Bug&Bug

Tips on writing a US CV?

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Adventine said:

As others have said, one page will normally be enough, don't include photographs, and highlight your achievements using action verbs.

I also recommend printing out your resume to review it, as many spelling/formatting mistakes are more obvious on a printed sheet of paper.

Here is a great LinkedIn video about writing a resume tailored for the US market: Writing a successful resume (linkedin.com)  It has plenty of specific examples and may give you even more ideas. As an aside, once you're satisfied with your resume, consider updating your LinkedIn profile with the same content. It's a great tool for job searching.

Good luck!

Wow those videos are really good, thankyou!?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from Working & Traveling During US Immigration to Finding Work in America**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

52 minutes ago, millefleur said:

but get on LinkedIn, make your profile there look really good

Yup. You will get lots of spammy recruiter style messages, but you can also strike gold. My husband got a fabulous job at a large company (global household name) through their recruiter doing a LinkedIn search for someone with his attributes!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Everyone here has such great ideas and suggestions.  We need more threads like this.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
On 1/2/2021 at 9:55 PM, SusieQQQ said:

Something else to be aware of is not just having your resume (not CV ;) ) American style, but also understand that many companies run applications through software that filters out a first cut. Best of course is to have a human contact that you know will at least look at the application, but if not, make sure your cover letter is tailored to the job specs and uses key words that the advert uses so that it doesn’t get auto-filtered out even before someone can read it.

Also I skimmed the above fast so may have missed this but - make sure you have the fact that you are a green card holder (or otherwise have a right to work) right at the top of your resume under your name - some resume readers will see foreign experience/qualifications and just assume you need a work visa, and toss the application as a result.

Good luck! 

I was thinking if/how I should indicate on my resume that I'm a green card holder. Besides, I speak too other languages beside English, but I don't think it's relevant/required in the jobs I'll apply here. Do I need to include that?

1 hour ago, mave said:

I was thinking if/how I should indicate on my resume that I'm a green card holder. Besides, I speak too other languages beside English, but I don't think it's relevant/required in the jobs I'll apply here. Do I need to include that?

Definitely indicate you are a green card holder, preferably at the top with your other basic bio details, or the assumption might be made that you require sponsorship. Personally I would include language proficiency. You never know when it comes in handy. I know someone who sells glassware, and being fluent in French was a huge plus factor in getting her the job because their suppliers are French.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Definitely indicate you are a green card holder, preferably at the top with your other basic bio details, or the assumption might be made that you require sponsorship. Personally I would include language proficiency. You never know when it comes in handy. I know someone who sells glassware, and being fluent in French was a huge plus factor in getting her the job because their suppliers are French.

Many thanks for your advice and tips. Much appreciated.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, mave said:

All the applications ive sent so far ask if im allowed to work in the usa without sponsorship, so i dont think you need that. Languages I would add.

1 hour ago, Bug&Bug said:

All the applications ive sent so far ask if im allowed to work in the usa without sponsorship, so i dont think you need that. Languages I would add.

My rule of thumb would be:

will leaving the information in hurt? (No)

will leaving it out hurt?  (Yes, possibly)

you have no idea what kind of employers strangers on the internet are looking for or what their job applications look like. Anything that’s going to stop the resume getting binned at the first cut is worthwhile imo. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ranting.

I suck at this whole "acomplishments" thing.

I dont think my resume is making the cut at all, my lack of horn tooting skills dont help!

Might eventually invest in a professional resume writer but they dont come cheap! Trying AI tools now and they all say my resume is rubbish ha!

10 minutes ago, Bug&Bug said:

Just ranting.

I dont think my resume is making the cut at all, my lack of horn tooting skills dont help!

Might eventually invest in a professional resume writer but they dont come cheap! Trying AI tools now and they all say my resume is rubbish ha!

Before you drop the $$$ on a professional resume writer, have you considered asking your spouse if they have any mentors who could possibly take a look at your resume and maybe even practice doing interviews, American-style?

My spouse actually reached out to his own bosses (who I have also met socially) and asked them to do mock job interviews with me, once I'm ready to apply for jobs again.

Don't underestimate the kindness of acquaintances who may be happy to help you get started with life in the US!

4 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Before you drop the $$$ on a professional resume writer, have you considered asking your spouse if they have any mentors who could possibly take a look at your resume and maybe even practice doing interviews, American-style?

My spouse actually reached out to his own bosses (who I have also met socially) and asked them to do mock job interviews with me, once I'm ready to apply for jobs again.

Don't underestimate the kindness of acquaintances who may be happy to help you get started with life in the US!

I hadnt even thought about that! 

Thanks for the idea!

19 hours ago, Bug&Bug said:

Just ranting.

Same. And I think I'm suffering from Impostor Syndrome 😩

I-751

July 25, 2023 - Submitted ROC via USPS 

July 31, 2023 - Credit card charged

Aug 1, 2023 - Text confirmation with IOE number received

Aug 14, 2023 - 48-month extension letter received

Aug 23, 2023 - Biometrics appointment at Brooklyn ASC

I-485

July 2, 2020 - 1st AOS submission via USPS  | July 19, 2020 - Rejected package received due to "missing forms" | July 20, 2020 - Resubmitted AOS Package | July 26, 2020 - AOS received at Chicago lockbox via USPS

July 27, 2020 - USCIS online status: Case received

Aug 9, 2020 - Credit card was charged | Aug 13, 2020 - Received SMS confirmation from USCIS | Aug 17, 2020 - Received NOAs in the mail | Aug 21, 2020 - USCIS account updated to RFE (waiting for mail)

Aug 27, 2020 - Hard copy of RFIE received in the mail (I-864EZ rejected) | Aug 31, 2020 - Response to RFIE sent to NBC

Sept 9, 2020 - Response to RFIE received by USCIS | Sept. 22, 2020 - Received I-693 deficiency notice

Nov 21, 2020 - Date USCIS sent out biometrics appointment letter  | Nov. 28, 2020 - Received bio appointment letter

Dec 18, 2020 - Biometrics appointment completed in Brooklyn ASC | Dec. 19, 2020 - Case updated to fingerprints taken (I-485 and I-765) | Dec. 30, 2020 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

Feb 25, 2021 - New card is being produced (EAD) | Feb. 26, 2021 - EAD and AP have been approved

Mar 3, 2021 - Combo card received | Mar. 5, 2021 - SSN card received

Aug 31, 2021 - Case updated online to interview has been scheduled | Sept 8, 2021 - Interview schedule received in the mail via USPS

Oct 5, 2021 - Scheduled interview | Oct 6, 2021 - Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.