IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hawk Riders said:

do you already have an ITIN?

What is an ITIN?

I haven't even applied for the job. 
My husband got back to work (he came to montreal with me) and told all his coworkers. His HR rep said she needed a new assistant and asked when I was planning on coming down and if it would work for us.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Emilyy said:

What is an ITIN?

I haven't even applied for the job. 
My husband got back to work (he came to montreal with me) and told all his coworkers. His HR rep said she needed a new assistant and asked when I was planning on coming down and if it would work for us.

If your husband ever filed his taxes as "Married Filing Jointly" you would have an ITIN. You can get one as a non-resident spouse of a US citizen. Check with your husband if you have it.

Regardless, my understanding is you are authorised to work immediately after entering the states and activating your green card. Your SSN normally arrives in about 2 weeks of crossing (can take longer), and once you have it you can submit this to your employer. (i think it needs to be done within 90 days of starting employment).

Not speaking from experience here, but this is to the best of my knowledge.

There are others here such as @Shumai84 who had job offers before interview, and joined work soon after crossing. They would be best to advise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Emilyy said:

Does anyone have any experience starting work right after your cross the border without having a SS yet?

I am being offered a job at my husbands company...

You can work immediately.  Often, HR personnel are not familiar with the I-9 instructions, which state your MRIV (validated visa in your passport) is acceptable proof of identity and lawful status to work.  The I-9 instructions are here: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-9instr.pdf

Congrats ;)  It's always nice to move and have work straight away!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Just an update - my husband's interview was October 4, 2021. His visa status changed to approved on on October 8th, 2021. He picked up his visa at the courier yesterday and crossed and landed the same day (October 13th, 2021). I've updated our timeline.

Thank you all for this invaluable info and support. I will continue to lurk and jump in to help whenever I can!

I had my interview yesterday morning (Oct. 13th). I am refused for now, but they kept my passport and all of my documents. I got an e-mail at around 4pm the same day, asking me to provide additional information (DS-5535 I believe). I am about to send it to them, so hopefully it doesn't take them long to process it.

Does anyone else have a similar experience, and how long did it take for them to change your status to issued? 

Timeline
17 hours ago, Twiz&Toz said:

Yes u are good to go they are just putting he stamp in 

Thanks. 

I am so stressed because nothing has changed since the 8th and according to the excel sheet someone who had their interview the day before me already has their passport back. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, DrJanko10 said:

I had my interview yesterday morning (Oct. 13th). I am refused for now, but they kept my passport and all of my documents. I got an e-mail at around 4pm the same day, asking me to provide additional information (DS-5535 I believe). I am about to send it to them, so hopefully it doesn't take them long to process it.

Does anyone else have a similar experience, and how long did it take for them to change your status to issued? 

That is interesting. Are you a Canadian Citizen? Do you have a history of extensive traveling ? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.