ThaOne

If waiting long for interview: Try this...

28 posts in this topic

I filed January 31st, 2020 and did my bio mid February (before the lockdown). My completion date was September and estimated wait time was August. Things stayed the same till the wait time winded down to 4 days then I got the "We are taking longer..." message but the completion remained September. Then in September the Completion estimated date also went away. So since early August really I had passed the wait time and there was no news (that's 4 months). I didn't bother calling uscis, because I knew it would be a generic response.

But November 30th I decided to try something. I figured what if I added a document to myUSCIS? Would that act like a "bump" in a thread? Since I have seen some people who filed after me, somehow get done, maybe if I added something to my file, it would trigger something and maybe remind USCIS that I actually still exist and am waiting. So I added a document to my file online in the documents section (a pdf) on November 30th. Three days later I received in my documents section the interview letter with an interview scheduled for next month.

I am not saying with certainty that this is what did the trick and triggered something in their system and they realized that they were "behind" in my case and I was still waiting, but this would be quite a very big coincidence if that wasn't the case. 4 months of nothing then only 3 days after I add something to my file I get my appointment?

It's worth a try. If you want to give it a go just add anything else you believe to be relevant that you hadn't already submitted (i.e irs documents, w2s, bank statements...).

Note: I have been a LPR almost 15 years so I filed under the 5 year rule, and had submitted all the documents they had requested at the time of filing. What I just added was relevant documents, but not anything that could have been the reason for them delaying my application in the first place. It was just an additional unsolicited document.

Interesting. I filed September 2019 and I’m still waiting for my interview so I might try this. It can’t hurt. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

@JFH, let us know how it goes. I am tired of calling and emailing USCIS already.  Anyway, you case is 10 months earlier than mine. Maybe you will get something.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

4 hours ago, JFH said:

Interesting. I filed September 2019 and I’m still waiting for my interview so I might try this. It can’t hurt. 

Nope. It can't hurt.

As I said, it could be a real coincidence, but seriously after completing my biometrics in mid february and hearing nothing, then my estimated dates disappearing in August, then as you can see below, I attached the unsolicited (but pertinent and relevant) document on November 30th, and only 3 days later, December 3rd, I have my interview scheduled and the actual interview letter in my file who knows maybe something got triggered. It can't hurt.

Note: I put the red over the name of the file I attached because it includes my name in the title, but below it you have the date it was added (November 30th, 2020)

image.png.b1171c15c06566c09276da4c1e0d6060.png

My mother applied in January 2020. Got her biometrics done. In February she made a trip outside US but that is not in the application because she applied in Jan (month before the trip). In the documents tab she uploaded all her previous plane tickets for outside trips. I know she has to be make the interviewer aware about the trip to update it during interview but she is not scheduled yet.

Should she try uploading her 2020 trip ticket also in the documents tab? Would it hurt? 

54 minutes ago, lobo2000 said:

My mother applied in January 2020. Got her biometrics done. In February she made a trip outside US but that is not in the application because she applied in Jan (month before the trip). In the documents tab she uploaded all her previous plane tickets for outside trips. I know she has to be make the interviewer aware about the trip to update it during interview but she is not scheduled yet.

Should she try uploading her 2020 trip ticket also in the documents tab? Would it hurt? 

It won’t hurt.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

5 hours ago, lobo2000 said:

I am not sure. As long as it is allowed by USCIS to travel after application and it isn't a touchy subject, then she can always give it a try. I say this because I wouldn't want to give advice and then someone adds something that may trigger an RFE and request for additional explanation of the document added. If somewhere on uscis it is written that if an applicant travels after applying they must inform uscis online then yes go ahead, but if they don't say it but your mom uploads it, and then they send an RFE with questions such as: why did she travel, who did she meet there, was it a country on the covid list, did she quarantine, did she take a covid test... you see how bad I would feel?

I personally just added some additional financial documents up front. When applying, since I am a LPR more than 5 years (almost 15), those documents are not required to be submitted, but it helps with the good moral character thing, thus it's pertinent, so I just added that. I was just trying to "bump" my case more than submit a document that was a gamechanger. As long as it's pertinent. For example don't just add a picture of her when she was a teen or a transcript of her grades when she was in middle school...

Just make sure it isn't something that can trigger follow up questions that may cause the adverse effect of what you are trying to achieve (RFE). 

But either way, if not now, at the interview itself whenever it comes you SHOULD mention that she traveled in February, because the interviewer already would know that, and her passport will show it too.

Edited by ThaOne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I doubt there’s a link however like said anything that takes a mere five minutes and can’t hurt your application is definitely worth a shot! 

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Other Country: Kuwait
Timeline
18 hours ago, ThaOne said:

I filed January 31st, 2020 and did my bio mid February (before the lockdown). My completion date was September and estimated wait time was August. Things stayed the same till the wait time winded down to 4 days then I got the "We are taking longer..." message but the completion remained September. Then in September the Completion estimated date also went away. So since early August really I had passed the wait time and there was no news (that's 4 months). I didn't bother calling uscis, because I knew it would be a generic response.

But November 30th I decided to try something. I figured what if I added a document to myUSCIS? Would that act like a "bump" in a thread? Since I have seen some people who filed after me, somehow get done, maybe if I added something to my file, it would trigger something and maybe remind USCIS that I actually still exist and am waiting. So I added a document to my file online in the documents section (a pdf) on November 30th. Three days later I received in my documents section the interview letter with an interview scheduled for next month.

I am not saying with certainty that this is what did the trick and triggered something in their system and they realized that they were "behind" in my case and I was still waiting, but this would be quite a very big coincidence if that wasn't the case. 4 months of nothing then only 3 days after I add something to my file I get my appointment?

It's worth a try. If you want to give it a go just add anything else you believe to be relevant that you hadn't already submitted (i.e irs documents, w2s, bank statements...).

Note: I have been a LPR almost 15 years so I filed under the 5 year rule, and had submitted all the documents they had requested at the time of filing. What I just added was relevant documents, but not anything that could have been the reason for them delaying my application in the first place. It was just an additional unsolicited document.

no pain no gain, i will try this way anyway,,cross finger hehe,,anyway,,which state do you live in ?

Spoiler

2009 = started to learn for DV visa

2010 = missed the chance, due to stay in the jungle,,seriously :cry:

2011 = missed the chance, due to work activity, too busy :crying:

2012 = started to learn again, and tried to apply DV visa, but finally not selected, and realize that i put with wrong background picture. failed to understand the requirement. :oops:

Spoiler

01/10/2013 = applied for DV visa, with fully sure that picture is exactly same what website asked.

01/05/2014 = website was down due to high traffic

03/05/2014 = check for DV winner, finally it shows congratulation, you have been selected for,,,,

26/07/2014 = submitted form DS 260.

15/08/2014 = got 2nd letter notification

27/09/2014 = medical check up done

15/10/2014 = got interview with US embassy, but case is pending

09/11/2014 = resubmit additional document

10/12/2014 = got email from US embassy to hand over all the passport

11/12/2014 = DV visa granted and printed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------.............................

Spoiler

15/01/2015 = paid for immigration fee

16/03/2015 = landed safety in USA, POE = los angeles (LA)

31/03/2015=went back to home country

26/05/2015=come back to LA without plastic GC

28/05/2015=visited in person to SSA office, they claimed that SSN was sent already by immigration, SSA office made for replacement

04/06/2015=SSN in hand

09/06/2015=make ID

09/07/2015= GC in hand for 10 years 

.................................................................................................................

01/30/2020= Submit N400

01/31/2020=NOA1

02/07/2020= Got letter for Bio metric finger print 

02/20/2020= appointment for finger print (nice date)

01/14/2021= got notification for set up interview,,hiks hiks don't know when ?

02/24/2021 = interview date and pass 

02/24/2021 : checked my USCIS account and it said Oath ceremony notice was mailed to my address. 

03/26/2021 : the oath ceremony is done 😁😁 and got a certificate of us naturalization, 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have uploaded documents several times since I filed in May, makes zero difference. Not even a bio appointment.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

2 hours ago, Scandi said:

I have uploaded documents several times since I filed in May, makes zero difference. Not even a bio appointment.

As I said, it could all be coincidental that for months nothing happened then 3 days after I did that I had my interview notice. It took me 1 minute to add that. It was relevant so I didn't waste my time. I don't profess and never have professed to know with definite certainty how life works like you do. But as you say, if something doesn't work for YOU then it must be clear that it can never work for anyone else. I was just trying to see if maybe it wasn't a coincidence maybe someone other than you could "waste 1 minute of their lives" and try something completely harmless that you never know may help. But you settled that for all of us and humanity as a whole: It doesn't work!. Either way I got my appointment, so what do I care?

Plus you filed only in May of 2020 during the lockdown way down the line when most of the people in your case didn't even have a bio, and responding to someone who clearly stated that it could be coincidental/luck and filed since January and was referring to Interviews and not bios? 

Edited by ThaOne

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok, Monday (1/11/2021) I uploaded a document to try this method described in this thread (uploaded my dl with new address), and got bio reuse notice on 1/13/2021. So sure if that really worked or just coincidentally happened... But thank you @ThaOne for sharing this!!!

Edited by Outsider

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Outsider said:

So not sure***

@millefleur have you tried this?

Have not tried it yet, but maybe I will this week!

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.