Silva Francine

Visa K1 now (October) or Wait?

70 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Silva Francine said:

We decided that we will follow the path of Cr1, which may be longer, but better.  We will go to Mexico, my question is whether I will have to register the marriage certificate first in Brazil and then my fiance will enter the l-130 because the certificate will be from Mexico, or can I send the Mexico marriage certificate in the Cr1 petition? Someone here with a similar experience who can help me?!

You are not required to register the marriage in Brazil in order to file the I-130 petition.  However, you will need to register it if you would like your Brazilian civil documents to reflect your married status.  Please check with the Brazilian embassy in Mexico if you need to do this in person, so you can take care of it before you leave Mexico.

http://www.itamaraty.gov.br/en/perguntas-frequentes-artigos/19385-assistance-to-brazilians-abroad#II19

In any case, the Brazilian civil registration is independent of the I-130 process.  You don't need to delay filing the petition.  Once you get the marriage certificate from Mexico, file the I-130.  If the marriage certificate is not bilingual, make sure to include the English translation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

You are not required to register the marriage in Brazil in order to file the I-130 petition.  However, you will need to register it if you would like your Brazilian civil documents to reflect your married status.  Please check with the Brazilian embassy in Mexico if you need to do this in person, so you can take care of it before you leave Mexico.

http://www.itamaraty.gov.br/en/perguntas-frequentes-artigos/19385-assistance-to-brazilians-abroad#II19

In any case, the Brazilian civil registration is independent of the I-130 process.  You don't need to delay filing the petition.  Once you get the marriage certificate from Mexico, file the I-130.  If the marriage certificate is not bilingual, make sure to include the English translation.

Thank you for your information, I'll make sure everything is right!! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
On 9/21/2020 at 8:17 AM, Silva Francine said:

Hi everyone do you think it's a good idea to file my K1 petition now in October?  I am totally confused because there is no information about anything, and looking here, not even the biometrics they are taking, since my fiance is in the USA and I in Brazil and I don't have any other type of visa at the moment!  i'm afraid to be too late and take too long to get into the usa. Do you believe that processing will take more than 9 months now?

We went for a cr1. We got married in my husbands country. It’s a very long process since Covid hit. I’m going on 17 months not seeing my husband and still there is no light at the end of this long ### tunnel. I’d say fill it in soon enough cuz if you wait it will be a longer drawl out process. It’s very painful process. Immigration does not care about us. Good luck. 

Edited by Aimstir

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 9/22/2020 at 9:07 AM, Gomast said:

EAD wait time of up to 37 months. I’ve been waiting since September 2019...

@Gomast Oh my goodness 37 months is incomprehensible to think about!

Even from September 2019 is a such a long time to be waiting. You would hope that (if everything went smoothly) you would at least AOS and get full work rights by then?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline
On 10/5/2020 at 12:54 PM, jesuschavez127 said:

the sooner you get in line the better.

Succinctly put!

The clock doesn't start ticking until the embassy can do the interview; then you need to follow through in a timely manner.  Until then it's to your advantage to get as close to the beginning of the queue as possible.

My friend married a Thai wife and they filed their CR-1 over a year ago  As the file was en route from NVC to the embassy in Bangkok around Feb/Mar, everything shut down due to coronavirus.  After a 7-8 month hiatus, she finally got her interview & visa last week.  Now they just have to figure out how to get her to the U.S.

Get in line.  It will only take longer if you don't.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 9/29/2020 at 7:08 AM, Silva Francine said:

We decided that we will follow the path of Cr1, which may be longer, but better.  We will go to Mexico, my question is whether I will have to register the marriage certificate first in Brazil and then my fiance will enter the l-130 because the certificate will be from Mexico, or can I send the Mexico marriage certificate in the Cr1 petition? Someone here with a similar experience who can help me?!

On 9/29/2020 at 7:08 AM, Silva Francine said:

You can send your Mexican marriage certificate, (as long  all the legal registration and stamps with the Mexican authorities (Registry) are on the document, no need to send the certificate registered at the Brazilian registry. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.