JeffAtl

Temporary Healthcare options

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiancee and her son will be here in 2-3 weeks and I need some decent healthcare until we're married and she goes on mine.  I've been unable to find any good affordable options.  Anyone know of any?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
34 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

My fiancee and her son will be here in 2-3 weeks and I need some decent healthcare until we're married and she goes on mine.  I've been unable to find any good affordable options.  Anyone know of any?

Its not uncommon for health plans including employer plans to allow "significant" others as eligible enrollees  

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The simplest thing to do is legally marry ASAP (especially if your company's plan allows insurance to be retroactive to the date of the marriage)

/one of many reasons why Anastasia and I got married three days after she arrived in the US

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
7 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

The simplest thing to do is legally marry ASAP (especially if your company's plan allows insurance to be retroactive to the date of the marriage)

/one of many reasons why Anastasia and I got married three days after she arrived in the US

I know thats simplest, but we need some time together after 9 months of not seeing each other.  We agreed to wait at least 60 days to get married.  So really, there are no good options other than catastrophic insurance, which would not include a regular doctor visit, for example.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

I know thats simplest, but we need some time together after 9 months of not seeing each other.  We agreed to wait at least 60 days to get married.  So really, there are no good options other than catastrophic insurance, which would not include a regular doctor visit, for example.

Honestly, for a short term catastrophic is probably fine (unless she has some medical condition that means she'll definitely need to see a doctor in that period) assuming it doesn't exclude anything important.

She ought to be able to take care of any regular medical needs before she comes to the US (and so shouldn't need to make any routine visits for a few months, and should have sufficient supplies of any prescription medicine she takes), and the biggest worry with not having insurance is an unexpected major expense, not an office visit.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
15 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

You can use a care station for now. I use them as my primary, it is not that expensive

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
22 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

I bought health insurance from one the valued visajourney advertisers.  Basically catastrophic insurance that included an emergency evacuation.  That was for the first month.  

Then the next day ai was able to successfully add my fiancée to my employer’s health insurance as a domestic partner.  Moving to the USA is considered qualifying life event.  

Then got married.  Another QLE which reduced my insurance premium.  

If you can apply for a social security number without mailing in the beneficiary’s passport, then you should rethink your plan to wait 60 days.  In some  it not most states, a K-1 fiancée cannot get a state ID if there are fewer than 60 days left on the I-94.  Apply for SSN 48 hours after entry, then get married then take SS card and marriage certificate to DMV to get a state ID, possibly a REAL ID.   

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I bought health insurance from one the valued visajourney advertisers.  Basically catastrophic insurance that included an emergency evacuation.  That was for the first month.  

Then the next day ai was able to successfully add my fiancée to my employer’s health insurance as a domestic partner.  Moving to the USA is considered qualifying life event.  

Then got married.  Another QLE which reduced my insurance premium.  

If you can apply for a social security number without mailing in the beneficiary’s passport, then you should rethink your plan to wait 60 days.  In some  it not most states, a K-1 fiancée cannot get a state ID if there are fewer than 60 days left on the I-94.  Apply for SSN 48 hours after entry, then get married then take SS card and marriage certificate to DMV to get a state ID, possibly a REAL ID.   

Wow, so much more to learn! Thanks for this.  The only reason we were waiting is to see how we do under the same roof 24/7 and be more certain (I'm about 90% and she claims she's 100%, so really more for me since all the financial risk is on me).  Where can I go to find out the rules on my state? Do you know?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
12 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Wow, so much more to learn! Thanks for this.  The only reason we were waiting is to see how we do under the same roof 24/7 and be more certain (I'm about 90% and she claims she's 100%, so really more for me since all the financial risk is on me).  Where can I go to find out the rules on my state? Do you know?

https://oklahoma.gov/dps/obtain-an-oklahoma-driver-license-id-card/applying-for-an-original-oklahoma-identification-card.html has lean information.  

https://www.realid.ok.gov has more.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will be facing this same question next year.  I've considered using the healthcare.gov marketplace.  Has anyone considered or used this option for temporary health insurance for their fiancee prior to becoming eligible for my employer's health plan?

Timeline
1 hour ago, ScottLangbehn said:

I will be facing this same question next year.  I've considered using the healthcare.gov marketplace.  Has anyone considered or used this option for temporary health insurance for their fiancee prior to becoming eligible for my employer's health plan?

Thats the one I'm looking at.  Just can't find out if routine visits are also covered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
17 hours ago, ScottLangbehn said:

You can’t use healthcare.gov or coveredca.com for temporary health insurance. They require I-485 documents proving that the person is doing the Adjust of Status. 

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

You won’t able to use Healthcare.gov until you get I-485 Receipt the I-797C NOA.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That’s good to know. I appreciate your response.  I will research other options so that I’m prepared when my fiancée arrives. Have a great day!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
55 minutes ago, p.dang said:

You can’t use healthcare.gov or coveredca.com for temporary health insurance. They require I-485 documents proving that the person is doing the Adjust of Status. 

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

You won’t able to use Healthcare.gov until you get I-485 Receipt the I-797C NOA.

Also includes :

Individual with Non-immigrant Status

Which a k1 is.

I got my wife added to my Obama care before we submitted her i485 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.