Michael_88

AOS for children in USA?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Visa Journey!!

If my mom is a greencard holder are my siblings who are under 21 able adjust their statuses in the USA? I ask because my mom is currently planning to move to the states from Canada as soon as her green card is issued and would like to bring them along as they're dependents. What is the best way to go about this type of situation? Much thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree, unless all parties are already inside the US, AOS is not an option.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

It's illegal to enter the US on a non-immigrant basis with the intent to immigrate by adjusting status.  

I see. So what do people do in the case where they have no one in their home country to watch their kids until they can join them?🥴 If thats the case if they have to remain in Canada on average how long does it take to get green cards for children?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Wait Until their children have left the nest.

A few years.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Another question would be how the mother maintains her LPR status while living in Canada?  Does she have a commuter GC?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Another question would be how the mother maintains her LPR status while living in Canada?  Does she have a commuter GC?

What is confusing to me,  she apparently is a greencard holder but is waiting in Canada for her greencard. 

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Sorry I worded the question incorrectly. My question was just hypothetical for I when I do plan to sponsor my mother. She isn't  a greencard holder yet but I do know the IR-5 visa process is much faster than many others. I just wanted to inquire about my siblings under  21 statuses as they're still dependents.

Timeline

How old are your siblings?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Michael_88 said:

Sorry I worded the question incorrectly. My question was just hypothetical for I when I do plan to sponsor my mother. She isn't  a greencard holder yet but I do know the IR-5 visa process is much faster than many others. I just wanted to inquire about my siblings under  21 statuses as they're still dependents.

“Much faster” is not “fast”. If you haven’t filed yet - looking at 1-2 years. Probably the longer end given the backlogs at Montreal. How old are your siblings? If they really are too young to be left alone then this maybe isn’t the right route yet. I mean, she could get a re-entry permit and stay with them and you’d be joint sponsor but then she also has to convince Montreal she’s finally ready to domicile in the US at their interview. Might be easier to wait till they’re older.

7 hours ago, Michael_88 said:

your fastest option is once your mother becomes a green card holder she can sponsor her other children for green cards. either ways to will take 2-3 years before the siblings can land in US 

duh

Timeline
50 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

your fastest option is once your mother becomes a green card holder she can sponsor her other children for green cards. either ways to will take 2-3 years before the siblings can land in US 

Thank you for ACTUALLY answering my question. In that case I guess we adults in the family will have to alternate our time between Canada/US until they are able to join us over here.

Timeline
8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yeah they...don’t immigrate yet if it means leaving children alone. Migration is a choice and it is not always the right choice at every stage in one’s life.

Agreed. I just figured minor children of green card holders would be able to immigrate with their qualifying parent(s) or at least would be able to do AOS in the U.S. The system is set in place like that for a reason right? So I'm not even going to waste my breath questioning or trying to challenge it.

Timeline

Parents are classified as immediate relatives, no wait.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.