9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I entered to U.S on March 2nd with K1 visa
My fiancé and I will get married soon but I have a question.

I know we need to get married within 90 days of my arrival. But, do we need to apply for the green card within 90 days? 
There are so many documents for green card and I don’t know if we can apply till May 30.(it’s my 90th days of arrival). We need to gather so many documents till that time. We will do our best to apply before that day but what if we apply on 100 or 120th day of my arrival? Would i be out of status with my k1 visa? Is there any rules about applying for the green card within 90 days of arrival with k1 visa?

CSC Received: 10/31/2019

NOA1              : 11/08/2019

NOA2              : 02/20/2020

48 minutes ago, Burcin & Chris said:

Hi everyone!

I know we need to get married within 90 days of my arrival. But, do we need to apply for the green card within 90 days? 
There are so many documents for green card and I don’t know if we can apply till May 30.(it’s my 90th days of arrival). We need to gather so many documents till that time. We will do our best to apply before that day but what if we apply on 100 or 120th day of my arrival? Would i be out of status with my k1 visa? Is there any rules about applying for the green card within 90 days of arrival with k1 visa?

You will be out of status, and no one here would recommend doing it that way.  Evaluating your tolerance to the risk of that is a personal choice.

Personally, we did everything we could to get our AOS paperwork in order, and sent it out the same day the marriage certificate was available.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Burcin & Chris said:

Hi everyone!

It took me 4 hrs. to put the application together,  what do you believe you need to gather?

YMMV

*~*~*adjustment of status question moved from “K-1 fiancé visa progress reports” to “adjustment of status from K visas”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

17 hours ago, Burcin & Chris said:

Hi everyone!

no need to worry seriously i got married on sep 30 2019 filled on january 5 2020 which was i guess after 90 days .. had interview on 31 dec 2021 because of this covid.. just make sure when you file application click on box when it asks is that you overstayed say yes.. officer only asked me is that you overstayed .. i explained i filled after 90 days so it counts overstay and i said yes.. so we had no problem also we have 6 month old kid so officer barely asked 3 questions and approved the case and gave letter of approval right away.. waiting for greencard which is getting produced

7 minutes ago, Aj1320 said:

no need to worry seriously i got married on sep 30 2019 filled on january 5 2020 which was i guess after 90 days .. had interview on 31 dec 2021 because of this covid.. just make sure when you file application click on box when it asks is that you overstayed say yes.. officer only asked me is that you overstayed .. i explained i filled after 90 days so it counts overstay and i said yes.. so we had no problem also we have 6 month old kid so officer barely asked 3 questions and approved the case and gave letter of approval right away.. waiting for greencard which is getting produced

That’s some time travel 🙂 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
23 hours ago, Burcin & Chris said:

Hi everyone!

You are getting advice to file for green card after 90 days. This is incorrect. In fact you need to file so that package arrives at USCIS before the 90 days. You also need to file with tracking. I recommend USPS priority mail. 

This is why you are getting incorrect advice:

Filing after the 90 days opens a window where an unlucky encounter with law enforcement can lead to a stay in an ICE prison cell. Don't do that.

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Once you get  married, and apply for AOS, and get your NOA1 you will be fine. Make sure to also apply for EA and early parole if you need to travel.

Keep us updated and good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.