Usagi_tsukino

Not bear arms means not willing to take a full oath?

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, i am about to file my application. I am answering "no" to the question if i am willing to bear arms, does this mean i am also supposed to answer "no" to the question if i am willing to take the full oath? I saw an example online where a person who refused to bear arms said "yes" to the full oath.

So:

1) answer "no" to bear arms and provide explanation only to that; OR

2) answer "no" to both questions and send a request to take a modified oath?

Thank you!

Also, if anyone answered "no" to the bear arms question sharing your experience would be highly appreciated!

Edited by Usagi_tsukino

Citizenship:

09/15/2020 - Filed online. Estimated completion given - July 2021 (10 months).

January 2021 - biometric reuse letter

April 2021 - interview scheduled

24/05/2021 - Interview (approved)

Passport:

July 23 - applied, expedited service

August 11 - received the passport

Aug. 16 (approximately) - received passport card

August 20 - received citizenship certificate back

Story of my almost 3 years long pending AOS - click below for details

Spoiler

• March 10 2015 - USCIS received i-130/i-485
  • March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • June 27 2016 - After Infopass, went to senator Durbin office in Chicago.
  • July 8 2016 - Went to Mike Quigley office.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 17 2016: Filed Ombudsman.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • July 29 2016: Sent another useless SR just because.
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: called the supervisor, no answer.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 19 2016: sent a letter to the director of Chicago Field Office.
  • November 22 2016: sent Service Request about i-485 (Lol[2])
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • Jan 27 - sent a service request regarding I-130.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • March 10 2017 - 2 years AOS anniversary...wow. 
  • March 31 - The response to the noid is received by uscis!
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 3:  biometrics
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 
  • December 14: Called uscis, tier 2 officer told me that the case is approved.
  • December 18: Received Approval notice (Dated December 12)

Long story short:
After the initial interview we received:

1) a RFE asking for the same papers again,

2) then were asked to come to the 2nd interview that went fine of course, 

3) then a NOID that was full of mistakes.

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

If you answer no to bearing arms, you have to prove why. I read somewhere that religious exemptions (7th Day Adventists) work, but one company that helped with processing cases said that out of 4,000 cases they processed, only 3 were granted an exemption based on religious views. You can try to apply for a modified oath, but you have to prove that you're mentally incapable of understanding what you're saying during the oath.   

18 hours ago, Usagi_tsukino said:

Hi everyone, i am about to file my application. I am answering "no" to the question if i am willing to bear arms, does this mean i am also supposed to answer "no" to the question if i am willing to take the full oath? I saw an example online where a person who refused to bear arms said "yes" to the full oath.

So:

1) answer "no" to bear arms and provide explanation only to that; OR

2) answer "no" to both questions and send a request to take a modified oath?

Thank you!

Also, if anyone answered "no" to the bear arms question sharing your experience would be highly appreciated!

I don't have an answer for this, but what an interesting question!  What would be your reason for not willing to bear arms? 

Edited by RunTheRoad

3 hours ago, RunTheRoad said:

I don't have an answer for this, but what an interesting question!  What would be your reason for not willing to bear arms? 

Deeply held moral and ethical values, as allowed by Volume 12: Citizenship and Naturalization, Part J, Oath of Allegiance, Chapter 3, Oath of Allegiance Modifications and Waivers [12 USCIS-PM J]: “May be eligible for modifications based on religious training and belief, or conscientious objection arising from a deeply held moral or ethical code.”

Anyway, i applied yesterday, i said i cant take the full oath and attached a letter explaining this and requesting to remove this line. Will see how much trouble they will give me. Let the fun begin again LOL

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

• March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 

Long story short:

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
14 minutes ago, ioxtremod said:

I don't want to be this guy but why applying to get US citizenship if you don't believe in defending the US constitution? Green card gives you 99% of the benefits of citizenship without any of the responsibility.

My thoughts exactly 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

50 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I didn’t take the modification but I know of people who are conscientious objectors to any form of arms. Shooting people is not the only way to defend the constitution, and the oath itself details other ways you can serve your country. 

Lets be realistic, Bearing arms means bearing arms not books or any other substitute. We cant cover the sun with one finger, and a lot of times we must do what we have to to survive. 

8 minutes ago, Neickers said:

Lets be realistic, Bearing arms means bearing arms not books or any other substitute. We cant cover the sun with one finger, and a lot of times we must do what we have to to survive. 

Yeah, and it feels if you object to bear arms to protect the constitution, you're probably also against the 2nd amendment. I understand that some people immigrate in the US for various reasons but many of us really enjoy all the freedoms the US gave (well limited at the moment) and don't want to re-create the same system we have back home.

16 minutes ago, ioxtremod said:

Yeah, and it feels if you object to bear arms to protect the constitution, you're probably also against the 2nd amendment. I understand that some people immigrate in the US for various reasons but many of us really enjoy all the freedoms the US gave (well limited at the moment) and don't want to re-create the same system we have back home.

exactly, being scared is not an excuse to not bear arms. In fact lots of people choose to be conscientious objectors not because of their belief or what not but because they are afraid thats all, but then again still not an excuse.

3 hours ago, ioxtremod said:

I don't want to be this guy but why applying to get US citizenship if you don't believe in defending the US constitution? Green card gives you 99% of the benefits of citizenship without any of the responsibility.

I believe in defending, just not in this way. And i know that it is ok to do so, otherwise they would not give us this option.

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

Long story short:

5 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

I am a firm believer in the constitution (including the 2nd amendment) and would defend it in anyway needed. That includes the OP's right to their opinion and their moral convictions. I do not share OP's believes but applaud their willingness to go through the "hassle" for their believes.

By law, you cannot be forced to "bear arms" if you object based on moral convictions. This includes religious believes, but does not limit it to it.

Both the question and the line in the oath state "when required by law" and you can make a valid argument that you do need an amended oath since your believes are covered by law. The same could be argued for question 48.

If you feel that this does not cover the intend correctly, I would go with marking both questions "no" and submit an explanation for both.

Please keep us updated on the application.

Thank you! :)

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

Long story short:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.