Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Canada5 said:

Just wondering if anyone has renewed their passport between being DQed + registering for their appointment…

If so, did you put your previous passport where they ask for the passport # or the updated one? 

I didn’t renew but got a new one in my married name. I put my old one because that’s what they had on file. I brought both my old and new passports to the interview and asked them to update and use my new passport for the visa.

Timeline
2 hours ago, MTLSINGHZ said:

Hey fellow v’jers

i have my interview next week so do they ask for the choice of courier service ( sounds stupid) at the consulate or do we have to choose our self where we want to get passport delivered???

You choose it when you register your appointment, which has to be done before your interview. They will have emailed you the link to register your appointment. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline
1 hour ago, DGF said:

You choose it when you register your appointment, which has to be done before your interview. They will have emailed you the link to register your appointment. 

Thanks for replying 

but i have already received date and time in the email nvc sent me so still i would i have to register it for the adress  ?? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, DGF said:

Thanks for replying and yes now i successfully registered my appointment amwith the delivery of my passport 

Timeline

A quick update: my wife's interview was October 4th and she received her passport and visa back on October 12th. She had it sent to the local post office and they notified her.

Sending good thoughts to all those still waiting!

Timeline

Got my interview letter for Montreal early November after a massive wait.  

Wanted to ask here if anyone had experience during the interview qualifying for sponsorship based on assets rather than my US spouse's income?  We have more than enough assets to be approved but my US spouse doesn't have a high paying job.  On the NVC website there is a response to our uploaded documents saying something to the effect of my spouse's income level doesn't meet whatever guideline they require and that I would have to speak to the consular officer about that. I uploaded many bank statements and other proof of assets including a letter from our accountant detailing our assets and liabilities etc.  

Given the ridiculous processing times we have experienced getting this far I just want to make the interview go as smooth as possible.   Any experience with similar situations would be appreciated. 

Good luck to all of you.  Thanks for any insights you may offer. 

On 10/13/2021 at 2:37 PM, From_CAN_2_US said:

If your husband ever filed his taxes as "Married Filing Jointly" you would have an ITIN. You can get one as a non-resident spouse of a US citizen. Check with your husband if you have it.

Regardless, my understanding is you are authorised to work immediately after entering the states and activating your green card. Your SSN normally arrives in about 2 weeks of crossing (can take longer), and once you have it you can submit this to your employer. (i think it needs to be done within 90 days of starting employment).

Not speaking from experience here, but this is to the best of my knowledge.

There are others here such as @Shumai84 who had job offers before interview, and joined work soon after crossing. They would be best to advise.

Hi guys, sorry for the late response. Didn't check this forum for a while I'm overwhelmed with all the changes happening at the same time after crossing the border.

My new SSN card arrived in a week from crossing the border. Since I went to a college in the US, I already had an old SSN card and they kept the same number and issued a new card. I haven't received my green card yet, but I gave a copy of my immigration visa (expiring in a year) and a SSN card to my employer as soon as I received them, and I started working in 2 weeks from crossing the border. 

My understanding is that IR/CR immigrants are legally authorized to work as soon as we cross the border, but an employer would ask for a SSN number.

Timeline
On 10/15/2021 at 12:17 PM, Hawk Riders said:

Yeah, November 10 is our interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.