Jump to content

65 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone do you think it's a good idea to file my K1 petition now in October?  I am totally confused because there is no information about anything, and looking here, not even the biometrics they are taking, since my fiance is in the USA and I in Brazil and I don't have any other type of visa at the moment!  i'm afraid to be too late and take too long to get into the usa. Do you believe that processing will take more than 9 months now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Silva Francine said:

Hi everyone do you think it's a good idea to file my K1 petition now in October?  I am totally confused because there is no information about anything, and looking here, not even the biometrics they are taking, since my fiance is in the USA and I in Brazil and I don't have any other type of visa at the moment!  i'm afraid to be too late and take too long to get into the usa. Do you believe that processing will take more than 9 months now?

Nobody knows how long to process because they have not done interviews since March and the length of the interview queue is getting longer each day until they do restart interviews 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Silva Francine said:

Hi everyone do you think it's a good idea to file my K1 petition now in October?  I am totally confused because there is no information about anything, and looking here, not even the biometrics they are taking, since my fiance is in the USA and I in Brazil and I don't have any other type of visa at the moment!  i'm afraid to be too late and take too long to get into the usa. Do you believe that processing will take more than 9 months now?

 

It's too early to be worrying about biometrics for Adjustment of Status from K1.  Have your fiance file the K1 petition first.  Check out the K1 forum where there is lots and lots of information about filing the petition --

 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/80-k-1-fiancee-visa-process-amp-procedures/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
30 minutes ago, J&A1234 said:

Waiting to file won’t make anything faster. The faster you file, the faster you get your place in line. Also nobody knows what the processing time will be, but unfortunately it’s safe to assume there will be delays.

Yes, I believe that the best will be to start and wait! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

 

It's too early to be worrying about biometrics for Adjustment of Status from K1.  Have your fiance file the K1 petition first.  Check out the K1 forum where there is lots and lots of information about filing the petition --

 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/80-k-1-fiancee-visa-process-amp-procedures/

 

Yes we are finishing filling out the forms and documentation, thanks for this information!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Waiting to file gains nothing....except more time in the queue.

My fiance and I were in doubt, because we don't know if the call centers are analyzing the new petitions, we will try to send and see if we received at least NOA1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Silva Francine said:

My fiance and I were in doubt, because we don't know if the call centers are analyzing the new petitions, we will try to send and see if we received at least NOA1 

USCIS has never stopped processing petitions.  But there is certainly a huge backlog at NVC.


"What I am to be, I am now becoming" - Ben Franklin         

 

      :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Have you considered a CR-1 instead of a K-1?

 

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Possibly Slightly faster arrival in the US     
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire
  

CR-1
    Possibly Slightly slower arrival in the US 

    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �


 

This is new for me, I will research about it, thank you so much for this information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Have you considered a CR-1 instead of a K-1?

 

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Possibly Slightly faster arrival in the US     
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire
  

CR-1
    Possibly Slightly slower arrival in the US 

    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �


 

totally agree this is now the best way to go if you can meet and marry as there are all the above advantages plus the cost of the AOS is going up to over $2000 over October 1st 

and although K1's are now getting approved in a few embassies the CR1 spouse seems(and i say seems to me) to have priority

wishing you the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

 

It's too early to be worrying about biometrics for Adjustment of Status from K1.  Have your fiance file the K1 petition first.  Check out the K1 forum where there is lots and lots of information about filing the petition --

 

She is not referring to AOS, Rio has a separate fingerprint appointment 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...