Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, puppy_cute said:

Is anyone here going through the process while the U.S. petitioner lives with them in Canada? If you are DQ'ed with intent to reestablish domicile, please reply here, I would love to ask you some questions. My spouse has secured a U.S. job but we are not sure if we should just have her move back or do intent to reestablish domicile when we submit to NVC.

I didn't do my research and didn't realize I (the US spouse) needed domicile in the US. So we accidentally were living together in Canada while getting our documents together and when I realized I needed to re-establish, I sent in my US bank account, which I'd been keeping fully active since I left the US. They accepted that and we became DQ'd in Feb '21 - I had high hopes things would improve quicker, so myself and my daughters moved back to California in May, sadly before I knew about the lack of IL's. Now we are back and without a husband/dad in order to have domicile, but I'm regretting it with a heavy heart as it's looking like he won't see an IR until December the way things are going. We are not sure if we should go back and then re establish when he gets an IL or what. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, hellbob said:

Hi there,

Do we need to resubmit a Form I-864 for a joint sponsor along with a 2020 tax return? 

Thanks!

DQ'd Sep 2020, Interview Aug 2021

I was in the same situation. I uploaded a scan of the 2020 Tax Return under the co-sponsor area in the CEAC website and brought a copy with me to the interview. They asked me about the documents I uploaded last minute (2020 tax returns, new Canadian police certificate, and translation of my birth certificate) but they did not ask me any copy of the tax return nor the form. I think they really appreciate if you upload any new documents in advance (I uploaded 48 hours before the interview)

Edited by G_K

Timeline
6 minutes ago, puppy_cute said:

Here's what we have put together for the letter of intent to reestablish domicile to be submitted to NVC, please provide your feedback on how we can improve this (wording to sound more "legal" etc.) or if this is sufficient for NVC stage? We plan to either have my wife sign a lease and actually move before interview or just sign a lease and take it to the interview and tell the officer that we will move together after the visa is issued.

Thank you for posting your letter. I am a US citizen (dual actually) and my wife is Canadian. We've lived in Canada for nearly 20 years. Our sons live in Brooklyn, and were able to add my name to their apartment lease to establish domicile. I also maintain bank accounts etc. in the US. That seems to have been sufficient because my wife was DQ'd Dec. 1, 2020. Waiting patiently (wish). All the best to you in your process!

Timeline

Is there anyone who was able to import the vehicle without TPMS to the US recently from Vancouver. BC area? 

I was denied to import my car at the border after I installed the after-market TPMS by myself. The officer said he could help me import the car if it was installed by the professional ( he didn't seem care whether it is the after-market or OEM).  After I moved to the US, I am having difficulty finding any auto/tire shop who offer me to install even the after-market TPMS. I am thinking to go back to Vancouver either to try after-market TPMS again or sell my car as the border restriction was lift a little bit finally. Please let me know if you know any shop who can help me install TPMS in Vancouver, BC area. Thank you! 

Timeline
1 minute ago, puppy_cute said:

How long did it take for you to get DQ after document submission to NVC?

Our I-130 was approved in August 2019, but the DS-260 process got bogged down as they kept asking for other information.  

Timeline
2 hours ago, puppy_cute said:

Is anyone here going through the process while the U.S. petitioner lives with them in Canada?

We are in that situation, and I can tell you that they require actual solid documents.  The first time, the application was rejected because it looked like an electronic signature on the I-864.  We resubmitted and waited another two months, after which everything was accepted except they need stronger proof of domicile in US before DQ.  We had submitted a single letter explaining the housing agreement, bank statements, etc., but since they did not mention anything after the first round, we incorrectly supposed that was sufficient.  So now we try again with as many flowery documents as possible.  Wish you luck.

6 hours ago, Mgill91 said:

Hi, thank you! Yes, it was because I was refused entry at the border last August when trying to take my newborn daughter to visit her great grandmother. I wasn't able to prove ties to Canada because I was on maternity leave, and living at my parents house. They had to double check that I wasn't refused for anything that would make me inadmissible as a whole.

Thank you for sharing that. Did they take your passport during the interview when they placed the AP. ? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, puppy_cute said:

How long did it take for you to get DQ after document submission to NVC?

Go to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html  for up-to-date processing times. This is updated once a week, usually on Monday.

***NOTICE***

For another two weeks (or hopefully less), this timeframe will not be entirely accurate.  Through a period in May and June, all submissions were delayed.  They still arrived in the same order, but if the website says they are processing submissions received on June 8, they were likely submitted on June 3 or so. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Mgill91 said:

Thank you!!! I expected it to be sometime this week because my interview was on a Friday and I assumed Friday/the weekend were a write off but I was pleasantly surprised that it was done by today! Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you as well!

That’s really amazing news, you must be so relieved. I’m really hoping the next round will have more dates. I’m DQ’ed Oct 20…and by the way things have been moving along, I’ll likely get my interview in October (yup 1 full year after being DQ’ed). So taking on a few more days for AP, doing some deep breathing. I’m just so confused how everyone has “voluntarily withdrawn” on their refusal, but I just have “reused” and nothing else…it worries me. I guess I’ll see then.

I’m kinda kicking myself for having gone above and beyond to getting my police certificate renewed by getting finger printed in the US, paying $$$…when I could have just waited and done now that I’m back in Canada (and also seeing that indeed, they are accepting police certificates for 2 years). Ugh, being too overly prepared did really no good for me.

So yes, I really need some good news, and that things move along.

Best of luck to you, and congrats again!

3 hours ago, HAB said:

Thank you for sharing that. Did they take your passport during the interview when they placed the AP. ? 

Yes, the interviewing officer said that he was going to keep my passport because he saw no reason I wouldn't be getting my visa. Just had to do their due diligence. 

Timeline
40 minutes ago, alphabetagamma said:

Hello. I got a question for you. How does the tax situation work when a US citizen works in Canada for a US company remotely? I'm assuming it will be your US address that you have given to your employer. Do you have to pay taxes in both Canada and US? We are also exploring this option and was curious to know. Appreciate your response. Thank you

US citizens have to file in the US, no matter what country they live in, and if you live in Canada, you have to file there too. Filing both can be a annoying, but the US/CAN tax treaty helps -- you might want to talk to a cross-border tax advisor. As a US citizen living in Canada, I've come to accept that no matter how the tax rates may differ, in the end I'll pay whichever one is higher. :(

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Steve & Gloria said:

US citizens have to file in the US, no matter what country they live in, and if you live in Canada, you have to file there too. Filing both can be a annoying, but the US/CAN tax treaty helps -- you might want to talk to a cross-border tax advisor. As a US citizen living in Canada, I've come to accept that no matter how the tax rates may differ, in the end I'll pay whichever one is higher. :(

Thanks for your response. I understand. I was just curious to know if its allowed to work for a US company while living in Canada. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, alphabetagamma said:

Thanks for your response. I understand. I was just curious to know if its allowed to work for a US company while living in Canada. 

As far as I know, that's no problem. May depend on your exact circumstances though.

Edited by Steve & Gloria

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
28 minutes ago, alphabetagamma said:

From an immigration standpoint you are allowed to. From a taxation standpoint it makes for a awkward filing because your company isn't withholding for Canadian taxes which you or they could get into trouble over.

Edited by Kai (CanadaDude)

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Timeline

Can anyone please help share their experience in regards to not receiving green card after 90 days? I called USCIS and created a service request ticket. What can I expect out of this? 

Also, how can I do a search within a thread to find past post on similar topics. Thanks 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.