Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/1/2021 at 4:54 PM, JandTK said:

We received our passport back today also.  I was having some issues with the pay.gov site that it redirects you to in order to make the actual payment but it eventually let me pay the fees.

Hey! Did you change browsers when the pay.gov website didn't work? It takes me all the way till I enter my cc number and billing address but then gives me an error. I am using Google Chrome so I was wondering if you did anything different to be able to pay the fees eventually?

Thanks!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, A&RN said:

Hey! Did you change browsers when the pay.gov website didn't work? It takes me all the way till I enter my cc number and billing address but then gives me an error. I am using Google Chrome so I was wondering if you did anything different to be able to pay the fees eventually?

Thanks!

So I had the same issue as it didn't work on chrome on laptop or phone as I also kept getting the error. I eventually got it to work on IE on my phone. Eventually, it will work. :)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SSS24 said:

So I had the same issue as it didn't work on chrome on laptop or phone as I also kept getting the error. I eventually got it to work on IE on my phone. Eventually, it will work. :)

Oh great! okay. I will try that then. Thank you!

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Lovewithoutborder said:

Like what happens if your SSN takes more than 1 month to arrive and you can’t get a drivers license for the state you live in without a valid SSN? Because then if you can’t register or insure your car in your state without a state drivers license, and you can’t get a state drivers license without an SSN, and your SSN is taking longer than the 30 days given to you to register and insure your car, and you’re no longer within the state guidelines so ICBC won’t cover you, then how are you suppose to get insurance or drive? It seems like there’s tons of rules for everything and certain fine print and stipulations for each government office and insurance office you deal with, however, none of the rules or offices or policies take each other into account. 

Yeah this is all so true. I scheduled my driver's license appointment the day after my POE and it's not until my 30 days already runs out so I actually couldn't get tags for my car until then even if the import had gone perfectly at POE. Luckily my wife has a car in her name and she can add me to the insurance, because otherwise how would I get to the driver's license appointment? Like you say it's all this Kafkaesque bureaucracy nonsense with nobody caring about what the other offices are doing, or about realities of the world haha.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, legendqueue said:

Yeah this is all so true. I scheduled my driver's license appointment the day after my POE and it's not until my 30 days already runs out so I actually couldn't get tags for my car until then even if the import had gone perfectly at POE. Luckily my wife has a car in her name and she can add me to the insurance, because otherwise how would I get to the driver's license appointment? Like you say it's all this Kafkaesque bureaucracy nonsense with nobody caring about what the other offices are doing, or about realities of the world haha.

That’s awesome to hear. As if the immigration process wasn’t stressful enough. Now I get to look forward to not being able to drive or get insurance or a license. And considering I am a truck driver for work it looks like I probably should expect a few months of not being able to work lol 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lovewithoutborder said:

Here’s another question that is probably completely overthinking because all I seem to ever do during this immigration process is stress and overthink.

Hypothetically, If you have 30 days to register and insure your car in the state that you move to, and your ICBC insurance only covers you as long as you conform to that states regulations, can you register and insure your car while still having a BC license?

Like what happens if your SSN takes more than 1 month to arrive and you can’t get a drivers license for the state you live in without a valid SSN? Because then if you can’t register or insure your car in your state without a state drivers license, and you can’t get a state drivers license without an SSN, and your SSN is taking longer than the 30 days given to you to register and insure your car, and you’re no longer within the state guidelines so ICBC won’t cover you, then how are you suppose to get insurance or drive? It seems like there’s tons of rules for everything and certain fine print and stipulations for each government office and insurance office you deal with, however, none of the rules or offices or policies take each other into account. 

This doesn’t just go for car insurance or drivers licensing either, like getting a lease, getting a job, a lot of things seem to be like this, where you can’t do one thing without having the other, but you can’t do the other without doing the thing you can’t do without the other. I might be overthinking it, but from the sounds of it, if you don’t get your GC and SSN decently quickly, it could make your life really difficult trying to get everything switched over and organized and finding work really. 

Definitely overthinking it.  

Example: The (a)lone Star State.  You have to have an imported vehicle inspected and registered within 30 days of bringing it into state.  HOWEVER, you cannot even apply for your driver's license until you've lived in the state for 30 days.  It's dumb.  Needless to say, when I tried to register my truck, it was in mine and my partner's name and they wouldn't accept a scanned copy of his signature on the registration form.  TX DPS just issued a temporary tag until he relocated to TX and we were able to register it.  

When I moved back a year ago, I tried to get my license switched over.  I didn't have a copy of my truck insurance that had my name (just hubs) so the DPS office wouldn't let me attend my appointment.  I was so defeated because I was past the 90 days to switch it and DPS had JUST reopened by appointment.  A state trooper was there and said don't sweat it. You have a valid license, regardless of what jurisdiction it's from. Until DPS is able to get caught up, no one is going to give you a hard time.  

Granted, this will depend on which state you're in, but I still there are ways around most things and at this point in covid times, even more forgiveness it seems.  Canadians and our PR counterparts are at least lucky in that we can establish banking ahead of time.  Additionally, if you've been married and filed income tax, you can use the trusty ole ITIN if need be.  That's how we put my kids onto hub's US insurance before we even left Canada - their ITIN's.  We'll update the SSN's once we get them (yes, after nearly a year, I still don't have SSN's for these kids!) as we managed to get appointments for the 12th (FINALLY). 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
37 minutes ago, mam521 said:

Definitely overthinking it.  

Example: The (a)lone Star State.  You have to have an imported vehicle inspected and registered within 30 days of bringing it into state.  HOWEVER, you cannot even apply for your driver's license until you've lived in the state for 30 days.  It's dumb.  Needless to say, when I tried to register my truck, it was in mine and my partner's name and they wouldn't accept a scanned copy of his signature on the registration form.  TX DPS just issued a temporary tag until he relocated to TX and we were able to register it.  

When I moved back a year ago, I tried to get my license switched over.  I didn't have a copy of my truck insurance that had my name (just hubs) so the DPS office wouldn't let me attend my appointment.  I was so defeated because I was past the 90 days to switch it and DPS had JUST reopened by appointment.  A state trooper was there and said don't sweat it. You have a valid license, regardless of what jurisdiction it's from. Until DPS is able to get caught up, no one is going to give you a hard time.  

Granted, this will depend on which state you're in, but I still there are ways around most things and at this point in covid times, even more forgiveness it seems.  Canadians and our PR counterparts are at least lucky in that we can establish banking ahead of time.  Additionally, if you've been married and filed income tax, you can use the trusty ole ITIN if need be.  That's how we put my kids onto hub's US insurance before we even left Canada - their ITIN's.  We'll update the SSN's once we get them (yes, after nearly a year, I still don't have SSN's for these kids!) as we managed to get appointments for the 12th (FINALLY). 

Thank you for the info! It is good to know that there are ways around it, I’m probably going to get my wife added as a co-owner on my vehicle so hopefully we can get it insured under her.

I drive a truck for a living so I probably overthink and stress about the switching your license portion of the move more than most people. None of the states reciprocate Canadian truck driving licenses anymore so basically until I’m able to get my SSN and switch over my license and redo all the testing required for a US truck driving license I will either be out of work or switching fields. I guess that’s why I’m so worried about the whole SSN and DMV process more than most people. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Meghan.brooke said:

Does anyone know the next cut off date for the next batch of interviews? 

Just a hunch from looking at patterns on the spreadsheet... I’m guessing cut off will be dq dates 09/09/20. Just a guess tho 

2 hours ago, Lovewithoutborder said:

Thank you for the info! It is good to know that there are ways around it, I’m probably going to get my wife added as a co-owner on my vehicle so hopefully we can get it insured under her.

I drive a truck for a living so I probably overthink and stress about the switching your license portion of the move more than most people. None of the states reciprocate Canadian truck driving licenses anymore so basically until I’m able to get my SSN and switch over my license and redo all the testing required for a US truck driving license I will either be out of work or switching fields. I guess that’s why I’m so worried about the whole SSN and DMV process more than most people. 

You might want to double check that. Im also a truck driver in Ontario and Michigan will reciprocate my Licence. So it’s not true that all the states won’t

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Jmillerca said:

You might want to double check that. Im also a truck driver in Ontario and Michigan will reciprocate my Licence. So it’s not true that all the states won’t

Oh really? Even the Commercial portion of it? Everything I have seen has said that majority of states will reciprocate Canadian licences but not a Canadian CDL. Which I took to mean that I could hand in my Canadian Class 1 CDL license and they’d give me a US class 5 or standard drivers license and I would have to redo all the testing to get a CDL. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, SamC88 said:

Waiting for ILs to be issued is super stressful! Has anyone received their IL yet? 

No invites went out this month yet. If you’re subscribed to notifications of new messages in this thread and you see there are 20-30 notifications in a single morning, it’s IL day lol.

Edited by NimF

12 minutes ago, Lovewithoutborder said:

Oh really? Even the Commercial portion of it? Everything I have seen has said that majority of states will reciprocate Canadian licences but not a Canadian CDL. Which I took to mean that I could hand in my Canadian Class 1 CDL license and they’d give me a US class 5 or standard drivers license and I would have to redo all the testing to get a CDL. 

Yes! I was worried too from reading stuff on line, so I went and talked to them personally and they told me that it will! I don’t know if other states are different and if it has to do with the province your licence is from but  If I was you I would call whichever state you’re moving too and talk to them direct.

Timeline
10 hours ago, SamC88 said:

Waiting for ILs to be issued is super stressful! Has anyone received their IL yet? 

They’re a been no movement as of yet- maybe they’re going back to mid-month release but if they do that, anyone who has to quarantine is totally fricked for early April interviews 😩

no one knows anything and we are all just anxious speculators doing our best 😭😭

IR1 - DQ Oct 16 2020

---

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet 
(follow instructions at the top of the page and DM @Hawk Riders to be added)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.