Silva Francine

Visa K1 now (October) or Wait?

70 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Silva Francine said:

i'm afraid to be too late and take too long to get into the usa. Do you believe that processing will take more than 9 months now?

Any visa you try for will take >9 months, because there is a huge backlog that is only getting bigger.  You're probably looking at 18 mo-2 years at least, depending on what happens with the proclamation and your particular consulate.

Just now, HRQX said:

OP is referring to the following that is done way later at embassy step:

Kind of moot, if the consulate is closed anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

The USC is the one who would submit the petition.  The petition is about the USC petitioner.

Not sure what you mean by 'not even the biometrics they are taking'?

Sorry I was not so clear, I meant that some people have their petition approved but they have no more answers about the progress of the visa.  I haven't sent it yet because my fiance and I are in doubt, if that would be the best way or not, I know that everything will be delayed and delayed, but we wanted more certainty of what would be better

1 minute ago, HRQX said:

CR-1 isn't affected by Brazil proclamation. Rio has issued a few IR-1/CR-1 visas in recent months. OP is open to the possibility of marriage and starting CR-1 process.

I realize that.  My take on this thread is that OP is still at the stage of considering both options.  One of them is affected by the proclamation.

Neither is fast.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Silva Francine said:

Sorry I was not so clear, I meant that some people have their petition approved but they have no more answers about the progress of the visa.  I haven't sent it yet because my fiance and I are in doubt, if that would be the best way or not, I know that everything will be delayed and delayed, but we wanted more certainty of what would be better

CR1 is considerably the better way to go

and maybe traveling to Mexico for marriage since USC is in California and you in Brazil could be a marriage plan unless USC can fly and marry there

good luck in all this

Timeline
21 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

CR1 is considerably the better way to go

and maybe traveling to Mexico for marriage since USC is in California and you in Brazil could be a marriage plan unless USC can fly and marry there

good luck in all this

Would a wedding in Mexico be better?  Brazil is extremely bureaucratic to marry foreigners

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, if marriage is possible then do the CR1, but if it's not possible anytime soon then you might as well get started with some kind of process to be together, and file for the K1. That's why I'm doing it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Silva Francine said:

Would a wedding in Mexico be better?  Brazil is extremely bureaucratic to marry foreigners

2 foreigners can marry in Mexico

much will depend on how long the 2 of you can be there

probably easier for the USC to find out how to do this and check the requirements for both of you

tourist visa is needed 

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/getting-married-in-mexico-guide

My fiancé and I were in a similar situation, we had everything for K1 but considered going CR1 because of its benefits, we even lost some time waiting for a divorce certificate to apostille and traduce and get married in Dominican Republic. When my fiance was asking for some days off At work to come they said he must have 6 months working before he could get days off, He only had 2 months, it means we would have to wait until January. Then we decided going K1 and wait.

Edited by Adamaris
Explain better.

2 hours ago, Silva Francine said:

Yes this is good, but I believe that for that I should have a valid visa

I went the CR1 route but originally the K1 for personal reasons. I'm glad we changed and withdrew the K1 (this is not pandemic related). Yes it was hard to wait longer but I could get straight into my job when I moved, get my driving licence etc..... aso it's worth weighing up both options. Like others have said, it's down to the couple and their preference.

PS - I moved during the pandemic on 26th April and was exempt from the restrictions with an approved visa. This was before the stamp, I heard some countries are doing this to confirm exemption now. 

Good luck!!

wpid-1030ldr.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, Angela & Brendon said:

As somebody doing the K1, I would definitely go with the CR-1 route. With COVID there hasn't been much of a difference in waiting time for the two visas to be processed, and you will be given priority by the Embassies. 

I couldn't agree more! Unless there is a hindrance for you doing the CR1. K1 is going on over a year of waiting currently with no urgency in site for the consulates to clear the backlog. If you do the K1, prepare yourself for over a year wait and if it happens quicker u will be over the moon 😊

Edited by Empressdivine

Timeline
1 hour ago, Adamaris said:

My fiancé and I were in a similar situation, we had everything for K1 but considered going CR1 because of its benefits, we even lost some time waiting for a divorce certificate to apostille and traduce and get married in Dominican Republic. When my fiance was asking for some days off At work to come they said he must have 6 months working before he could get days off, He only had 2 months, it means we would have to wait until January. Then we decided going K1 and wait.

I understand, everything was complicated before, but now it got worse because of the corona virus, I hope that everything is right for you too !!

Timeline
28 minutes ago, bobjennyhitched said:

I went the CR1 route but originally the K1 for personal reasons. I'm glad we changed and withdrew the K1 (this is not pandemic related). Yes it was hard to wait longer but I could get straight into my job when I moved, get my driving licence etc..... aso it's worth weighing up both options. Like others have said, it's down to the couple and their preference.

PS - I moved during the pandemic on 26th April and was exempt from the restrictions with an approved visa. This was before the stamp, I heard some countries are doing this to confirm exemption now. 

Good luck!!

Glad it worked out for you!  and how long did your CR-1 process take?

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Empressdivine said:

I couldn't agree more! Unless there is a hindrance for you doing the CR1. K1 is going on over a year of waiting currently with no urgency in site for the consulates to clear the backlog. If you do the K1, prepare yourself for over a year wait and if it happens quicker u will be over the moon 😊

I understand, my fiance and I are going to look at the CR-1 that it would probably take a little longer before I can get in, but that maybe it works better

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.