JoshandSarah

how to work and/or study when arriving on K1

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

With a K1 Visa am I better off getting a work permit with a I-765 once I arrive or just adjusting status? what is the quickest way to be able to go to college or work??

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

This is the disadvantage of the K-1, going to college or working quickly is not an option.  A K-1 is a non-immigrant visa so there are several limitations.  

After you marry and file for AOS, it can take 6-8 months for you to get an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).  Once you have your EAD, then you can legally work.

To go to college, you will need to contact the school.  They can tell you what status is required in order for you to enroll.  

19 minutes ago, JoshandSarah said:

we've already filed our K1 back on October 21st though =/ 

Losing the cost of that vs possibly waiting 6 months to work after entering the US? I know what I’d do... assuming marriage is not a big logistical issue right now, which for some of course it might be.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and YOur New Life, from Work Visas - the OP is looking ahead after arrival on a K1~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You posted in the wrong forum. I moved it :) 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

10 hours ago, JoshandSarah said:

With a K1 Visa am I better off getting a work permit with a I-765 once I arrive

If you apply for an EAD prior to getting married it would only be valid for 90 days from entry.   It is taking well over 90 days to process so that would be a waste of money.

or just adjusting status?

This isn't a fast option either. You have to marry, get the marriage certificate, file for the green card (AOS) and EAD. Add all those time together and you are probably at 5 to 9 months.

what is the quickest way to be able to go to college

Generally you will have to pay the higher "Out of State" tuition for the first year you are in country.

or work??

You have picked the wrong visa if this is your intention(s).  And is New Zealand even processing K1s at this time?  If not there is a backlog at the NVC since March.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

51 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

If you apply for an EAD prior to getting married it would only be valid for 90 days from entry.   It is taking well over 90 days to process so that would be a waste of money.

This isn't a fast option either. You have to marry, get the marriage certificate, file for the green card (AOS) and EAD. Add all those time together and you are probably at 5 to 9 months.

Generally you will have to pay the higher "Out of State" tuition for the first year you are in country.

You have picked the wrong visa if this is your intention(s).  And is New Zealand even processing K1s at this time?  If not there is a backlog at the NVC since March.

^^ all this is why it would make sense to me to swallow the lost cost of the k1 and marry and file CR1 instead, especially as k1 was only filed a few weeks ago and it’s not like months of waiting down the drain. We have so many K1s here who say “we should have filed CR1 instead”.... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Most schools will let you enroll. When you arrive get your SS card first thing, and a state ID card. Then go to apply at your school using your state ID to show you are a resident of the state you live in. This will avoid the expensive non citizen or out of state resident tuition costs. Worked out for my wife who came on a K1. Working is as others have said 7-8 months from filing the I485.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I understand what people here are saying however.... we are not married and won’t be able to until we meet again, we are not in the same country, I’ve researched this well, I just wondered the quickest way to be able to study or work with the visa we have already applied with. 

thanks 🙏 

1 hour ago, JoshandSarah said:

I understand what people here are saying however.... we are not married and won’t be able to until we meet again, we are not in the same country, I’ve researched this well, I just wondered the quickest way to be able to study or work with the visa we have already applied with. 

thanks 🙏 

I understand what you are asking. Unfortunately, there is no quickest way. You submit your AOS/EAD and wait.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.