green_rabbit

March 2021 - AOS filers

535 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/2/2021 at 3:52 PM, OliverBa said:

Medical/Financial reasons. But the EAD was based on K1 status, not on AOS status. So we paid the EAD fee, he got a 3 month EAD, which expires soon. Now we need another EAD for pending AOS, which will be “free.”

Hey there, my fiancé and I will be filing for AOS through the K1 in May but I’ve been lurking around the past threads to see everyone’s experiences. What do you mean by your fiancé only got a 3 month EAD based on k1 status? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, pooj97 said:

Hey there, my fiancé and I will be filing for AOS through the K1 in May but I’ve been lurking around the past threads to see everyone’s experiences. What do you mean by your fiancé only got a 3 month EAD based on k1 status? 

If you look on the list of visa types that are entitled to an EAD based on the visa status alone, you will see K1 is on this list. This means a long time ago when applications didn’t take months to process, a k1 could come, apply for EAD and work up until the 90th day. They would need to submit another EAD before the 90 days when they do AOS because they K1 EAD cannot be extended or renewed because the K1 status is expired. So you would need to file another EAD application based on AOS status, this is why if you file EAD with AOS, the fee is free, because by the time you get it, you usually get your Green card a few weeks to a month later, which negates the purpose of the EAD because you don’t need it anymore.

So long story short:

-you can get EAD based off K1 status alone

-it will expire the same day your I-94 K1 status expires

-it cannot be renewed or extended

-the only way to get it before the 90 day k1 status is up, is to expedite it, and then expedite the expedite.

-It can go a lot quicker if your fiancé already has biometrics on file from a previous visa or petition, so they don’t need to schedule a biometrics appointment. 

Our 90 days was up this past weekend, we expedited the second EAD, based off having a current job, when we filed AOS paperwork and it should arrive in the next couple of days. 

Edited by OliverBa

DCF China

07/15/2018: Married

10/22/2018: Filed I-130 @ Guangzhou Embassy

11/06/2018: Received Emailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

11/27/2018: Received Mailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

11/28/2018: Interview at the Embassy

12/15/2018: We were informed by letter from the embassy that based on how we got married, that we were not legally married technically and therefore could not file an I-130, unless we could provide evidence showing that our marriage license would be recognized by the issue authority (the Court).

Jan-July 2019: Attempted unsuccessfully to get married in 5 other countries; my fiancé's tourist visa application was continuously denied which left us with only the K1 option

K1 Visa

08/28/2019: Filed I-129F K1

09/04/2019: NOA1 Received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi Guys ! 

Got my Receipts Numbers today ! 

Here is my timeline: 

- March 3rd: My husband (USC) filed I-130 online (PDF receipt same day)

- March 9: I-485/I-131/I-765 Shipped (including the I-944 as I didn't see it was discontinued that same day) 

- March 12: I-485/I-131/I-765 Received by USCIS

- April 6 3 Receipts # received by texts for : I-131, I-765 and I-485 (for that one the case status says they accept my fingerprints fees, I guess it means they also accept the rest of the fees).

- I am waiting for  the receipts sent by mail. 

My check hasn't been cashed yet, but pretty sure it's gonna happen soon. 

Hope every March filers will get theirs soon too !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone! I’ve been looking for an April 2021 AOS group with the search and can’t seem to find one. (Adjusting from a K1)

sent mine off yesterday. I know I’m looking at quite a bit 4+ weeks probably but what’s everyone’s average been for a NOA1 notice. 

thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone here! 

Edited by ashley_ann

7 minutes ago, ashley_ann said:

Hey everyone! I’ve been looking for an April 2021 AOS group with the search and can’t seem to find one. (Adjusting from a K1)

sent mine off yesterday. I know I’m looking at quite a bit 4+ weeks probably but what’s everyone’s average been for a NOA1 notice. 

thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone here! 

NOA1 is from 4 to 6 weeks from what I read.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, justinedr said:

NOA1 is from 4 to 6 weeks from what I read.

Thank you so much! I tried searching those key words and nothing 😂 

and sounds good! That’s kind of what I thought! Thanks for confirming! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/5/2021 at 1:18 AM, OliverBa said:

If you look on the list of visa types that are entitled to an EAD based on the visa status alone, you will see K1 is on this list. This means a long time ago when applications didn’t take months to process, a k1 could come, apply for EAD and work up until the 90th day. They would need to submit another EAD before the 90 days when they do AOS because they K1 EAD cannot be extended or renewed because the K1 status is expired. So you would need to file another EAD application based on AOS status, this is why if you file EAD with AOS, the fee is free, because by the time you get it, you usually get your Green card a few weeks to a month later, which negates the purpose of the EAD because you don’t need it anymore.

So long story short:

-you can get EAD based off K1 status alone

-it will expire the same day your I-94 K1 status expires

-it cannot be renewed or extended

-the only way to get it before the 90 day k1 status is up, is to expedite it, and then expedite the expedite.

-It can go a lot quicker if your fiancé already has biometrics on file from a previous visa or petition, so they don’t need to schedule a biometrics appointment. 

Our 90 days was up this past weekend, we expedited the second EAD, based off having a current job, when we filed AOS paperwork and it should arrive in the next couple of days. 

Thank you! That's really interesting and didnt even know this was an option

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

Got text receipts from USCIS last night.

Timeline sketch:

I-130/I-485 concurrent filing sent 12-MAR-21

Text receipts received 8-APR-21 (waiting on mailed receipts)

Checks cashed 9-APR-21

Feels like some sort of progress, which is nice. Refuels the patience tank.

looks like theyre working even on weekends? i received text messages with my receipt numbers just now. for reference, my papers were delivered to the lockbox by UPS last March 18.

is it right that 485/765/131 case numbers are prefixed with MSC, and not WAC or NBC?

Edited by justinedr

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
15 hours ago, justinedr said:

looks like theyre working even on weekends? i received text messages with my receipt numbers just now. for reference, my papers were delivered to the lockbox by UPS last March 18.

is it right that 485/765/131 case numbers are prefixed with MSC, and not WAC or NBC?

Same here - 3 MSC (aka NBC or National Benefits Center) text receipts received on April 11. Check cleared on April 12. 

485/765/131 applications were delivered by Fedex on March 17. Receipt date shows March 17 for the 765 and 131, but I guess they wait until 485 is processed (April 9 in my case) and let you know all at once. Long wait ahead but glad to be over this hurdle. 

just received the receipt #'s via SMS today. just wondering, does the case number really starts with MSC? I tried checking the status online but it says that case number is invalid. for reference, we sent our application last March 19, USCIS received it last march 20

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, mitanyag said:

just received the receipt #'s via SMS today. just wondering, does the case number really starts with MSC? I tried checking the status online but it says that case number is invalid. for reference, we sent our application last March 19, USCIS received it last march 20

Yes it does. My case number starts with MSC. That means your case is being processed at the National Benefits Center (For I-485 it would be your local field office).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
17 hours ago, Siggy said:

Anybody who are still waiting for NOa1. Filed on 10 March no NOA1 yet..

I received mine today after filling on March 12th.  I received all the receipts except for my I765. I don't understand why they didn't provide receipt for the form. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.