Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hoffmaya said:

You can check the FAQ here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/edit

The section "COVD-19 Documents" provides useful info.

Tax Return Transcripts must be obtained directly from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. You can 
request them online or via mail. Visit the following web address for more information: 
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, M Brown said:

I have my interview coming up on Jan 20.  Can anyone tell me what type of IRS transcript I need to get, for which tax years and how to get it?  My wife is the US citizen so she needs to do it on her end and send it to me.  The tax returns and transcripts are the last documents on my list.  Thanks. 

You can get the tax transcripts here, either online or by mail: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 

The transcript type you want is called "Return Transcript" on the download page.

You need the most recent tax year. You have the option to submit the most recent 3 years of tax info with the I-864 (Affidavit of Support). People usually choose to do this if their income is close to the cutoff and the previous years show higher income or at least income that is consistently above the cutoff amount. So in that case you could bring the last 3 years of info. 

Hi everyone! I'm in the NVC stage and just submitted the IV and AOS forms. I edited my comment because I found my answer shortly after 🤣 if anyone would like to share, how long does it take to get your rcmp check from commissionaires? 

Edited by Dania A

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, Dania A said:

Hi everyone! I'm in the NVC stage and just submitted the IV and AOS forms. I edited my comment because I found my answer shortly after 🤣 if anyone would like to share, how long does it take to get your rcmp check from commissionaires? 

I think I got it within a week. I was surprised to receive it so quickly.

Hi everyone, sorry this may be a bit unrelated but I am curious how many of you U.S.C. petitioners live in Canada with the beneficiaries and demonstrated that you have "intent to reestablish domicile" at NVC stage instead of actually moving ahead of your spouse? Did you have any trouble in proving this? Any tips?

Edited by darth vader

3 hours ago, darth vader said:

Hi everyone, sorry this may be a bit unrelated but I am curious how many of you U.S.C. petitioners live in Canada with the beneficiaries and demonstrated that you have "intent to reestablish domicile" at NVC stage instead of actually moving ahead of your spouse? Did you have any trouble in proving this? Any tips?

Hi there, we have the exact same case. From your post, it seems like you are at the NVC stage at the moment. How long has the petitioner been living in Canada in your case? I can shed some light on our we got our case approved at NVC level. I am the u.s. citizen petitioner. My husband is Canadian. My son was born in Canada but this year we got my son his U S. Passport as well. I moved to Toronto with my husband after wedding 10 years ago. And then I convinced my husband to move back home closer to my family. To re establish domicile, you have to prove that you have taken concrete steps to make u.s. your permanent home again. I didn't have house or anything I own in the u.s. at the moment. But we did the following:

1) I resigned from my current employer in Canada. 

2) liquidated Canadian TFSA account and transferred amount to u.s. account. 

The above notes helped us prove to NVC that we have broken ties with Canada. 

Below are the things we did to reestablish domicile:

1) hire a real estate agent, we got a letter of engagement showing that we are in the process of looking to buy home in the u.s. 

2) start looking for work in the u.s. and attach emails or proof of correspondence with the employers in the U.S. 

3) correspondence showing school registration for the child of you have any. 

4) you can attach your voting record. 

We got dragged at the NVC stage for a while until our lawyer realized what was missing. We had to get a joint petitioner who is currently domiciled in the u.s. submitted all the join sponsor documents such as W2, tax transcripts, I 864 etc along with my documents proving re establishing domicile and that's when we got approved. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Abhikochar

3 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

1) I resigned from my current employer in Canada.

That is a big step given that right now NVC stage to interview is taking somewhere around 10 months. Are you OK with losing your income for such a long period? We would like to avoid this if possible.

4 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

We got dragged at the NVC stage for a while until our lawyer realized what was missing. We had to get a joint petitioner who is currently domiciled in the u.s. submitted all the join sponsor documents such as W2, tax transcripts, I 864 etc along with my documents proving re establishing domicile and that's when we got approved.

Were your assets not enough? We have way over the required assets but will have a hard time finding joint sponsor since the only folks we know are my in-laws who are retired. So curious to know if you got asked for the co-sponsor despite the assets?

8 minutes ago, darth vader said:

That is a big step given that right now NVC stage to interview is taking somewhere around 10 months. Are you OK with losing your income for such a long period? We would like to avoid this if possible.

Were your assets not enough? We have way over the required assets but will have a hard time finding joint sponsor since the only folks we know are my in-laws who are retired. So curious to know if you got asked for the co-sponsor despite the assets?

Honestly speaking, the petitioner living in Canada doesn't have to resign. With us gojng through covid, looking after little one and his nanny not coming it was hard for us with me working. So my husband and I thought it would be best for me to resign for now and take a bit of a break. So for us it worked out well. We should be receiving interview letter by Feb of all goes well. But you don't have to resign from Job in canada, and just get a joint sponsor and try to look for employment in u.s. and show to NVC that you are trying to re-establish domicile. 

No they don't look at your asset, at NVC stage, they were looking at the petitioners annual income. My income converted into USD was more than enough but since it was not from the u.s. source so I made my sister the joint sponsor. The criteria is for joint sponsor to be making above the minimum requirements. Think the minimum requirement is $88k usd somewhere around that. And I read about this. The joint sponsor doesn't even have to be an immediate family member. It could be cousin, family friend, friend anyone who you have a strong connection with and are ready to sign the I864 for you. 

Edited by Abhikochar

Hey everyone. My wife (Canadian) had DQ on June 4th. Looking at the spreadsheet, it's possible we get an interview letter this upcoming round in January, with an interview sometime in February. We have a complication: she's scheduled to take the Bar Exam online on February 23-24. It would wreak havoc with her studying/exam taking if the interview was anytime around then (travel from Edmonton to Vancouver for medical, travel to Montreal for interview, etc). 

Is it worth emailing the consulate explaining the situation and requesting that, if an interview was about to be scheduled, it be after her exam (so basically March)? Or would that potentially cause more problems? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

No they don't look at your asset

They actually do look at the petitioner (and intending immigrant)'s assets if put down on the i-864. That is what I was curious about - did you put your assets down or just decided to use a co-sponsor?

Just now, darth vader said:

They actually do look at the petitioner (and intending immigrant)'s assets if put down on the i-864. That is what I was curious about - did you put your assets down or just decided to use a co-sponsor?

To be honest, we went the co sponsor route since it was getting too much back and forth with NVC. Everytime we would send more documents for me, they kept on saying the petitioner is not domiciled in the u.s. you might want to check with your lawyer in the asset part as I am not sure. We showed our assets too. But to the NVC, they wanted to see tax documents and annual income for the petitioner who is domiciled in the u.s. basically income that is sourced in the u.s. Since when we move to the u.s., my spouse and I won't have the Canadian income anymore. So they were looking for annual income domiciled in the u.s. For us. 

5 minutes ago, VanniFucci said:

Hey everyone. My wife (Canadian) had DQ on June 4th. Looking at the spreadsheet, it's possible we get an interview letter this upcoming round in January, with an interview sometime in February. We have a complication: she's scheduled to take the Bar Exam online on February 23-24. It would wreak havoc with her studying/exam taking if the interview was anytime around then (travel from Edmonton to Vancouver for medical, travel to Montreal for interview, etc). 

Is it worth emailing the consulate explaining the situation and requesting that, if an interview was about to be scheduled, it be after her exam (so basically March)? Or would that potentially cause more problems? Thanks!

No harm in requesting that. In pre-corona era, what they used to do is to ask the folks to not appear for the interview and then later request rescheduling. But since (I hope) they are trying to catch-up with all delayed cases, perhaps best to let them know now, so they can just not schedule now, instead of wasting a spot by no-show. I would suggest contacting your wife's U.S. senator or congressman's office. They are very efficient in coordinating these things with embassies. Good luck!

Edited by darth vader

2 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

To be honest, we went the co sponsor route since it was getting too much back and forth with NVC. Everytime we would send more documents for me, they kept on saying the petitioner is not domiciled in the u.s. you might want to check with your lawyer in the asset part as I am not sure. We showed our assets too. But to the NVC, they wanted to see tax documents and annual income for the petitioner who is domiciled in the u.s. basically income that is sourced in the u.s. Since when we move to the u.s., my spouse and I won't have the Canadian income anymore. So they were looking for annual income domiciled in the u.s. For us. 

Interesting part about the back and forth with NVC.

1. How many times did you have to submit the documents before they finally accepted?

2. In the end, how long did it take for you to go from I-130 approval to DQ?

13 minutes ago, darth vader said:

No harm in requesting that. In pre-corona era, what they used to do is to ask the folks to not appear for the interview and then later request rescheduling. But since (I hope) they are trying to catch-up with all delayed cases, perhaps best to let them know now, so they can just not schedule now, instead of wasting a spot by no-show. I would suggest contacting your wife's U.S. senator or congressman's office. They are very efficient in coordinating these things with embassies. Good luck!

Interesting. How many times did you have to submit documents before they finally accepted

Edited by Abhikochar

3 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Interesting part about the back and forth with NVC.

1. How many times did you have to submit the documents before they finally accepted?

2. In the end, how long did it take for you to go from I-130 approval to DQ?

I accidentally posted in the other section.

Our papers would have been qualified in the first go (in march) if we had known about the joint sponsor route, which our lawyer missed. Our assets listed were way more than enough. But NVC got back to us first time end of March requesting for more documents for me. But they were not clear at first as to what more documents they needed. Just kept on saying petitioner not domiciled in the u.s. then finally I called NVC and was told that since I am not domiciled in the u.s., they need I-864 signed by someone who is domiciled in the u.s. then we finally got approved in july. you should consult your lawyer for this. But I am thinking if your in-laws in the u.s. have enough assets to show and if they are willing to sign the I-864 form and then you showing your assets which are sufficient, then that could help the case getting approved. In addition to showing the re establishing domicile on part of your spouse

Edited by Abhikochar

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.