financial hit with the K1 AOS route.  The new immigrant will not be authorized to work, possibly for up to a year after US entry with a K1 visa.  With a CR1 visa, they are allowed to work from day 1.

In addition to being unable to work, she would not be able to return to the US if she leaves during this time.  So if emergency travel back home is a possibility, CR-1 would be a better choice.

What's probably a more important detail than any of the fees though.   At this time in USEM there is a backlog of 6,000 to 8,000 approved K-1 petitions just waiting for interviews and they have been averaging under 50 interviews a month.  CR-1's seem to mostly be caught up.  Starting a new K-1 petition in the Philippines at this time would put someone at the back of a line that goes back to 2019.  Additionally, a non-Filipino fiancé outside of the Philippines has no path into the Philippines if they want to visit while they wait.   An overseas spouse of a Filipino can get a 9a visa to enter the Philippines should they want to spend time together while they wait.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

16 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

In addition to being unable to work, she would not be able to return to the US if she leaves during this time.  So if emergency travel back home is a possibility, CR-1 would be a better choice.

Who in the world want to come to USA and have to go to work almost immediately ?

I have always suggested giving a girl from Philippines about one year to adjust to USA, let her learn the way things work here, learn our culture, etc.  And then if she wants to work then let her work.

I would say the lion share of K1 petitioners in Philippines section is male and older than their fiance/spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Who in the world want to come to USA and have to go to work almost immediately ?

I have always suggested giving a girl from Philippines about one year to adjust to USA, let her learn the way things work here, learn our culture, etc.  And then if she wants to work then let her work.

I would say the lion share of K1 petitioners in Philippines section is male and older than their fiance/spouses

I would agree with you @Joe Kano But, my wife has wanted to work from the day she got here. I have explained each time, that she does not have EAD yet. Not to mention she is still learning to drive.

3 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Many people. My wife wanted to work right away to start contributing to the household. You will find the majority of people would want to get to work as soon as they arrive in the US. It is not as uncommon as you think. In fact, I would say it is more uncommon for immigrants NOT wanting to work immediately upon arrival.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, AlaMike said:

I would agree with you @Joe Kano But, my wife has wanted to work from the day she got here. I have explained each time, that she does not have EAD yet. Not to mention she is still learning to drive.

On the driving part I hired a driving instructor who specialize in Adults learning to drive.  With my short temper and her lack of driving skills looking back it was a very smart decision on my part.   😈

My wife was at least smart enough to get a Driver Licenses from the PHilippines, She had no clue how to drive but she had the license to be legal in the USA.

Edited by Joe Kano

1 hour ago, Unlockable said:

Many people. My wife wanted to work right away to start contributing to the household. You will find the majority of people would want to get to work as soon as they arrive in the US. It is not as uncommon as you think. In fact, I would say it is more uncommon for immigrants NOT wanting to work immediately upon arrival.

I would be a little apprehensive if someone came to USA and wanted go work immediately,  Geez come to USA and spend a few months adjusting to the USA and our lifestyle.  Then look for work.

Thankfully for me I own a business and it has been successful for many years so I don't need my wife to contribute to the household.   I was looking more of a housewife to cook, clean and take care of me,  Her job is me 😁

25 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

I would be a little apprehensive if someone came to USA and wanted go work immediately,  Geez come to USA and spend a few months adjusting to the USA and our lifestyle.  Then look for work.

Each persons situation is different but I tend to agree with this.  If arriving into the US and immediately working, I feel a person misses out on alot.  We have used the time to travel around to many different states and regions of the country just so she can get a feel for the place.  Been doing history lessons as well as we travel.  Introducing her to baseball. :)   Both of us are still not convinced that this is the place we want to be.  Her having never been to the US and me being away for 25 years, we didnt know what to expect, just that we are not entirely pleased with what has occured over that 25 year period.  And no, we wouldnt be returning to the Philippines to live. :) I feel if my wife arrived and immediately started working, we would both get caught up in the rat race and not taking the time to digest everything. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

How about the person makes their own decision in regards to working? 🙄 a lot of people would want to be productive and start/continue their career. 

6 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Do you think those are rather easy to get? I assume you go to a USCIS office and request it there?

Yes, you go to the USCIS office.  I’ve never heard of anyone turned down when they had a legitimate reason.

~ Tahoma

Edited by Tahoma

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.