Alex&Jen

Passport not stamped with the right stamp for work - CR1 visa

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

My husband entered into the U.S on Saturday, September 13th. His passport was stamped but I just found out it was not stamped with the stamp that allow for working.  Has this ever happened to anyone and any suggestions on how to fix this? He had a phone interview today for a job, but they can't continue with his employment due to not have the correct stamp to act as a temporary green card. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

My husband entered into the U.S on Saturday, September 13th. His passport was stamped but I just found out it was not stamped with the stamp that allow for working.  Has this ever happened to anyone and any suggestions on how to fix this? He had a phone interview today for a job, but they can't continue with his employment due to not have the correct stamp to act as a temporary green card. 

The stamp is good for a year and LPR can using this stamp to travel international while waiting for green card. Most employer not familiar with this stamp, so just wait until GC or SSN arrived. SSN come pretty quick.

Edited by H&T

34 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

There is not work stamp. The endorsement line of the visa says  / / /  @Jens79 beat me to it.

The visa is a green card for up to a year.   I've employed people with just the stamp.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

37 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

You are probably thinking of the old red or blue ADIT stamp.  It was eliminated a long time ago at the port of entry in favor of the endorsement on the Lincoln Foil Visa.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

I started work here with that stamp. Started working on Jan 3,2017. Plastic green card did not arrive until the end of February. No issue at all. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jens79 said:

It is the correct stamp. The entry stamp looks exactly the same as no matter what visa you enter on. It's just the standard stamp. When I entered on my CR1 visa the border officer wrote my visa number on the stamp, right under the date. The important part is what says on the lower part on the CR1 visa: "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year."

You can only enter with a CR1 visa one time. Once you enter, the visa, in combination with the entry stamp, becomes a document proving that you have LPR (green card)-status. The visa, with the entry stamp, is all you need to prove your green card status. It's good for work, travel, getting a driver license or anything you can do with a green card, basically.   

Thank you for your detailed explanation. It helped a lot. I sent a picture to the Human Resource department of the job my husband has interviewed for. They told me that my husband needs a stamp along with the part "Upon endorsement serves as a temporary 1-55....."   I am attaching the stamp my husband received and it is not the same one that my friend received. This stamp does not work for my husband to work. :( 

stamp.PNG

2 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

Thank you for your detailed explanation. It helped a lot. I sent a picture to the Human Resource department of the job my husband has interviewed for. They told me that my husband needs a stamp along with the part "Upon endorsement serves as a temporary 1-55....."   I am attaching the stamp my husband received and it is not the same one that my friend received. This stamp does not work for my husband to work. :(

The HR person you talked to is misinformed.  Send this official page to them --

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

The HR person you talked to is misinformed.  Send this official page to them --

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

Thank you. I will send this information to her. My husband could start work next week, but they are insisting he does not have the correct verification for work. uhg!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

stamp.PNG

When your husband arrived in the US he got a passport stamp from the Customs and Border protection, right? The exit stamp from Honduras is irrelevant in this case. The entry stamp from when he went through passport control upon entry to the United states + the visa is what he needs. It should look like this. Does he have a stamp like this from the date when he entered on his CR1 visa?

USA_Entry_Stamp;_20_April_2017.jpg

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jens79 said:

When your husband arrived in the US he got a passport stamp from the Customs and Border protection, right? The exit stamp from Honduras is irrelevant in this case. The entry stamp from when he went through passport control upon entry to the United states + the visa is what he needs. It should look like this. Does he have a stamp like this from the date when he entered on his CR1 visa?

USA_Entry_Stamp;_20_April_2017.jpg

Yes he has this stamp

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

Yes he has this stamp

From the same day as he arrived on his CR1-visa? (Sorry, don't mean to make you seem stupid, just want to make sure there are no misunderstandings.) 

In that case he is good. That means that his CR1 has been used, and it's no longer an active visa, instead it's proof of green card-status, just as it says on the visa. The person in the HR-department is either misinformed, ignorant or an idiot - possibly a combination of all three. Anyway, he or she should be able to read what it says on the visa. This cannot be the first time he or she has come in contact with someone with a temporary green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sorry you are going through this ridiculousness.  Not a good welcome to the USA for new legal immigrants which is sad for a country that claims to have the most modern technology in the world.  My husband had this same problem at the local DMV when he applied for a driver's license.  The supervisor even brought out an beaten-up binder with plastic protector pages and examples of the old I-551 stamps that were out of date when the machine readable visas were rolled out years ago.  Disappointed, we went home and printed out the pages from the USCIS website proving that the visa plus any basic passport entry stamp with his date of arrival in the US served as proof of LPR status for a year.  They didn't like the pages we presented on the second visit and still wouldn't let him apply for a driver's license.  Fortunately, his green card arrived a few days later so we went back with that and were fine.  I continue to be amazed at the lack of communication between DHS and state and local agencies, employers, etc. as to what constitutes documentation of legal status in the US.  There is a computer system called E-Verify or SAVE that enrolled employers can use to verify legal status in the US, but not all employers use it.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Sorry you are going through this ridiculousness.  Not a good welcome to the USA for new legal immigrants which is sad for a country that claims to have the most modern technology in the world.  [...]

I have not heard it in a while, however anyone who has been travelling a bit knows technology is better integrated in daily life in many other countries.  

Best of luck to OP, HR should know how to go from there. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.