TanyaF

Is it possible for family members to interview in different countries?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I am an Aussie, currently in the US on a B2 visa visiting my fiancé. Our I-129F petition was finally approved, and I know I need to leave the US to be interviewed for my K1 visa. I have two dependent children,  currently in Australia, who will need to be interviewed for their K2 visas. Is it possible for us to be interviewed in different countries (i.e. for me to be interviewed in El Salvador and for my children to be interviewed in Australia)? Reason: it is difficult to get a flight back to Australia with current COVID-19 travel caps and we want our family to be reunited ASAP. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What would be your status in El Salvador?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Ask the Consulate, could be tricky, I can think of al sorts of practical problems, but if the Consulate will not play ball none matter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Outside of some corner cases which I don't think an Aussie can possibly fall under (because the US and Australia have normal relations), you have to interview at an embassy/consulate that covers immigrant visas for a country where you have citizenship or legal residence.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline

Thanks. I have, but they seem to be quite confused about what I'm requesting and we're going around in circles. They sent my request to Australia who replied that it's up to El Salvador. El Salvador then re-sent to Australia 🤦‍♀️

Timeline

Indirectly sounds like you had your answer.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They seem to have referred it to Australia for their consideration of the request rather than processing, but yeah I suspect you may be right.

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Thanks. I have, but they seem to be quite confused about what I'm requesting and we're going around in circles. They sent my request to Australia who replied that it's up to El Salvador. El Salvador then re-sent to Australia 🤦‍♀️

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

To interview in El Salvador, you would need to have El Salvadoran citizenship or legal residency.  You have neither.

What you are asking for is out of the ordinary and that is why you are getting the run around.  

To reunite your family ASAP, you will need to return to Australia.  

Ok, here's how this works.

1. You don't ask your consulate, you ask the OTHER consulate first for the courtesy to take your case. They contact the other consulate, and then u sign a 

2. Everyone here is giving you correct & technical answer: you must hold residency/citizenship within that consulate's jurisdiction to get their access. They are correct, HOWEVER,

3. You can always ask the consulate. You simply briefly explain the situation, and see what they say. It makes sense. That's it. However, it's up to them, and they DO NOT have to grant you courtesy. 

4. Even if granted the courtesy, it doesn't mean you'll get the appointment right away or in the near future. So take caution.

WIsh you the best.

Edited by fezlopez

Timeline
13 hours ago, fezlopez said:

Ok, here's how this works.

1. You don't ask your consulate, you ask the OTHER consulate first for the courtesy to take your case. They contact the other consulate, and then u sign a 

2. Everyone here is giving you correct & technical answer: you must hold residency/citizenship within that consulate's jurisdiction to get their access. They are correct, HOWEVER,

3. You can always ask the consulate. You simply briefly explain the situation, and see what they say. It makes sense. That's it. However, it's up to them, and they DO NOT have to grant you courtesy. 

4. Even if granted the courtesy, it doesn't mean you'll get the appointment right away or in the near future. So take caution.

WIsh you the best.

Thank you, this is really helpful and matches advice received from Dept of State.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.