itscarly

Green Card was approved in 3 months, my AOS story

60 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, poohdakz said:

Hi! Your post was really helpful. I'm almost ready to file I-130 and I-485. I do have a question. When you filed yours, did out the I-130 and I-485 in a separate envelope?  

Yes, all the forms were in different envelopes. I followed this blog  https://www.sweetbeginningusa.com/2019/02/diy-i-485-adjustment-of-status-2019.html?m=1

then FedEx put it all in a bag and sent it

4740E25D-6860-4EE0-8E65-3F640EA260E8.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, itscarly said:

Yes, all the forms were in different envelopes. I followed this blog  https://www.sweetbeginningusa.com/2019/02/diy-i-485-adjustment-of-status-2019.html?m=1

then FedEx put it all in a bag and sent it

4740E25D-6860-4EE0-8E65-3F640EA260E8.jpeg

Fellow Argentinian here too:) approved in 6 months with interview waived. Came here to say I also used this blog!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I used your post as a guide to start - so organized all my paperwork on the same way. 

Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

• 5/1/2021 Sent package to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx
  • 5/4/2021 Package delivered
  • 5/21/2021 Received text/email messages with case numbers
  • 5/22/2021 Checks cashed
  • 5/28/2021 NOA letters on mailbox - PD is 5/4
  • 7/02/2021 RFE letter in mailbox
  • 7/23/2021 Bio letter in mailbox - Bio scheduled for 8/9/2021
  • 7/29/2021 USCIS received response to RFE
  • 8/09/2021 Bio appt + I-693 Notice in mailbox same day

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
On 10/5/2020 at 12:40 AM, itscarly said:

We didn’t have any assets or co sponsor, we just sent what we had: his tax return and his recent pay stubs. He lost his job in March and got it back mid June (Pandemic related). So we sent December, January, February and March pay stubs with the original application.

For our interview we had new pay stubs from July, August and September, and a letter of employment but the officer didn’t ask for them. He did ask my husband what his current job was but that’s it. 

Hi Carly, thanks for sharing your experience!

I have a similar question about the income.

As you stated, when you sent out you application: no any assets or joint sponsor, both of you were unemployed & "He did have a part time job but that didn't make enough to support me at that time and he didn't file for unemployment". I am a little confused here. How much did you write in the box of form I-864 "my current individual annual income is:"? Was the number above or below the 125% of poverty line?

I have a very similar situation as yours, this would help a lot~

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2020 at 2:40 PM, itscarly said:

Hi! I used a lot of vj information to filed for aos and I wanted to share with you my experience and my aos package.

I'm from Argentina and I came to America in November with a J1 visa (summer work travel program), after dating my husband for a year, we got married on May 7th. According to my visa, I had to go back home before June 30th and even though I married a US citizen and I knew if I overstayed it was going to be waived, I was still so worried that I filed for AoS asap (June 19th).

A few things I'm going to say before I talk about my application is that I think 50% was pure luck, it was filing at the right time and date. The other 50% making sure nothing in my application could make the officer doubt and ask for more information or evidence. I made sure everything was disclosed and explained, it must have been either a pain in the ### or a blessing for whoever that took my case cause it was 400 pages long lol. Also the fact that my office was Reno helped a lot, I went twice for biometrics and interview and there was no one, the parking lot was empty, so they're pretty low on cases there. I didn't get help from a lawyer 'cause I considered my case was simple, it wasn't worth the money, we were on lockdown so I didn't have much else to do but getting obsessed with sending the perfect application, visiting hundreds of VJs topics and watching youtube videos. 

Another thing, specifically for I130 is that I was scared because my husband and I are in our early 20s, we got married a year after meeting each other, 7 months out of those 12 we were in a long distance relationship, he still lived with his parents, we both had part time jobs, we don't own anything, so we had to prove our love by telling them our story. How meant to be we are, how we clicked instantly, how we talked 3 hours a day every day, how I told him he could come to visit me and the next day he went to get his passport and bought flight tickets to see me, how we can't imagine being away from each other, that we did it for 7 months and we don't want to do it ever again, how we have plans for the future, etc. Our bonafide evidence was full of stories and we attached them with tickets, passes, reservations, photos, invitations. By the time of the interview we did gather a lot of primary evidence and the officer that interviewed us was more than pleased.

This was my package main cover letter

I had to explain a few things when I filed:

1. During a road trip all my forms of identification were stolen, so I lost my passport with my visa stamp and my country ids. Thankfully, I was able to get an emergency passport and sent that in the package with an explanation of what happened and secondary proof that I was here legally such as letters from my sponsors, employers, job reviews and flight tickets.

2. I was given an extension of my visa because of the pandemic, so I sent a letter from my sponsor that explains the extension and extra information on why I was given this extension (the borders of my country were closed and all my flights were canceled)

3. My husband was a dependent of him mom for 2017 tax returns so we wrote a letter that his mom signed.

4. I944 was intense haha, we couldn't get IRS transcripts before sending the application because at that time IRS offices were closed, so we sent the biggest WE TRIED letter, where we stated that we received no answer from IRS so we were going to send 1040s and W2s.

5. We didn't have a credit score or report because none of us has credit cars, loans, car, leases, anything. We're still pretty young and we haven't thought all that out yet (we should soon). So we explained that, we sent transunion letter saying we didn't have any of that, screenshots of the experian website saying they couldn't find me and I tried to get a credit card online and I didn't qualified.

6. For Education, I did an evaluation of my college transcripts with a NACES authorized agency (IEE), also I graduated from college but I came to America before i could sign my diploma so I don't have my diploma with me and that's the way I can prove I graduated, what I sent to prove I graduated was a certified letter by my college that stated that I did in fact finish college. The evaluation agency wrote that my degree was incomplete because they didn't accept the certified letter but I sent everything in my I944, cause why not.

7.I didn't send proof I know how to speak Spanish because that's my native language and in my transcripts from school we don't call Spanish classes that, we call them Language classes. I wrote a letter swearing I know Spanish and that's it.

When I filed I was afraid that my husband's tax return were going to look bad, because in 2019 he made a little over the percentage he had to make to sponsor me, in 2018 he made half of that percentage and in 2017 he was a minor and was a dependent of his mom. Still I sent all that information because if I disclosed it first it means I'm ahead of any questions they can ask us. That's just my mindset, I know a lot of people believe it's better to just put the last tax return information and that's fine. Also when we filed, my husband was unemployed and so was I (pandemic related), so we sent his last pay stubs and that's all. (He did have a part time job but that didn't make enough to support me at that time and he didn't file for unemployment)

Another thing is that (PLEASE DONT DO IT) I worked in the past unauthorized, this was way before I met my husband and I didn't think of the consequences, I had no idea at some point it could come back to bite me. So, I disclosed it, I said from what date to what date and in I485 I said yes to working unauthorized and violating the terms of conditions of my nonimmigrant status.

So this was my timeline

and here's what I sent the June 2020 filers group and hour after the interview:

And that's it. Right now, I have a job offer and I'm waiting for my green card to arrive. I'm excited about the winter, being with my husband without having to think of visas, uscis, forms, is great. I did get only the conditional green card, so in 2 years I'll have to do this again hahah.

I hope this long post helps you, please let me know if you have any questions, this was my experience, probably had a few mistakes, it's not perfect, I was just very lucky this process went as smoothly as it did. Thank you thank you thank you VJ members for answering all my questions and giving me so much information!

I ran into this post on a different thread. I just wanted to say congratulations. You did an excellent job providing proof of evidence of bona fide marriage. You are both young and just starting your life together. That can often times limit the amount of evidence that you may be able to provide. 

So often people just say "oh we are young and we do not own anything. So we will just show up. Our marriage is real. It should be fine" Well, being able to show by preponderance of evidence is key. 

Great job! Congrats!

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 1:38 PM, itscarly said:

Last update:

June 19: sent AoS package.

June 22: AoS in Chicago lockbox. (Priority Date)

July 13: received NOA letters.

July 28: received biometrics appointment letter.

August 13: biometrics appointment.

August 13: The fingerprints relating to your Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, were taken.

August 19: We are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, for an interview.

August 21: We scheduled an interview for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

September 25: Interview

September 25: We ordered your new card.

September 28: Case was approved (I130)

September 28: We approved your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

September 29: We received a I-797 NOA: Approval Notice in the mail dated 09/25/2020 for I-130 and I-485.

September 29: We mailed your new card your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, directly to the address you gave us.

September 30: The Post Office picked up mail containing your new card.

October 2: card was delivered to me by The Post Office.

and now I have the card on my hand! my husband is joining the navy full time soon so hopefully that'll help our next paperworks (i751 and/or naturalization). officially done for now though.

Hi Carly, My field office is also in Reno NV. Below is my timeline which is kind of like similar to yours.

03/11/2021 - filed I-130 online this is also my priority date.

03/26/2021 - Concurrently filed I-485, I-765 and I-131 and NBC processed my application.

05/06/2021 - Payment was cashed for AOS.

05/11/2021 - Received NOA1

06/19/2021 - Received Biometrics appointment letter

07/09/2021 - Biometrics taken

07/11/2021 - Received I-693 Deficiency notice

07/19/2021 - Case ready to schedule interview for I-485.

Right now I am still waiting for the notice letter on when will be my interview before I schedule my medical appointment. It's totally surprising how Reno FO process applications pretty fast.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Congrats OP on getting approved so quickly.

While it's heartwarming and almost encouraging to hear stories like this. I also find it very unfair for those who sent it months before and that are still waiting for it over a year later. Nothing against you, but the system is so flawed. Why would they favor a case 3 months old over some cases that are over a year old? To me it's all about the person who opens your file and their mood that day.

I never understood why they're processing paper files instead of web ones. That would be so much easier to keep a proper order on the first come first serve basis and not loosing pages or entire files. It's easy to be worried that they've lost your entire package in between two desks when you don't hear anything for months. And now we can't even file a service request before at least the end of the year because they have increased their minimum date for case inquiry by months.. Literally months, as if they have been hibernating the whole time and they woke up and updated their time frame.

I know some might say that it depends on the field office but I don't buy that either since I met people in person in Austin that have filed the same month than us and that have received their GC months ago.

Last time I called USCIS they told me that our case was still at the NBC even after receiving the combo EAD 8 months ago. 

I mean c'mon transfer the file! Put a little stamp on it and mail it.

These guys at USCIS..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ally&Axel said:

While it's heartwarming and almost encouraging to hear stories like this. I also find it very unfair for those who sent it months before and that are still waiting for it over a year later. Nothing against you, but the system is so flawed. Why would they favor a case 3 months old over some cases that are over a year old? To me it's all about the person who opens your file and their mood that day.

I never understood why they're processing paper files instead of web ones. That would be so much easier to keep a proper order on the first come first serve basis and not loosing pages or entire files. It's easy to be worried that they've lost your entire package in between two desks when you don't hear anything for months. And now we can't even file a service request before at least the end of the year because they have increased their minimum date for case inquiry by months.. Literally months, as if they have been hibernating the whole time and they woke up and updated their time frame.

I know some might say that it depends on the field office but I don't buy that either since I met people in person in Austin that have filed the same month than us and that have received their GC months ago.

Last time I called USCIS they told me that our case was still at the NBC even after receiving the combo EAD 8 months ago. 

These guys at USCIS..

I agree that it does not depend on the FO a lot of the time. Lots of holdups happen at NBC. Of course, once they send it to the FO for scheduling be it for biometrics or interview, it depends on how busy the FO is. Other than that you are at the mercy of whose desk you end up on at NBC and I absolutely feel your frustration about the inconsistency in processing times. It is impossible to plan around, causes great anxiety and lost opportunities to applicants, and desperately needs reform.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/23/2021 at 5:46 AM, Ally&Axel said:

These guys at USCIS..

This whole thread gave me hope back in April when I first started my research in this long journey. The whole VJ community has been really helpful. I was a “lurker” and read as much as I could from April to July when I finally filed.

I feel your frustration and hopefully you will get yours soon. It feels like this whole thing is based on luck. For example, I felt that I won the “lottery” when they sent my I-130 and I-131 to the service center that has the shortest processing time. However, my work permit went to the SC that has one of the longest processing times not to mention my AOS is at Reno with 13.5 to 27.5 months wait. I just feel fortunate that I can still work for my Canadian employer while in the US. I just need my I-131 as I need to attend meetings back home so I still feel “lucky” that my I-131 went to the SC that has the fastest processing time.

Good luck to all!

35 minutes ago, chancecody said:

This whole thread gave me hope back in April when I first started my research in this long journey. The whole VJ community has been really helpful. I was a “lurker” and read as much as I could from April to July when I finally filed.

I feel your frustration and hopefully you will get yours soon. It feels like this whole thing is based on luck. For example, I felt that I won the “lottery” when they sent my I-130 and I-131 to the service center that has the shortest processing time. However, my work permit went to the SC that has one of the longest processing times not to mention my AOS is at Reno with 13.5 to 27.5 months wait. I just feel fortunate that I can still work for my Canadian employer while in the US. I just need my I-131 as I need to attend meetings back home so I still feel “lucky” that my I-131 went to the SC that has the fastest processing time.

Good luck to all!

3 of my friends and me did our AOS in Reno and got our green cards in 3-8 months, 2 of them even received RFEs. I wish you the best luck, I really think this field office is overall pretty fast!

Timeline
20 minutes ago, itscarly said:

3 of my friends and me did our AOS in Reno and got our green cards in 3-8 months, 2 of them even received RFEs. I wish you the best luck, I really think this field office is overall pretty fast!

Thanks itscarly! I wanted to thank you for creating this thread to share your experience as it was seriously very helpful to me. You have helped many. I read everything here and followed all the tips. It also gave me hope and positivity. Honestly this thread should be on top as sticky to help more people.

The other thing that I did was read the official USCIS Policy Manual online in its entirety to ensure that I understood what’s required and the process in my case to avoid any RFEs.

Thanks for your note about Reno. This is very encouraging 🙂

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Timeline

Just for everyone's info, every case is different. This posting in my early days gave me hope. My Field Office is Reno and my approval took 17 months. My Greencard just got approved now. Interview was waived.

For anyone just starting the process, continue to be hopeful as each case is different. I read USCIS is approving the newer cases versus the old case. At the end of the day, your turn will come and you will be approved. Never lose hope and continue to be positive in your journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
19 minutes ago, chancecody said:

Just for everyone's info, every case is different. This posting in my early days gave me hope. My Field Office is Reno and my approval took 17 months. My Greencard just got approved now. Interview was waived.

For anyone just starting the process, continue to be hopeful as each case is different. I read USCIS is approving the newer cases versus the old case. At the end of the day, your turn will come and you will be approved. Never lose hope and continue to be positive in your journey.

Thank you for reminding applicants of this. Every single case is different, every officer is different, and a lot of it has to do with country of origin too. I am a ROC applicant. There is not an "official" rule, but I have seen more and more fast approval cases from applicants from countries that have been affected by natural disasters, as it is explained in this memorandum

It would not make much sense that they expedite people with ROC in those circumstances, because we already have a green card. But my theory is that some less experienced officers treat all applicants from those countries as if they were meant to be expedited. Hope it makes sense.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.